BANGKOK 25 April 2019 06:48
webfact

Come back Farangs! Tourism in Chiang Mai decimated by Chinese exodus

2 hours ago, moe666 said:

European and American down turn still hasn't totally recovered from 2008 although it does appear to be about over. The fact that a few people are refused entry because of an appearance of living here with the stamps and multiply tourist visas is not one of the pressing concerns of the occassional tourist who probably knows nothing about that particular crack down. 

Europe/ UK and also the USA may be heading into the next downturn in 2019/2020.  Agree that the typical tourist does not worry about being denied entry.   

9 hours ago, fruitman said:

Yes farang LOVE to sit on concrete stools between loads of chinese ....it's their dream when on holiday 😎...maybe a soidog comes to sniff your leg, maybe annoying salespeople come to interrupt your conversation...it's all exactly what farang like 😂

You forgot the exciting adventures to clean up the rubbish on the streets / beaches (yes, I know there are no beaches in CM).

For farangs to come in big numbers we need an express farang lane at the airport, abolishment of 90 day reporting, free one year tourist visa's with the possibility of a free one year extension, tax on wine and spirits to be abolished, etc, etc, etc.😁

• Like 2

Oh! Now they want us back! 

As a 7+ year resident of CM, I won't miss the Chinese one bit! Good riddance.

My taxi driver from the airport last week said he doesn't need them either. With the "zero tour" packages, he said he makes absolutely no money from Chinese tourists...and he wants farang to come to CM. 

Thank the 'Junta' for it....... No other countries trust a country without a 'real' government and especially when they don't take of tourists that do come.........

10 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

It seems abundantly clear that wherever the Chinese go en masse, is subsequently avoided by everyone else. Sihanoukville is a classic example. Five years ago it was packed with tourists from everywhere, the Chinese invaded and everybody else has left. And once the good tourists have gone, they don't come back. Thailand put its eggs in the Chinese basket, and are now paying the price.

Chinese are loud, rude, uncouth, and sure that the rest of the worlds population, including the Thais, are there only to service Chinese overlords. From craping on wat floors, peeing in klongs while crowds of people go by, to using sharp elbows to push through lines where civilized people have been patiently waiting....yes, I stay as far away from them as possible and I'm sure I'm not the only.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

CM has plenty of tourists right now. It just isn’t bursting at the gills when the Chinese were crawling absolutely everywhere. I do not miss their swarms. 

• Like 1

Thailand keeps trying to get people to spend more and shop more.  How about making it easier and more attractive for ex pats?  Stop the constant visa and income stuff changes.  Expats spend a lot of money in Thailand, all that they have typically.  Just drawing in hoardes of budget travelers and group tours which are typical of the Chinese, I don't think is a big economic thing.  Measurable yes, but significant?  It is only significant if people built and expanded and were expecting big returns that I don't think are there

and GUESS WHAT COULD HAPPEN NEXT ?

The much maligned, FERANG EX-PATS will decide they’ve had a Gut Full of being treated as Third Class Squatters.

Hit up the Ferang for more money for everything you can think of, ”rip ‘em off,” they’ve all got plenty of money.

Ditch Yingluck’s FERANG HEALTH INSURANCE SCHEME....let them, dielike Dogs in the Soi...plenty more to replace them !

If the FERANG all go home or make their homes in more Welcoming and Accommodating Countries.....THAILAND might just Wake-up....BUT...

It will be TOO LATE ! 

Edited by Torrens54
Alignment.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes if they treated expats or future expatriates better they would be fine with revenue. Expats are made to jump through hoops a dog would wimper to do if told. Their 90 day check in and tm 30 BS is way too much. Home checks and I won’t do this and that forms they gave a sign with pictures of the jk e and family if have one are a full mockery of how to treat a hunan being. 3rd class citizen I could accept if I was at least allowed to become one without all their Regime Totalitarian crap enforced on is. But it is near impossible. I would only wish all other countries treated their Thai citizen expats the same, but other countries are more responsible and respectful. One word . Racists

• Like 2

Yep....example: Ferang can’t own the land under the house they buy to house Thai Spouse and Family....just PAY the money, put the property in Spouse’s name. All okay BUT what if...Spouse Dies, Marriage Breaks Down or in any other unforeseen situation... FERANG IS OUT “in the cold...figuratively.”

Edited by Torrens54
Fix Typo.

11 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

It seems abundantly clear that wherever the Chinese go en masse, is subsequently avoided by everyone else. Sihanoukville is a classic example. Five years ago it was packed with tourists from everywhere, the Chinese invaded and everybody else has left. And once the good tourists have gone, they don't come back. Thailand put its eggs in the Chinese basket, and are now paying the price.

I hope so... it's deserved . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1