Complete a degree or not for teaching possibilities in Thailand

NightSky

Ok so Im sure many of you will be amused by this although it is a legitimate question if you wouldn't mind helping I would appreciate that greatly..

I currently run my own business and I plan to be able to 'get older' without worrying about the need to work for a living however I always thought that If I were to retire from the business any time (any age after 45 years old) I would maybe look at doing something else to fill time and maybe look at teaching English as a possibility.

However one snag is that I never completed my degree back in the UK many years ago. Not that I needed one to get to be where I am today although I was reading that a Bachelors degree (or equivalent) is necessary to teach in Thailand and after reading about all the recent crack downs on the legitimacy of teachers in Thailand I was wondering whether to complete my degree with a long distance learning open university degree whilst I still have the opportunity to do so.  

What would your thoughts be on this? I was also thinking If I were to apply for other work in Thailand rather than continue to operate my own business would I also be better prepared by having a degree and would it really be necessary considering I've operated several successful businesses (keeping in mind that to complete the degree is time consuming and costly and if not necessary would be a pointless exercise).

Any thoughts would be appreciated thank you.

It all depends on your situation, generally, the BA is required for a teaching post.   Many restrictions on the types of job a NON-Thai and do here... Would try for a more friendly retirement country... Cheers mate.

If you don't have a BA in education, then Teachers Council of Thailand will grant you only 2 years temporary teaching license, twice. That means you could teach for four years at max. If you hold a BA in education or a master degree of whatever you are granted 5 years teaching license that can be extended. Hope this helps.  

1 hour ago, nowhereman said:

If you don't have a BA in education, then Teachers Council of Thailand will grant you only 2 years temporary teaching license, twice. That means you could teach for four years at max. If you hold a BA in education or a master degree of whatever you are granted 5 years teaching license that can be extended. Hope this helps.  

You should be able to get 3 waivers, 4 if you stay at the same school and show that you are working towards the requirements for a teaching licence.

A "master degree of whatever" will not get you a teaching licence.

I see, so taking a degree would allow me only to teach with a temporarily licence. Would this also apply to language schools and do I actually need a full degree to do this?

I'm considering whether completing the degree would actually make any difference whatsoever to 'any' potential legal employment as well as teaching. 

As for choosing another country to retire to, I've lived in Thailand for 16 years, I'm married to a Thai with a business here so 'choosing another retirement country' isn't as easy a decision as it may have been 20 years ago before I came here.

I've been under the distinct impression that a Bachelor's is required for K-12 schools. There may have been loopholes in the past, but they are largely closed.

In other words, no diploma, no job. No idea what these contrary opinions are based on.

Often after ten years your credits toward an incomplete degree are void.

16 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

I've been under the distinct impression that a Bachelor's is required for K-12 schools. There may have been loopholes in the past, but they are largely closed.

In other words, no diploma, no job. No idea what these contrary opinions are based on.

There are not any contrary opinions regarding K-12 schools. 

Thanks for your responses so far.

I've been reading other forum threads and would I be correct in thinking that If I completed an online Open University degree with hons (in any subject rather than teaching because I could transfer 50% of the credits from a previous unfinished chemistry degree to an Open degree) I could then potentially teach in Thailand with this degree with a 'waiver' license.

During this time working as a teacher on the 'waiver' I could then potentially apply for 'PGCEi' at Nottingham and complete that in 1 year whilst working towards a full teachers licence. Would this be one route?

I'm just wanting to keep as many future options open as possible before I apply to complete this degree so I do appreciate your advice if this is a possible route to 'teaching full time' in Thailand?

7 hours ago, NightSky said:

Thanks for your responses so far.

I've been reading other forum threads and would I be correct in thinking that If I completed an online Open University degree with hons (in any subject rather than teaching because I could transfer 50% of the credits from a previous unfinished chemistry degree to an Open degree) I could then potentially teach in Thailand with this degree with a 'waiver' license.

During this time working as a teacher on the 'waiver' I could then potentially apply for 'PGCEi' at Nottingham and complete that in 1 year whilst working towards a full teachers licence. Would this be one route?

I'm just wanting to keep as many future options open as possible before I apply to complete this degree so I do appreciate your advice if this is a possible route to 'teaching full time' in Thailand?

Yes, that is the way you should go.

You need to look if it would be cost effective. I looked into a 4 year degree (I have a 2 year degree). The least expensive I could find was about $17,000 US. Certainly NOT a good return on investment. There ARE schools that will hire you with the minimum requirement "do you have a pulse?" regardless whether or not you have a degree. It is a contentious subject I will NOT engage anyone in, many hours debating this topic have already been spent. You want more information on getting hired teaching English? Send me a PM.

I have been teaching at a language school for 13 years. This is Thailand, so while many language schools don't require a degree, some do. Mine does. (I have a BA & MBA.) I also have work permit, but a teacher's licence isn't required at my school.

Well "connected" Thai government schools can often get a work permit for teachers with no degree. 

Furthermore, rules and regulations are both constantly changing and enforced at the whim of local officials who can make up their own rules.

If you speak Thai, you could consider taking a degree from a Thai university. Also some offer degrees in English language (international) programs. Most are much cheaper than Western universities and readily accessable.

23 hours ago, NightSky said:

I see, so taking a degree would allow me only to teach with a temporarily licence. Would this also apply to language schools and do I actually need a full degree to do this?

I'm considering whether completing the degree would actually make any difference whatsoever to 'any' potential legal employment as well as teaching. 

As for choosing another country to retire to, I've lived in Thailand for 16 years, I'm married to a Thai with a business here so 'choosing another retirement country' isn't as easy a decision as it may have been 20 years ago before I came here.

Any school under the Ministry of Education (i.e. regular schools), will need a degree and teaching licence (assuming the school is following the rules properly). Language schools, I believe, have more relaxed rules, though I've never worked at one. I will leave more detail t someone else. 

Note, real teaching in a proper school can be quite demanding. It isn't something I would do to 'pass the time'. If you want to be flexible in the hours you teach, and when you teach, a language school would be more appropriate. 

If a degree comes to a real issue; you can earn your degrees online in English here in Thailand.  A Filipino friend of mine just earned his MEdTT (Master of Education Teaching and Technology) at Assumption College. It was given online and in English in two years for USD7,500.  He has now been hired by a University in Kohn Kaen with salary, housing, and office budget.

Well connected government schools can't do shit nor do they want to. Further, you're a cog, not a god. Wages have not risen for rank and file teachers indicating there's still a glut and/or teachers readily accept servitude wages. The competition would be daunting, even functional illiterates have degrees. Could you maybe get some joke job in the bowels of Thailand for 30? Maybe. Maybe no work permit or waiver as well. 

Above comments regarding public schools.

Many schools have difficulty keeping 60+ teachers on if they don't have their permanent license.

Given the way technology is moving I expect the employment in this field to halve in 7-10 years, even in Thailand.

On 11/22/2018 at 6:04 PM, ozmeldo said:

I stand corrected. Posters were discussing language schools.

• 2 months later...

Archived