Come back Farangs! Tourism in Chiang Mai decimated by Chinese exodus

webfact

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe do something about the horrendous traffic and air pollution first? Last time I was in Chiang Mai was in late 2011 and half the cars on the roads were songthaews, especially those red ones, and almost all of them were driving around with just a few passengers or even empty, belching out huge clouds of black diesel fumes. I rode up Doi Suthep a few times on my mountain bike, but had to do that early in the morning (like 7.30 - 8 AM) before the songthaews started going up there as well in large numbers, otherwise I'd suffocate.

I was in Chiang Mai in the winter of 1988-1989 and almost every day the sky was clear and you could see Doi Suthep clear as a bell. In 2011 I couldn't even see Doi Suthep on most days and that was before the burning season, when visibility becomes even worse.

The dry-to-ex-rancid smell of a dearth of facts ... okay ... yes, there are no facts here, and, (hallelujah) that's a reason I live here, in fact ... I'll even settle for the fresh-baked smell of clever factoids.

Here's a factoid I just made up: the traffic jam I was in going to Airport Plaza yesterday was because of all the people leaving town.

~o:37;

My wife and I were discussing this issue at lunch today, shortly afterwards the lovely Lemon, my wife's Chinese language teacher of two years ago called so wifey put the question to her - by way of background: Lemon is Chinese aged 25 years, she came to Chiang Mai to teach Mandarin for six months before returning home to study for her MBA. she and wifey became close friends and they speak almost weekly.

Lemon says there are a number of reasons why the Chinese aren't visiting currently: some are unhappy with Mr Loadsa Watches remarks following the sinking of the boat in Phuket, blaming the Chinese owner went down like a lead balloon and there is resentment which spread quickly. Without prompting she added that currency weakness is an issue, mass-market tours operate on slim margins which have now been eroded to almost nothing hence that sector is hurting. The final point she made was that whilst Thailand is still a prefered destination for many the cleaner air and scenic beauty of the South is prefered by many to the pollution in the North. Those things said she tells that several of her friends from school will visit the North at Xmas/New Year but they have money so exchange rates not so much of an issue.

10 minutes ago, orang37 said:

The dry-to-ex-rancid smell of a dearth of facts ... okay ... yes, there are no facts here, and, (hallelujah) that's a reason I live here, in fact ... I'll even settle for the fresh-baked smell of clever factoids.

Here's a factoid I just made up: the traffic jam I was in going to Airport Plaza yesterday was because of all the people leaving town.

~o:37;

Preparation H works well on factoids, or so I'm led to believe.

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

Yes farang LOVE to sit on concrete stools between loads of chinese ....it's their dream when on holiday ????...maybe a soidog comes to sniff your leg, maybe annoying salespeople come to interrupt your conversation...it's all exactly what farang like ????

If a Farang likes to go to Chiang Mai does that mean that the Chinese people should stay away... because you don't like them?

The Chinese as tourists are overrated. They have a reputation of being very stingy when it comes to buying goods and services. It's only the potential quantity of them that has the Thai authorities salivating.

Chiang Mai doesn't really have all that many attractions. Chiang Rai makes a much better jumping-off point for a number of interesting places.

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

Yes farang LOVE to sit on concrete stools between loads of chinese ....it's their dream when on holiday ????...maybe a soidog comes to sniff your leg, maybe annoying salespeople come to interrupt your conversation...it's all exactly what farang like ????

….yes - while waiting for the farmers start burning their fields....:thumbsup:

I think all the moaning about Chinese tourists is done by the bar owners massage parlours and bar girls. The Chinese avoid these sort of places. I think the real problem is the decline of sexpats and sex tourists.

26 minutes ago, cmsally said:

A lot of the Northern Hemisphere tourists would stay longer in winter if the visa situation was more accommodating.

yep totally agree with this, long stayers aside there is a huge amount of northern europeans wanting to escape the winter but SETV restrictions (so mum you have to travel to laos then .. then .. to renew lol) and restrictive METVs put a dampener on things for them.

1 hour ago, Kasset Tak said:

It's like this everywhere outside Bangkok and Pattaya. There are no jobs for the next generation and almost all new factories and other companies opens in Bangkok. So, if it continues like this where already about 1/4 of the Thai population today live and work in the Bangkok Metropolis... then this will become a country where anything outside the biggest cities are nothing more than tourist destinations!
One example is the small city (50,000 registered people) where I live, basically 90% of the population that are between school age and 50+ don't live here, they live and work in Bangkok while the "grandparents" that lives here are raising the children and keeps the local stores and farms running, and those you see here that are between 20-50years old are either working in some form of government job or their spouses are!

Agreed, decentralisation is probably best solution to a lot of Thailand's problems.

Usually by now here in Phuket the roads are packed with tourist buses and vans and Central Mall is doing lots of business, instead it's like the middle of rainy season. My neighbor who has a tourist van is hurting big time, especially since his wife demanded he buy a 2 story unit in Kathu for 2.5 million baht. YIPES. At least she's working to.

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

My wife works at a tourist attraction in the Mesa Valley, business is booming and she's rushed off her feet, fewer Chinese but still plenty of tourists. AND, try driving the 107 and 1096 on a weekend, it's becoming manic with huge delays and queues. Sooo, if Muang is lite on tourists I don't know where the ones we're seeing are staying and eating. 

Kaoboi Bebobp & Dude007...you're confused, it's easy, The Mesa Valley is the area just North of Chiang Mai where all the tourist attraction are, Tiger Kingdom, Elephant Poopoopaer Park The Elephant Camp, The Orchid Farm. The Snake Farm and the road to Samoeng, Moncheam and the Viewpoint etc etc. Tourists in the thousands who visit Chiang Mai spend their times at those places during the day time. The 107 and 1096 are the roads that get you from CM to the Mesa Valley.

when the government was shutting down 'illegal' guesthouses most of the people of this forum were cheering, I was saying that the tourist will not choose expansive hotels over cheap GH but they will just go somewhere else... Somebody called me a fool...

Just now, MekkOne said:

when the government was shutting down 'illegal' guesthouses most of the people of this forum were cheering, I was saying that the tourist will not choose expansive hotels over cheap GH but they will just go somewhere else... Somebody called me a fool...

He was wrong, you are not a fool , you are well clever

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Fake news!

Only yesterday weren't Thai Airways saying there were more visitors:

"more Thai Airways flights have been booked by Chinese passport holders as many of them will be celebrating the Loi Krathong Festival and New Year in Thailand."

To be honest, the place is a bit of a mess.  I've gone on about this before, but I know many farangs who've come to grief on the broken footpaths, missing tiles, broken man hole covers.  Having 30cm (1ft) kerbs doesn't help, and the dirt on the roads is rarely, if ever swept up.

Does the city even own a mechanical road sweeper? I've never seen one.

Chiang Mai is lots more than TaePae gate and corpulent pigeons.

A traffic light or two for pedestrians would be appreciated;  Not too many tourists are driving cars, and no-one gives a hoot for zebra crossings.

2 minutes ago, masuk said:

A traffic light or two for pedestrians would be appreciated;  Not too many tourists are driving cars, and no-one gives a hoot for zebra crossings.

Thailand is built for car not for pedestrians, no pace is pedestrians friendly in this country, walkways right next to highways were incompetent drivers are driving as fast as they can and if an accident is happening and you're in the wrong place you'll be probably dead...

The authorities have made Chiangmai boring as heaven on a Saturday night. 12 o'clock closing might satisfy some boring old fart policy maker but it is no wonder the place is now near deserted at night. It used to be go out at 8, have a meal then go to ones favorite meeting place and tell war stories and lies over a few beers. If you know you will be tossed out at 12 you may as well stay home and have visitors. Chinese like to shop. In Chiangmai everyone sells the same stuff from open markets to the big shopping centers. All the red tape farrangs must go through to visit someplace else makes people like me stay home. Many locals make us feel welcome but these dumb policy makers just want to harass us till we move to Phillipines or elsewhere. For tourists renting motor bikes to constantly being pulled over for license checks even though wearing helmets leaves a real bad taste for many tourists.

Archived