Why do folks seem so miserable here?

Nyezhov

On 11/21/2018 at 5:47 AM, Pilotman said:

People who complain incessantly and look miserable most of the time, would complain and be miserable wherever they were living.  TV gives them an outlet for their inner rage and disappointment at what life has done to them.  They take no responsibility for their own misery, which is why they blame the Thais  and Thailand for all their woes.  Take a walk down Pattaya Beach Road at midday day, any day  and the bars are full of miserable looking, mainly old men, drinking beer and just looking like they are already dead. I avoid them, I avoid where they go and I dont read their ranting posts. 

Spot on  !!!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my guess is that most of the complainers are stretched financially... [I would assume of you had enough $ you would just leave rather than stay and complain - right?] and for many of them, that is why they are here... my first time here was as a backpacker in 1974 and the few of us doing this route were curious about other cultures and people, and were not here because we couldn't afford to live elsewhere... which might make one cranky to begin with... and they are making an impression as Thai are learning that not all Westerners are rich... or friendly or curious about learning and finding another way of looking at life... 

On 11/21/2018 at 11:56 AM, evadgib said:

I'm just back from the dentist and happy to not have altziemers ????

(I didn't need any fillings therefore no injections and my face still works!)

ok - i like this - a dentist who does not find alz... my dentist has never found any in me either... of course, I might also want to check with a neurologist.. or not? 

ps - by the time my parents had dementia, they could not remember what the word meant. 

On 11/20/2018 at 10:43 PM, Nyezhov said:

Why do folks seem so miserable here? Is it just the folks on this Board, or generally representative of expats and visitors?

Don't forget judgmental! I tend to avoid expats. Some are very nice, many are rude, judgmental idiots. 

I was surprised to see this when I first moved here four years ago.

Love the Thais tho!

Only yesterday I posted that this site show be renamed "Pessimists Annon".

Many seem to be forever looking for something to "moan" about.

What a miserable life ...not happy unless they are unhappy. Constantly searching for something Thai connected ...to "put down"...

And yet continue to live here....If I were the Thai Authority I'd Boot them all out...and remind them .."Nobody sent for you".

"Don't curse the darkness, light a candle."

In my area many retired expats gather every day for want of anything better to do and proceed to complain about Thailand, Thai ladies and Thai people in general. I think many people retire here and do not really have anything to do day by day. It is natural. I am sure forigners in the US and Eurpope complain about the natives just the same.

39 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Only yesterday I posted that this site show be renamed "Pessimists Annon".

Many seem to be forever looking for something to "moan" about.

What a miserable life ...not happy unless they are unhappy. Constantly searching for something Thai connected ...to "put down"...

And yet continue to live here....If I were the Thai Authority I'd Boot them all out...and remind them .."Nobody sent for you".

Be careful you dont bruise your ego falling off your pedestal.????

6 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

tight denim stretched over fine young buttocks

Thats why Im never miserable. When depressed, I get on the BTS. I wish more girls wore Yoga pants here.

22 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Seek out only positive people, and you will be positive too.

IM just happy to speak English once a week other than isolated words combined with childish Thai and a lot of handwaving. 

Maybe thats the answer. Folks have NO ONE to talk to in their native language. Can you imagine being a monolingual Basque Expat?

Ever-changing and fickle application of Visa rules would explain some of it. Registering every 90 days like a criminal offends many. For all the cost-effective reasons to stay here, there are a dozen more reasons NOT to.  Most of us don't have the funds to just pick up and move to South America, where the Visa rules are more reasonable.  Lack of options and slow change, would be the answer to your question.  The continual TV chorus screams 'GET THE HELL OUT IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT".   Not quite that easy.

Me, I am happy here, What's its name?, Oh yes Thailand. No seriously, there are worse countries around,

like Yemen, Palestine, Afghanistan, etc... The only thing that pi#*es me off is the price of wine just doubled

since Songkran, I wonder if the importers know about this, because they could report it to their respective

Governments and could reciprocate by doubling exporting products from Thailand, like rice, canned tuna,

noodles, seafoods, etc.. that could make a difference by putting pressure on this so called "government".

7 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Ever-changing and fickle application of Visa rules would explain some of it. Registering every 90 days like a criminal offends many. For all the cost-effective reasons to stay here, there are a dozen more reasons NOT to.  Most of us don't have the funds to just pick up and move to South America, where the Visa rules are more reasonable.  Lack of options and slow change, would be the answer to your question.  The continual TV chorus screams 'GET THE HELL OUT IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT".   Not quite that easy.

I suppose it isnt. But:

Applicable to all Farang (except Rooskies): Never cut your ties to a place where there is the rule of law. If you go to live somewhere where there isn't (like South America too), then its your fault.

Im reminded of the dude that killed his parents and asked for sympathy because he was an orphan.

On 11/21/2018 at 10:43 AM, Nyezhov said:

Its like someone will post: Got Shortchanged 5 baht in 7-11

My wife is the stickler on micro-checking receipts.  It isn't worth 2 minutes of my time to argue over 5 baht.  Mistakes happen.

Hey I went to *insert* Market and they wouldnt honour a sales price.

Smart folks vote with their feet in the marketplace.  Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.  Business only get one chance with me. They have too many competitors.

hey Dudes, traffic was really backed up today because of construction

Which is why I moved away from the cities.  I did have to stop of a herd of ox that crossed the road last week, but it's life in the slow lane here, so just enjoyed the rural show.

Here I am with a brand new lens just itching to get out and take pics but its too hot and airpolluted.

Which is why we get in some form of transportation during the "burn season" and hunker down where the air is relatively clear.

Watch the negative nancies come out on this one!

Thailand has a load of thing that simply suck.
Thailand has a load of things that make it a prime place to live.
Such is life.

Why do folks seem so miserable here?

I often wonder myself, I’m sure it’s a money thing. These people came to Thailand with little or no money. They live in a Studio apartment (box), have no vehicle, no money to enjoy themselves and also have no hope.

I’m sure the new retirement requirements will weed a lot of the dead wood out and we can look forward to a less miserable people here.

But bear in mind, some people are born miserable.

I have attached a great video from Dan Cheesman, it’s a classic and hits the nail on the head….

Thanks Dan.

25 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

I think I differentiate between expats that are unhappy with Thailand are are vocal about it and folks who are just plain miserable and nasty. The latter are who I try to avoid at all costs!

People with an education , used to living life in the West , working and constantly have things to think about and consider , then move to Thailand , where they are not working and nothing to occupy their brain with .

Formally living quite significant lives and where their opinion mattered . Retired to Thailand where their only life importance is to give half their income away with not much in return .

The former dream of hot weather , females and alcohol becomes a burden becuase they excelled in that and thats all they now have and a good old moan on TV cheers them up a bit , along with enjoyable threads about people getting refused entry into Thailand

It seems to me that just discussing the vagaries of life in a country thats not quite as advanced as yours and with a totally different culture raises screams and shouts of just down right hate, misery and prejudice.

Some people have very little to be happy about for reasons that have nothing to do with Thailand and to make themselves feel better they attack the most convenient "other" to blame.

In their own countries they probably did the same but targeting other groups ... immigrants, other races or nationalities, anyone who appears to be as easy target. Their rants attract others who feel comfortable in attacking someone else rather than doing something to improve their own lives. Accepting responsibility for one's own life choices is not a common trait amongst the Thai Visa brethren (especially when a highly visible western political leader blames everyone but himself when things aren't going well).

Unfortunately moaning is more popular than being upbeat. People who are happy aren't as motivated to post about it. And if someone has the temerity to say that he is quite happy, that he likes Thailand and Thai people, that a 7/Eleven clerk gave him too much change (it does happen), then that happy person will quickly be ripped to shreds for being naive or clueless.

5 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Some people have very little to be happy about for reasons that have nothing to do with Thailand and to make themselves feel better they attack the most convenient "other" to blame.

In their own countries they probably did the same but targeting other groups ... immigrants, other races or nationalities, anyone who appears to be as easy target. Their rants attract others who feel comfortable in attacking others rather than doing something to improve their own lives.

Unfortunately moaning is more popular than being upbeat. People who are happy aren't as motivated to post about it. And if someone has the temerity to say that he is quite happy, that he likes Thailand and Thai people, that a 7/Eleven clerk gave him too much change (it does happen), that that happy person will quickly be ripped to shreds for being naive or clueless.

You have some good point, although your post is a good evidence that we all need something to moan about.

On 11/21/2018 at 10:56 AM, jvs said:

Sorry to disapoint you,i am doing fine.Got great coffee at 7-11 for 25 baht.Found a beautiful new plant yesterday,32 chicks hatched,my new canaries are doing well.Ann looks great as usual and the food is fantastic.Friends coming over later today.

The weather is good and there is some money in the bank.

Have a nice day everyone!!!

Sorry to inform you but your being robbed blind by 711 for that coffee. I believe I pay 12 baht for the same coffee providing you buy a cheese toasted sandwich or other promo for 25 baht.

Cause most of them ain’t got a pot to piss in.

Exactly. Most are losers. They’ve failed to “make it” in their homeland. So it’s Plan B: Try to survive on insufficient savings/pension in a 3rd world country and find female company from desperate, poverty struck ladies. This type of person unfortunately will always be miserable.

Archived