Vietnam's Internet Stability

ThaiRebound

Hello All, 

I am wondering if anyone currently in Vietnam or who has insight into the internet connectivity issue in Vietnam could lend some advice. I use the internet for skype-like video sessions from morning until late afternoon. All of my work is synchronous, real-time communication and need about 5-6 mbps. Do you see VN's internet issue as resolved? Has there been any recent shut-downs? How long did it -- do they on average -- last for? Can this speed be reasonably maintained consistently? I have been doing this in Thailand for almost a year with maybe a single incident. If not Vietnam, are there other SE countries one might know of which have internet consistency on par with Thailand's? 

Thank you for any information on these topics!

TR

I was in Vietnam over the Christmas and New Year periods about four years ago. I maintain a share portfolio and trade (although not very often) online. During that period I tried to sell some shares and could not get the transaction done ... because one of the underline cables in the ocean connecting Vietnam got snapped and the internet had slowed. I was in Ho Chi Minh city. So I share your concerns. A Vietnam forum would be the best source for information, I'm sure one must exist.

South Korea has excellent internet. Malaysia seemed quite good.  

AlexRich, thank you for your reply. I am sorry to hear you could not react in a timely way. The worst of it is that the "snapping cable" is said to be the Gov't clamping down on access during communist party events. It's not inconceivable that they borrow the habit and technique from China. Any other places to go for a stable one year visa and good 'inernets'?

On 11/23/2018 at 7:20 AM, ThaiRebound said:

The worst of it is that the "snapping cable" is said to be the Gov't clamping down on access during communist party events.

TOT use the snapped cable excuse every week but since I changed to another ISP I've had only 1 problem in 2 years.

Internet issues in VN are fixed very quickly in my experience (Ha Noi and HCMC), but I am usually only there for a month maximum.

I've spent time in a few different areas of Saigon over the last 3 years and there was always a shared connection in every place.

About half of the places I stayed at had excellent internet (always 20-30Mbps on Speedtest) that rarely went down, if at all. 

The other half would be on and off like a yoyo, or slower than the 5-6Mbps you need, perhaps because of the number of other users.

I visit Ha noi at least 3 times every year from 10 days to 14 days and same pattern in HCMC, also Vung Tau, for the last 6 years, I use connections in hotel, in company and in friends house.

I've only experienced a few small drop outs just a few seconds / a couple of minutes, (never more than that), always quickly back on line and always good speed.  

• 2 months later...

Archived