Plastic bag free day - get ready for Tuesday December 4th

webfact

Plastic bag free day - get ready for Tuesday December 4th

10pm.jpg

Thailand has announced a nationwide plastic bag free day on Tuesday December 4th.

No plastic bags with handles will be given out at department stores and convenience stores on this day.

The Bangkok Insight called it "D-Day". 

Thailand's biggest retail names have signed up to the initiative that marks Thailand Environment Day.

Such firms as CP All (7/11), Central, Makro, Foodland, Tesco Lotus, Robinson's, Big C and Tops are involved. 

An advertising poster said that customers should organize cloth bags and their own baskets. 

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-21
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much too little, way too late...

Last week a whale washed up in Indonesia with 6kg of plastic waste in its stomach, including 25 (plastic) bags, 120 cups, etc.

Fish are ingesting microscopic particles of plastic waste, we catch and eat them...

This is the product life-cycle of fossil fuels; throughout our lives we use them every day - even as they slowly poison us to death.

56 minutes ago, webfact said:

No plastic bags with handles will be given out at department stores and convenience stores on this day.

Is there some sort of get-out clause in this?

Is 'with handles' in there in case someone tries to make an issue about food in pre-packaged plastic perhaps?

7 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Is 'with handles' in there in case someone tries to make an issue about food in pre-packaged plastic perhaps?

The pigs begin living in the farmhouse, and rumor has it that they even sleepin beds, a violation of one of the Seven Commandments. But when Clover asks Muriel to read her the appropriate commandment, the two find that it now reads “No animal shall sleep in a bed with sheets.”

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

This is very true. No way will the food industry survive if plastic is totally removed.

I remember as a child in the 70's, before plastic 'revolutionized' the food packaging industry; sweets, foodstuff, vegetables were in cardboard and silver foil wraps; shopping was placed in paper bags at the checkout.

Now I am not sure if paper was so bad after all, seeing plastic was supposed to be completely safe, but nobody considered waste...

Drinks and all liquids were in (tin) cans or glass bottles.

My point is, that was not so long ago - look at how much damage plastic has done, in less than 50 years.

Get ready for the BIG photo opp Dec 4th,thumbs up and a free yellow t-shirt...the other 364, its 8 bags / person/day.not counting the foam bowl and plastic spoon and fork

25 minutes ago, mok199 said:

Get ready for the BIG photo opp Dec 4th,thumbs up and a free yellow t-shirt...the other 364, its 8 bags / person/day.not counting the foam bowl and plastic spoon and fork

Oh no, how's he going to muscle in on this?

Half a dozen over-stayers with cloth bags over their heads, rather than plastic bags?

2 hours ago, ParadiseLost said:

Last week a whale washed up in Indonesia with 6kg of plastic waste in its stomach, including 25 (plastic) bags, 120 cups, etc.

Fish are ingesting microscopic particles of plastic waste, we catch and eat them...

This is the product life-cycle of fossil fuels; throughout our lives we use them every day - even as they slowly poison us to death.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-06/diver-films-wave-of-plastic-pollution-off-bali-coast/9508662

2 hours ago, ParadiseLost said:

Yes, this is a good read. I really have no words. Really so sad this is what our oceans are. Our generation has caused most of it and we really need to support something being done to help clean it up, or at least keep it from getting much worse. I would gladly take a few bags with me to the store when I go shopping if it would help and they were not so readily available everywhere.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-46275742?ns_source=facebook&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social

Archived