My embassy doesn't legalize degrees - what now ?

jochen

On 11/23/2018 at 3:50 AM, allane said:

Thank you.

allane ...... After some searching I have found this statement: 

• Certified copies of UK degree/educational certificates. In May 2018 the Thai authorities confirmed that they require all foreign degree certificates to be verified (legalised) for use in Thailand. Before arriving in Thailand you are advised to get your UK educational certificates legalised before you travel. If you are already in Thailand you will need to follow the 3 step legalisation process under “Services provided elsewhere” above.
  • any form of affirmation, affidavit or statutory declaration to confirm identity, family relationships or marital status (unless it is to marry in Thailand, please see above for Affirmation of Marital Status)

The last statement about Marital Status is misleading as decree nisi, death certificates etc have to go through the same process as stated below here: www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand: 

Legalisation is the official confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp on an official public document is genuine. UK public documents such as birth, death, marriage and divorce certificates can be legalised by the UK government in the UK. This is also known as an apostille.

More information on how to get your UK document legalised for use in Thailand can be found on Three Steps of Legalising a Signatures or Seal (PDF, 157KB, 1 page) and Legalisation Infographic (PDF, 448KB, 1 page) .

Hope this clears it up as I have just done this process as I said for a death certificate.

I sincerely appreciate your efforts. I have found similar information myself. As you stated, this requirement appears to have originated with the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. I have confirmed that in several places. What I have been trying to find, unsuccessfully, is the exact date this took effect, and a news release, or copy of the M.F.A. regulation (in English or Thai)) that gave it effect. 

On 11/21/2018 at 5:53 PM, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Go to Savannakhet. As of last month they only required photocopies of degree and teaching certificate, along with the other documents, to get a non-B - at least for a UK passport holder.

Errm, I was in S. and they demanded to see the original. Luckily, I had it with me... Just saying.

°°°

another option (if the IO is tech savvy and sympathetic) might be to take screen prints when logging on to make the purchase. Including the corresponding charge on the credit card statement.

I have heard of British teachers spending 4-figure amounts in GBP for this stuff. It better be a high paying job in China for this kind of cost ????

19 hours ago, allane said:

I sincerely appreciate your efforts. I have found similar information myself. As you stated, this requirement appears to have originated with the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. I have confirmed that in several places. What I have been trying to find, unsuccessfully, is the exact date this took effect, and a news release, or copy of the M.F.A. regulation (in English or Thai)) that gave it effect. 

All I have ever seen is May 2018 and originally I saw this report on https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand The full details were there until the notification about Embassy letters came out and the page was updated moving the information and lessening the wording. If I had not seen this original report then I would not have known and the trip to Bangkok I have next week would have been wasted. I will see what info I can glean from MFA and report back next week.   

4 hours ago, BurgerGung said:

Errm, I was in S. and they demanded to see the original. Luckily, I had it with me... Just saying.

°°°

another option (if the IO is tech savvy and sympathetic) might be to take screen prints when logging on to make the purchase. Including the corresponding charge on the credit card statement.

I have heard of British teachers spending 4-figure amounts in GBP for this stuff. It better be a high paying job in China for this kind of cost ????

Not sure why you had to show the original while I only had to show copies - perhaps age had something to do with it, or perhaps the relevant school's other documents.

In any event, the whole rigmarole is a huge waste of time and expense; I just hope that, when the time comes next month for my extension on the basis of working, CW does not abruptly demand to see originals.

This being Thailand though, I suppose one must expect the worst....

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2018 at 10:55 AM, allane said:

I have not been able to find out any more information about this I'm afraid. Have spoken again to the British Embassy this afternoon and all they will say is to follow the advice given on their web page. The problem is the rules keep changing as we are well aware and at times it is difficult to find out which hoops we are meant to be jumping through. 

If I were you I would not take the job and leave the province. Sure the issue will come up again but someone has already flagged the provincial immigration office. I'm sure the money your making is perfectly ordinary. There's absolutely nothing special about the province and if you were to leave this job, what are the odds of staying in the province?

These are all signals this is a bad gig.

In Canada, education is a provincial responsibility. The federal government has no record of whether I graduated from, or even attended university. And I have never heard of any provincial department or agency with centralized records either.  Authentication of degrees, and the provision of official transcripts is done by the university. I 

Archived