Hemingway’s to reopen

BobTH

5 minutes ago, SooKee said:
44 minutes ago, BobTH said:

Certainly looks like they're throwing some money at it. Be interesting to see what it's like.

Expensive?

I loved the old Hemingway's, it was a real treasure and oasis in the heart of Bangkok. I truly hope they can recreate some of the magic here. If it's a brand new building, I imagine it won't be the same as an old colonial style. The render does look nice though ????

Expensive?

I guess it'll be as competitive as it can be what with the location and rents. The original had some great happy hour deals though. Be good to have a decent late afternoon watering hole to chill with a beer and chums when the need arises. The often dead farang style pubs don't cut it for me and the likes of Soi 4 lack the atmosphere and vibe in the late afternoon IMO. As for Hooters, well..... pass.

Posted using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Shaksey said:

Amazing, I was actually really upset (not just internet forum posting upset) when it closed and got town down. 

Very happy about this :-0)

I liked the place very much, and I'm happy to see they might be able to make a success in a new venue, but the real shame is that the authorities saw fit to bulldoze a piece of local heritage out of greed. 

A bit pessimistic about it, will be pretty hard to replicate the old one. Especially the somewhat hidden location and secluded garden did it for me. 

Some things just cant be brought back. Like the Bed Supperclub structure on Soi 13 and we all know how that went.....

Might be another ok tourist bar on Soi 11, depending on what will happen next door at the Old German

Have to agree with those above who are not that hopeful about the location. I visited the Australian Pub on the soi a couple of times earlier this year. Nice pub, but a busy, noisy location blighted by hustlers. Didn't go back. Hemingway's should have moved farther out Suk or somewhere in the even sois. 

On 11/22/2018 at 6:14 AM, lamyai3 said:

I liked the place very much, and I'm happy to see they might be able to make a success in a new venue, but the real shame is that the authorities saw fit to bulldoze a piece of local heritage out of greed. 

The authorities did not bulldoze it - out of greed or any other reason.  It was privately owned land and was privately sold to a property development group.  

You could argue it should have been a listed building but unfortunately the Thais don't seem to value such heritage.  But please get your rants right - the authorities got nothing out of it except for the usual withholding tax and transfer fees (not much).  And they certainly didn't do the bulldozing.

Although I also think it's a crying shame that we lost such a beautiful old building in the city, before crying Thai greed put yourself in the shoes of the owner.  You own some land with a lovely building on it.  Someone comes along and offers you umpteen million dollars for it but they will demolish the house and build a 27 storey hotel instead.  You'd turn it down right because you're not greedy?

I know what I'd do, sad to say.

• 1 month later...

The vibe of the old location can't be replicated, so it will be just another new bar on Soi 11.

However probably a welcome addition.

The renovation of the Old German Beerhouse + the new Eleven Bangkok might give the whole area a new direction.

By the way, what is the latest on the development of the Soi 11/1 area?

• 2 months later...

it is now open. I was walking down Soi 11 and saw a few people in drinking. I couldn't believe it at first as I heard no news or fan fair. I spoke to management and they said it's just a soft opening for now, so a few things need ironing out. Overall i like it. ok nothing can replicate what the old hems was, and im sure some will complain about its location. But if you see the attention to detail they have gone to, from the floor tiles to the chandeliers, you`ll be impressed. I was a huge fan of the old place, and i recon they have nailed it.

Alcohol is poison... Absolutely no benefits from drinking it and it'll ruin your health and your behaviour/morals and your bank account if you drink enough of it. I just can't understand for the life of me why so many falangs in BKK need daily poison to feel like they're living. This is the one climate that you definitely SHOULDN'T be drinking any alcohol in. If you need to drink that poison to relax or enjoy yourself, you have a big problem. What's wrong with a nice cold glass of water or freshly squeezed juice? Just what you need in a place like Thailand.

3 minutes ago, Thainess said:

Alcohol is poison... Absolutely no benefits from drinking it and it'll ruin your health and your behaviour/morals and your bank account if you drink enough of it. I just can't understand for the life of me why so many falangs in BKK need daily poison to feel like they're living. This is the one climate that you definitely SHOULDN'T be drinking any alcohol in. If you need to drink that poison to relax or enjoy yourself, you have a big problem. What's wrong with a nice cold glass of water or freshly squeezed juice? Just what you need in a place like Thailand.

Because at 63, life isn't all that much fun, and 4-5 drinks in an afternoon, makes the day feel much better.

If I were in another country I'd add 2-3 joints to my daily booze allowance, and have beer by the pool for breakfast.

On 11/22/2018 at 6:14 AM, lamyai3 said:

Condos must get built... The Chinese are waiting...

Do ANY old time establishments still remain in Krungthep? 

There is a lot of shit the thai's take from complaining farang, most of which doesn't really bother me, but the destruction of such a beautiful property and what can easily be classed as an institution of sorts in Bangkok is just crazy to me. Cheap charlies, yes ok, wooden bar built on the side of a concrete block, but a teak house?!?!?!? 

I suppose in a way it's what makes Thailand Thailand but, still.... ???? 

The only thing sacred is the temples and palace it would seem. Even the parks are fair game downtown

On 3/29/2019 at 4:23 PM, BritManToo said:

Because at 63, life isn't all that much fun, and 4-5 drinks in an afternoon, makes the day feel much better.

If I were in another country I'd add 2-3 joints to my daily booze allowance, and have beer by the pool for breakfast.

Go on, how many times a day do you have sex mr Brit?

On 3/29/2019 at 9:07 PM, DDBKK said:

Do ANY old time establishments still remain in Krungthep? 

There is a lot of shit the thai's take from complaining farang, most of which doesn't really bother me, but the destruction of such a beautiful property and what can easily be classed as an institution of sorts in Bangkok is just crazy to me. Cheap charlies, yes ok, wooden bar built on the side of a concrete block, but a teak house?!?!?!? 

I suppose in a way it's what makes Thailand Thailand but, still.... ???? 

The only thing sacred is the temples and palace it would seem. Even the parks are fair game downtown

Building smuilding. What about the world class natural attractions that Thai greed has relentlessly destroyed. Phuket, Maya, Similans, Phi Phi...the list is endless.

Archived