BANGKOK 21 April 2019 09:43
tomster

Beach fishing - has anybody found any decent spots?

I really want to get into beach fishing as an excuse to mess around on some nice beaches with the family.

Has anybody found anywhere where you can catch off the beach into the surf, anywhere from Trat around to Chumpon?

TIA.

I gave up fishing from shore as it is mostly fished out due to the use of very small sized mesh in their nets. I have watched them drag nets along beaches or string them out over river mouths depleting fish stocks and they keep all sized fish etc so there is nothing that has been spawned & grown in the estuaries getting back to the ocean. Unfortunately Thailand has no regulations on size etc or simply doesnt enforce it plus nothing on netters doing as they please. I brought all my fishing gear with me when I originally moved here, thousands of dollars worth and it just sits in the racks, I loved beach/estuary and game fishing in Australia, just not worth doing here as the fish stocks are virtually non existent

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, seajae said:

I gave up fishing from shore as it is mostly fished out due to the use of very small sized mesh in their nets. I have watched them drag nets along beaches or string them out over river mouths depleting fish stocks and they keep all sized fish etc so there is nothing that has been spawned & grown in the estuaries getting back to the ocean. Unfortunately Thailand has no regulations on size etc or simply doesnt enforce it plus nothing on netters doing as they please. I brought all my fishing gear with me when I originally moved here, thousands of dollars worth and it just sits in the racks, I loved beach/estuary and game fishing in Australia, just not worth doing here as the fish stocks are virtually non existent

Where did you try?

I thought this would be the case, but figured there would be some parts that have not been fished out yet - the coast from Trat to Chumpon is pretty long!

Ive seen some Thai people fishing from the beach on the Andaman side. Gulf of Thailand is pretty much all fished out, although if you fish the rocky areas you’re bound to get lucky with grouper and coral trout (really good eating). Although Ive heard you can catch some flatfish around the estuarine areas (chantaburi and further). 

Ive talked to some Thai guys and they say you can catch stingrays from Hua Hin and further south. Pattaya is pretty fished out though unless youre willing to go to Koh Larn and fish around the docks. 

• Thanks 2