Thai woman seeking extension for Chinese husband says she got death threat from visa agent

webfact

Thai woman seeking extension for Chinese husband says she got death threat from visa agent

6PM.jpg

Picture: Rak Siam News

Rak Siam News reported on Facebook on the case of a Thai woman and her Chinese boyfriend who have gone to the police over the activities of visa agents. 

Earlier they had gone to police about the agents who demanded nearly 50,000 baht to handle an extension of stay. 

They then received a call from a woman from an unspecified number saying that they must withdraw their complaint.

If they didn't and they showed their faces in Pattaya again they would be killed, the woman was alleged to have said. 

A phone number and name of an official at Chonburi immigration was part of the threat.

This has now been reported to the Pattaya station chief Pol Col Apichai Krobpetch who has ordered an investigation. 

The couple - Karnken Sitthiwong, 26, and her Chinese boyfriend who is 37 - were then taken by police to Chonburi immigration. 

Officials there said that the person mentioned in the message as being an official in their office did not exist. 

Source: Rak Siam News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-20

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Officials there said that the person mentioned in the message as being an official in their office did not exist. 

Case closed then........Earlier they had gone to police about the agents who demanded nearly 50,000 baht to handle an extension of stay.What kind of extension was he after,they wer'nt

married,and he is 37,   business ?

regards worgeordie

35 minutes ago, smedly said:

interesting that Chinese Nationals are also using agents to bypass Immigration rules

These agents and their official contacts must be making quite a financial killing

So the demands and threats would suggest!

DOohhhhh <Homer Simpson headslap>  More Chinese exiting the country for good whilst giving friends and neighbors the word not to come in the first place!  Where's Big Joke?  Agents should be shakin' in their boots now. 

1 minute ago, pehice said:

Hello, can I know why anybody needs and agent ?! Thank you.

Hand on heart I use an agent because I'm bone lazy and I can't be bothered screwing around with Immigration officers and some of the games they play, for 5k baht once a year I'm perfectly happy to let somebody friendly take care of it all for me, it does my blood pressure the world of good.

13 minutes ago, connda said:

DOohhhhh <Homer Simpson headslap>  More Chinese exiting the country for good whilst giving friends and neighbors the word not to come in the first place!  Where's Big Joke?  Agents should be shakin' in their boots now. 

Agreed.  Only need to convince 1.4BN left.

6 hours ago, Kim J said:

Involving the police may have been a little hasty. Most likely now they have wind of all this. that 50 000 will only increase.

They did right and if Pattaya are extorting them. They should be stapled to the the chair and bashed in with mug. 

They are well overdue

3 hours ago, connda said:

3 hours ago, fanjita said:

Agreed.  Only need to convince 1.4BN left.

8 hours ago, smedly said:

interesting that Chinese Nationals are also using agents to bypass Immigration rules

I missed in the original story where it said he was from China.  Just says he's Chinese.  He could as likely be from Australia, England, or USA.  

Similar story happened to a friend of mine whose money in bank was 2 weeks short of seasoning time Immigration officer pointed this out to him then politely pushed a piece of paper over to him with the number 3,000 on it, so friend goes to ATM withdraws the money goes back to Jomtien Immigration pays the money and bingo has new extension, mind you Big Joke wasn't on the job then. 

15 hours ago, pehice said:

Hello, can I know why anybody needs and agent ?! Thank you.

Worth it! I don't like the hassle of them sending me back to bkk for an official stamp that my financial letter (pain the butt!) To prove authenticity. Or the picture of my landlord who loves up country is not clear ...get a better copy signed by her!

Hence 10-20k (300- 500 dollars a year) baht all done pick up passport 1 week.

7 hours ago, a977 said:

Similar story happened to a friend of mine whose money in bank was 2 weeks short of seasoning time Immigration officer pointed this out to him then politely pushed a piece of paper over to him with the number 3,000 on it, so friend goes to ATM withdraws the money goes back to Jomtien Immigration pays the money and bingo has new extension, mind you Big Joke wasn't on the job then. 

That must have been some years ago - or very risky, since it is likely not enough to pay the full agent-money chain.  A more recent report I read here indicated 10K Baht for just two days short of "waived seasoning" (not sure which office, though).  Another report quoted 10K at Jomtien for a Non-O stamp, which the applicant did not even need.  It would interesting to see how the pyramid-scheme breaks-down by jurisdiction and rank. 

I would assume the agents get a volume-discount on a "day-loaned-money / no-seasoning package" from immigration, which they re-sell (via public ads) as "no money" extension offers to customers.  Not sure why this couple were offered such a raw-deal - unless the husband was only her boyfriend. 

Sometimes best to keep the yap closed..... if a person Is attempting to use an agent and the cost is not what they expected try to negotiate. If no agreement politely say Thanks out of our range

and walk away. 

If your plan is to live here legally reporting  it while on the surface looks like a good idea can cause unwanted problems.

An In-Law (now x) was a cop (detective robbery homicide). His

son my nephew in law bought a car from my friend sold “As Is”.

Shortly after the car started having minor problems. Ask the buyer 

to pay for the problems and he said no sold “as is”. 

We all kno know most times if you buy “as is” it’s exactly that. 

A few years later in-law told me the story. Colleagues where asked 

everytime you see the seller. Stop him and find a reason to give him a ticket. 

The OP could move to China and get a visa based on marriage.

a whole lot more work than here. 

Have to think before action what the repercussions might be.

Archived