Come back Farangs! Tourism in Chiang Mai decimated by Chinese exodus

webfact

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/21/2018 at 3:35 PM, johnmcc6 said:

The authorities have made Chiangmai boring as heaven on a Saturday night. 12 o'clock closing might satisfy some boring old fart policy maker but it is no wonder the place is now near deserted at night. It used to be go out at 8, have a meal then go to ones favorite meeting place and tell war stories and lies over a few beers. If you know you will be tossed out at 12 you may as well stay home and have visitors. Chinese like to shop. In Chiangmai everyone sells the same stuff from open markets to the big shopping centers. All the red tape farrangs must go through to visit someplace else makes people like me stay home. Many locals make us feel welcome but these dumb policy makers just want to harass us till we move to Phillipines or elsewhere. For tourists renting motor bikes to constantly being pulled over for license checks even though wearing helmets leaves a real bad taste for many tourists.

Sounds like you need Warm Up in your life. Openly stays open beyond curfew. Such a wonderful place with great clientele

6 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

A city doesn't have to be just one thing, it can be several things but each with a different emphasis and in different proportions, getting rid of one or more of the half dozen or so basic elements entirely is however a dangerous game I think. 

Not to worry, you can always go to Chiang Mai to eat and sleep. 

It is the same old complaints you are hearing in Pattaya.

No customers...

Because there are way too many bars, restaurants and hotels there.

Too many "smart" people who think they can out business the other guy now crying.

Not with the bars I guess because if you listen to the experts here, there are no more bars. So you can add the way too many coffee shops and flop houses in CM to the others on the list.  

I will never go to a place where everythings closed up by midnight.

That's fine if you're working or living somewhere but not for the purposes of tourism where people like to relax and not have to plan everything on some artificial schedule.

1 hour ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Sounds like you need Warm Up in your life. Openly stays open beyond curfew. Such a wonderful place with great clientele

Same in Bkk, given the best night out in the world and in only four years of action man and they've turned it into North Yorkshire on a rainy Tuesday night..... Talk about killing the goose that laid the golden eggs ??....... But it's all ok because we'll give you a few free visas and all will be ok....... my rear end it will !  

37 minutes ago, britishrepublican said:

I was merely responding to someone else's post.

Sometimes the truth is the most offensive.

"I was merely responding to someone else's post"

Of course you were! One mention of Brexit and you come out all guns blazing at great length  with your anti Labour rhetoric. Stick to the lack of Chinese in Chiang Mai please!

20 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Because the Chinese aren't coming or because they can't get a hotel license!

And, if a hotel enters the market solely on the basis of Chinese tourism they probably shouldn't have got into the market in the first place, I suspect this is not abnormal turnover of hotels in CM but others may know better.

And and...the article quotes that overall tourist numbers fell by a whopping 0.51% in October over the same month previous year .....there can be no doubt, tourism in Thailand is finished forever on that basis, arf arf.

On 11/21/2018 at 6:27 PM, sanemax said:

I am sure that they are aware of the effects of the strong Baht , but there are more important thing that trying to attract more tourists .

Imports and exports are far more important than a few tourists 

Imports with strong baht is good business..... exports with a strong baht not so good, thailand  depends a lot on tourism, thus a not so strong (not weak) baht would help a lot the retirees already here, they would get more for their pound, euro or USD and would help the ones not living here YET, with a better exchange rate they would consider coming, instead they are looking elsewhere, where their currency has higher return value

2 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Imports with strong baht is good business..... exports with a strong baht not so good, thailand  depends a lot on tourism, thus a not so strong (not weak) baht would help a lot the retirees already here, they would get more for their pound, euro or USD and would help the ones not living here YET, with a better exchange rate they would consider coming, instead they are looking elsewhere, where their currency has higher return value

If we say that Tourism (direct and indirect) is 20% of GDP, and exports is say, 60%, why would the government care about a few expats who live here and attracting  new ones? 

2 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Thailand is still rated I believe as one of the top ten places in the world to retire this includes financial consideration.

Taking everything into consideration this place is not that far off cost wise then other SEA countries.

One has to be a no money lifer or total cheap Charlie to pinch a penny in a decision as to where they want to live their life based on exchange rates.

But I guess if a total third world life is what one wants to save a few bucks, then so be it.

7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Thailand is still rated I believe as one of the top ten places in the world to retire this includes financial consideration.

Taking everything into consideration this place is not that far off cost wise then other SEA countries.

One has to be a no money lifer or total cheap Charlie to pinch a penny in a decision as to where they want to live their life based on exchange rates.

But I guess if a total third world life is what one wants to save a few bucks, then so be it.

It's an age-dependency thing, younger folk have choices, older folks, especially those who have families and have been here for a long time are exchange rate dependent and have few choices.

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

Presumably hotels aimed at Chinese market. Makes a big difference if they are talking leasehold or freehold. Many of the Chinese have taken on long leases and their properties aimed specifically at Chinese market. Can't think of specifically anywhere with a for sale sign, but many places are up for sale if the price is right.

On 11/22/2018 at 2:36 AM, quandow said:

I'm currently in the states, helping a dying relative pass over to the other side. Because of this new round of clueless, hapless administration decisions, I'm returning to Thailand in January, closing out the apartment I still have, and will start looking to relocate elsewhere once this caregiving bout is over. There is a radical change permeating throughout LOS. It's been a slow creep coming in, but it feels like a tsunami is about to break. It's just not fun any more!

I hear ya..came here to lay low until after mid-terms and our jackass President, and it just feels different this time, as Im headed back now that Dumps hands are tied somewhat and Thailnd just seems off..and yep the fun is gone..note sure if I need to try a new location here or a new country..but feeling is mutual..creeping in

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Base it on VISA, 90 day reporting, immigration corruption, TM30 nonsense ....... Thailand is a loser.

Base it on mysterious foreigner deaths ..... Thailand is a loser.

Base it on dual pricing ....... Thailand is a loser.

Vietnam and the Phillippines are way easier now.

But cannabis may change all that.

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Base it on VISA, 90 day reporting, immigration corruption, TM30 nonsense ....... Thailand is a loser.

The PI is easier for a reason....lack of infrastructure, gun violence is endemic, metal detectors at every shopping mall and guards with shotguns in every bank, supermarket, entertainment venue, natural disasters decimate half the country every year plus corruption is equally as bad if not worse....but the visa's are cheaper and easy to get!

Thailand is a country of racists full of complexes who have not achieved anything like African countries so they bully over those

they can e.g. expat who have decided to live here

a small hell in the tropics and more people know about it
and bypasses this piece of the world

2 minutes ago, marqus12 said:

Thailand is a country of racists full of complexes who have not achieved anything like African countries so they bully over those

they can e.g. expat who have decided to live here

a small hell in the tropics and more people know about it
and bypasses this piece of the world

This in-depth analysis has been brought to you following a three week vacation in Pattaya and after reading reports in The Sun and The Express every week - other articles in this series include, good restaurants in Jaywick Sands and Bridlington for budget travellers.

12 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

This in-depth analysis has been brought to you following a three week vacation in Pattaya and after reading reports in The Sun and The Express every week - other articles in this series include, good restaurants in Jaywick Sands and Bridlington for budget travellers.

no.... I noticed this in the eyes of my Thai partner
even she thinks everything is ok
although I am the father of a Thai citizen and her child????????

54 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I totally get it but for me the Visa requirements are my last consideration when looking for a place to live.

I would not care if it was every 30 days reports I would still choose Thailand over the other places.

Just me I guess been there done that at every other places, I like it here.

9 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I totally get it but for me the Visa requirements are my last consideration when looking for a place to live.

I would not care if it was every 30 days reports I would still choose Thailand over the other places.

Just me I guess been there done that at every other places, I like it here.

Apparently you're used to appearing at  the police station every

week ... However, most people have problems accepting this

Archived