BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Hua Hin food sellers to sign MoU not to overcharge customers

Hua Hin food sellers to sign MoU not to overcharge customers  

2018-11-20_18-31-23.jpg

Food-shop owners and street food sellers in Hua Hin seaside resort town will sign a memorandum of understanding with the Hua Hin municipal administration which requires them to strictly abide by trading rules and, most importantly, not to overcharge their customers, especially for seafoods.

The measure to rein in the food sellers in the famous resort town popular among vacationers from Bangkok and foreign tourists follows a recent social media post by a Sea Write author Somchai Liewwarin, aka Win Liewwarin, who complained that he was charged several thousand baht for just a few plates of seafoods when he dined with a few friends at a seafood shop in the municipal area about two months ago.

The post has drawn many responses from netizens criticizing overcharging practice by seafoods restaurants and food-shops on the famous walking street.  It has also prompted the district chief officer, Thanon Panphipat, to take action to address the problem.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/hua-hin-food-sellers-to-sign-mou-not-to-overcharge-customers/

thaipbs.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-11-21

Now if only someone can sign an MOU with just anyone else in Thailand that over charge and gouge foreigners in general,  like 5 times more than what the locals pay just to enter a national parks) that will make Thailand a much better place to be..

So every food seller in Hua Him signed the MOU.:cheesy:

Just another load of BS.

Perhaps the MOU should have been signed using squid ink - then there could have been a photo-op too.

Pointless? Just as pointless as signing an MOU in Thailand.

(No squid were harmed in the writing of this cynical comment)

I, Somchai, do solemnly swear that I shall not cheat by means of overcharging seafood served to my customers. So help me Buddha.

I assume the sea-food sellers will attach the same importance to these signed bits of paper as the government does to its commitments to free speech, free assembly and human rights of asylum seekers. Little or none.  

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Somchai Liewwarin, aka Win Liewwarin, who complained that he was charged several thousand baht for just a few plates of seafoods

He accidentally got a foreigners bill....

They should be forced to display a menu with prices,a simple

solution,a MOU with not worth the paper is written on.

regards Worgeordie

17 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

He accidentally got a foreigners bill....

Funny! But didn't that happen a couple of months back when the food-stall owner had thought the customer was Chinese, not Thai.

The government sets the example with dual pricing at national parks and attractions. Vendors just follow the example, take profits where you can.

We wanted to buy a nice new condo in Hua-hin....it's the new one consisting of 2 buildings with huge pools between them and faux grass gardens (forgot the name). 

But outside the building grounds it was impossible to walk over the trottoirs because the foodvendors put tables and chairs all over it...

Also the Thai liked to swim in the pool fully dressed....so dirty.

So we lost interest . Their restaurant was very good though.

This is kind of interesting, because who defines overcharging? Chicken at Gordon Ramsey is always going to cost more than chicken at at KFC - but it is still just chicken. You would think ordinarily this is simply a market forces problem - enforce pricing displays and the customer takes care of the rest. I think this more reflects a back-story suggesting that consumers / tourists are losing confidence on a scale which is beginning to trouble local policy makers. High profile interventions seemingly are aimed more at restoring confidence. I was very interested to see how busy Cha-Am has become this year - most of the Thai seem to be cutting their journey south by 30km or so. Never seen the beaches there so crowded as they were a couple of weeks back; a stark contrast really, to Hua Hin, outside of places like Baan Khun Por. If internal tourism starts turning its back on the place, there's a lot of money at risk.

In a free market, the MOU is your feet.  If you don't like the price - walk away.

The Municipality must enforce the displaying of price lists by each restaurant However, it the so called 'Night Market' area two central streets are taken over nightly by stall and food vendors who surely pay 'duties' to the municipality and include that in their prices.