BANGKOK 23 July 2019 18:26
webfact

Come back Farangs! Tourism in Chiang Mai decimated by Chinese exodus

The Chiang Mai tourist numbers have been in decline for years and the so-called high season is not happening. And now it seems the Chinese have learned that Chiang Mai is boring and has nothing much to offer.

Bring back the nightlife, no more early closing for bars, allow licences for more adult entertainments in the city.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

But on the 4th November, there was a post on this forum 

which stated "Bookings Surge at Chiang Mai Hotels for Cool Season",

wishful thinking ?  or fake news.

regards worgeordie

What do you think, wishful thinking or fake news?

I think both.

• Like 1

Bridges burned; golden geese throttled. All that remains is to apportion the blame, because it couldn't possibly be the fault of anyone Thai...

• Like 2

Maybe do something about the horrendous traffic and air pollution first? Last time I was in Chiang Mai was in late 2011 and half the cars on the roads were songthaews, especially those red ones, and almost all of them were driving around with just a few passengers or even empty, belching out huge clouds of black diesel fumes. I rode up Doi Suthep a few times on my mountain bike, but had to do that early in the morning (like 7.30 - 8 AM) before the songthaews started going up there as well in large numbers, otherwise I'd suffocate.

I was in Chiang Mai in the winter of 1988-1989 and almost every day the sky was clear and you could see Doi Suthep clear as a bell. In 2011 I couldn't even see Doi Suthep on most days and that was before the burning season, when visibility becomes even worse.

• Like 2

A lot of the Northern Hemisphere tourists would stay longer in winter if the visa situation was more accommodating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The dry-to-ex-rancid smell of a dearth of facts ... okay ... yes, there are no facts here, and, (hallelujah) that's a reason I live here, in fact ... I'll even settle for the fresh-baked smell of clever factoids.

Here's a factoid I just made up: the traffic jam I was in going to Airport Plaza yesterday was because of all the people leaving town.

~o:37;

10 minutes ago, orang37 said:

The dry-to-ex-rancid smell of a dearth of facts ... okay ... yes, there are no facts here, and, (hallelujah) that's a reason I live here, in fact ... I'll even settle for the fresh-baked smell of clever factoids.

Here's a factoid I just made up: the traffic jam I was in going to Airport Plaza yesterday was because of all the people leaving town.

~o:37;

Preparation H works well on factoids, or so I'm led to believe.

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

Yes farang LOVE to sit on concrete stools between loads of chinese ....it's their dream when on holiday 😎...maybe a soidog comes to sniff your leg, maybe annoying salespeople come to interrupt your conversation...it's all exactly what farang like 😂

If a Farang likes to go to Chiang Mai does that mean that the Chinese people should stay away... because you don't like them?

Edited by dotpoom
  • Like 1

Air pollution,  dual pricing, ridiculous licencing laws for bars and clubs, unsafe roads, increasing tax on alcohol, Tuk Tuk drivers fighting in the middle of the street with their competition .... 

What do they expect? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The Chinese as tourists are overrated. They have a reputation of being very stingy when it comes to buying goods and services. It's only the potential quantity of them that has the Thai authorities salivating.

Chiang Mai doesn't really have all that many attractions. Chiang Rai makes a much better jumping-off point for a number of interesting places.

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

Yes farang LOVE to sit on concrete stools between loads of chinese ....it's their dream when on holiday 😎...maybe a soidog comes to sniff your leg, maybe annoying salespeople come to interrupt your conversation...it's all exactly what farang like 😂

….yes - while waiting for the farmers start burning their fields....:thumbsup:

• Like 2

I think all the moaning about Chinese tourists is done by the bar owners massage parlours and bar girls. The Chinese avoid these sort of places. I think the real problem is the decline of sexpats and sex tourists.