IMac dying ?

NE1

My iMac keeps restarting. It will load to about 70% of the bar , then restarts. I have tried holding down command r and nothing happens. I tried another combination that sets a globe spinning and try’s an internet recovery. That lasts for approx. 30 seconds then nothing.

Any suggestions welcome.

2 hours ago, richsilver said:

Try connecting a USB keyboard if you can.  The system will not recognize your command r if the Bluetooth is not working.

It is recognizing the command option r to take me to the internet set up , but as I said that lasts for about 30 seconds.

On 11/20/2018 at 5:49 PM, fanjita said:

Apple store for you.  

Is that the new one in Bangkok . Do they do repIrs etc ? 

Try booting in “safe mode”.

1. Hold down the shift key immediately after you hear the start up chime.
  2. Release the shift key when you see the Apple logo.

it may take a while to complete the start up but if it works you’ll only see the Finder and no other apps that were open when you last shut down (I.e. browsers, etc.). 

If there were any corrupted files and/or directory structures, this should fix it. (That’s one of the functions of booting in safe mode.) If that was the problem,you should be able to restart and the OS should load/boot up properly.

32 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Hank Gunn , I will give it a go , but I don’t  get home till the week-end. 

I’ll also buy a USB keyboard see if that helps.

Yeah, I’d try that first. Get a USB keyboard and try booting in safe mode as I described.

if it does boot up into safe mode, give it a few minutes before restarting, just to give the system time to reset and repair its normal boot system (files and directory structures).

I’m curious to see if that works so please let us/me know.

good luck 

Well I connected a wired keyboard in and went through numerous permutations. The only two that responded were , “ Option “ that gave me two options ,  “ Mac HD and Recovery 10.13.6 , neither worked. 

They load my progress bar to 60% then restarts 

The other was “ Command option R “ this gave me the internet option but that loaded in a minute then restarted and sane old same old 

0AC5517A-FE89-4430-B06C-6FDC76B13318.jpeg

9EC19B2E-4F1E-46F6-9282-3E5C898F6D65.jpeg

Well it was a trip to ICare at Hua Hin.

Took me Imac , explained and showed them what was happening , " command " keys not working etc. No problem they said. , come back in 3 hours we will install IOS Sierra as High Sierra might be a problem for the machine as it is old and we will clean it up for you.

Went back 3 hours later.  " Sorry , we can not get it started , can you leave it with us two or 3 days.

Mike , thanks for that. But I am not confident enough to start stripping my Imac down. I had a look on you tube for help , but there looks like to many things can get disconnected. 

I tend to lose or break intricate things , fat fingers and no patience.

2 hours ago, NE1 said:

Mike , thanks for that. But I am not confident enough to start stripping my Imac down. I had a look on you tube for help , but there looks like to many things can get disconnected. 

I tend to lose or break intricate things , fat fingers and no patience.

If Iconsiam is to far from you place you can take it to any Apple authorized repair shop like iMedic or iCare. 

As above , the Imac has been with Icare since Tuesday lunch time. As of today Saturday they have not been in touch , despite insisting on a tel. contact number and an e-mail address.

So we just phoned them , and what I can gather is my graphics card is shot and because it is early 2011 model , there are no replacements.

Sods law , the first thing to go tits up in 7 years and it cannot be fixed.

Having said that , would a duff graphics card cause my continuous restarting ?

Archived