BANGKOK 23 April 2019 19:04
webfact

Come back Farangs! Tourism in Chiang Mai decimated by Chinese exodus

Som nam naa..........Just came back from Penang this morning, there were three westerners on the whole train, it used to be packed out and one hell of a session....... now it's dead, along with many other places that made Thailand once the best night out in the world....... Mind you it's the first time that i've walked through immigration without a question, i think he was about to say welcome, but face took over........

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fanjita said:

All very valid points but don't forget the ever continuing strong Thai Baht in all of this.  It's a relevant part of the jigsaw that is tourism.

Currency exchange rate is the BIG part of the tourism industry, somehow the boss didn't see it YET

13 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Currency exchange rate is the BIG part of the tourism industry, somehow the boss didn't see it YET

Thanks, Mavideol.  I can confirm that your average UK economy class tourist just hasn't got the funds for a two week holiday in LOS.  If they have then it's going to be an expensive holiday at that.

Brexit has killed the exchange rate for all currencies for well over two years now.  

20 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

I am sure that they are aware of the effects of the strong Baht , but there are more important thing that trying to attract more tourists .

Imports and exports are far more important than a few tourists 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Chiang Mai News quoted operators as saying that negative incidents and the resulting adverse social media comment had affected the Chinese tourism market considerably. 

Perhaps the operators need to listen to themselves.... and act proactively in reverseing the negatives, by improving their operations /services/ attitudes/ safety..... 

😂😂😂 how naive of me...

You get what you sow! For months we have heard how they only want this type of tourist or that type, quality this and quality that, all of course without offering anything In return. As usual it has been ME ME ME, what I want.....Well, now you have got what you rightly deserve, and all your crap enticements with free visa, double entry, two for the price of one etc. etc. the list goes on and on, won't do your whining any good now! Trying to have your cake and eat it always ends the same way. In fact you have survived longer than you deserved and longer than I hoped or expected, now you get to reap what you sow! Excuse me while I take care of my heart, it seems to be bleeding.

Edited by Formaleins
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Thailand had been enjoying very good tourism money for decades not because of the peoples' capability, it is simply lucky.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Imports and exports are far more important than a few tourists 

29 odd million people is a lot of dollars coming in and yes imports and exports are important but sooner or later the baht will turn down. The baht being strong is a strong deterrent. I can go to Bali and buy many things at a better price for a holiday and the Chinese are going there in droves. I have friends in Jakarta that live a much better life than me on the same money due to exchange rates. 

Exchange rates always played parts in my holiday choices. 

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Vietnam and The Philippines have almost the same rate to the pound now, as they had before Brexit.

Only Thai currency is strong.

I don't keep an eye on the Dong (except my own one) or the Peso so quite irrelevant to me, but thanks for the gen, nonetheless.  

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Vietnam and The Philippines have almost the same rate to the pound now, as they had before Brexit.

And I can live very well, in fact, better in the Philippines now then Thailand on the AUD. Just a shame the Philippines just did not get the chance to improve. Only two things really put me off the Philippines - Typhoons and Earthquakes; the rest I could live with.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Cheap tourist visa's not working?

chinese yuan was 5.07 only 5 months ago now 4.75 think all countries are sick of thai baht been riddiculous levels , same as against uk pound it used to be 70 baht to pound 15 years ago now 42 think there will be less uk tourists soon and if it continues even the retired pensioners will be coming back to uk , ALSO ITS said after BREXIT the baht will be going to 29 to uk pound within 5 years after so thailand better get its act together and DEVALUE THE THAI BAHT BACK TO 70 TO THE POUND AND STOP SCAMMING US !!!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

29 odd million people is a lot of dollars coming in and yes imports and exports are important but sooner or later the baht will turn down. The baht being strong is a strong deterrent. I can go to Bali and buy many things at a better price for a holiday and the Chinese are going there in droves. I have friends in Jakarta that live a much better life than me on the same money due to exchange rates. 

Exchange rates always played parts in my holiday choices. 

Been reading Thai Visa since 2005 and there was always someone saying the baht would fall.  Not yet.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Been reading Thai Visa since 2005 and there was always someone saying the baht would fall.  Not yet.

Everything has a cycle. I have seen enough cycles in my life NOT to say it will NEVER happen. It may, it may not but nothing is set in stone. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

But on the 4th November, there was a post on this forum 

which stated "Bookings Surge at Chiang Mai Hotels for Cool Season",

wishful thinking ?  or fake news.

regards worgeordie

One or the other. Just a wild guess but maybe it took this long for all the advanced tour bookings to get out of the  system after the 46 drowned on the (Chinese owned???)  Phoenix (which has finally risen again now) as the name might suggest.   BTW a friend who lives 7 mths a year in Phuket says the Chinese are very thin on the ground now, but the Russians are back.

Edited by The Deerhunter