Switch from Marriage to Work

You can get a work permit whilst on your marriage visa.

If you are are no longer with your wife and are going to divorce anyway then obviously that's a different issue all together.

Just apply for a non b instead and extend that, you can apply for a non b before you divorce.

39 minutes ago, Lunchbob said:

I need to switch from my marriage visa to a work visa (teaching at a Thai uni).

If you actually have a 90 day entry from a  non-o visa based upon marriage you may be able to get a work permit and then apply for an extension based upon teaching.

If you have an extension of stay based upon marriage it cannot be canceled unless you get divorced (or possibly a legal declaration that you are separated ). You would have to leave the country without a re-entry permit and apply for a non-b visa.

i dont know if this will help you but im also on non-o with a work permit at univ.

what i know very sure is you cannot change your non-o to non-b in thailand. I tried that last year. And they say i cannot do that.

Also i dont know your nationality but now many nationalities must go back to their hometown and get a non-b from there.

i suggest you to leave the country (laos), get a new tourist or non-b and come back. You can change your tourist to Non-b  

good luck

3 hours ago, problemfarang said:

what i know very sure is you cannot change your non-o to non-b in thailand. I tried that last year. And they say i cannot do that.

You cannot change non immigrant visa categories within the country is correct.

It is possible to change the reason for an extension of stay without leaving the country.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot change non immigrant visa categories within the country is correct.

It is possible to change the reason for an extension of stay without leaving the country.

yes but i think hes asking for changing his visa type to non-b. so.. hes holding a non-o now.  extension or not. to get a non-b he has to leave the country if im not mistaken. and up to his nationality he might need to go back to his hometown to do non-b

Edited by problemfarang

6 hours ago, problemfarang said:

yes but i think hes asking for changing his visa type to non-b. so.. hes holding a non-o now.  extension or not. to get a non-b he has to leave the country if im not mistaken. and up to his nationality he might need to go back to his hometown to do non-b

He wrote marriage visa which people often call an extension of stay based upon marriage. He also asked about canceling it.

A visa cannot be canceled here in the country.

All that is required to apply for any extension of stay is a non immigrant visa. The rules do not state any category of non immigrant visa is required.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He on wrote marriage visa which people often call an extension of stay based upon marriage. He also asked about canceling it.

A visa cannot be canceled here in the country.

All that is required to apply for any extension of stay is a non immigrant visa. The rules do not state any category of non immigrant visa is required.

ok. wait. maybe i read wrong or understood wrong. But i think he is divorced and want to change his visa from non-o to non-b because hes working or he wants to work.

Now i dont know he can extend his non-o after he got divorced (which i dont think so because they want to see proper papers). 

And he cannot change his visa type in thailand. So soon or later he needs to go out of thailand for a new non-b. 

But maybe he can stay here until his contract ends and then go to another country and get his non-b. Because when he renewed his work permit they want to see his visa. and he cannot continue with non-o obviously.

So i still strongly suggest him to leave the country get a new tourist or non-b and come back. If its tourist you can change it here into Non-b (but be careful because some nationalities must go back to their hometown. It's a great fresh start and nothing complicated.

16 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

But i think he is divorced and want to change his visa from non-o to non-b because hes working or he wants to work.

He is not divorced yet. If he had a multiple entry non-o visa issued by an embassy or consulate it would remain valid after getting divorced,

Only a extension of stay based upon marriage ends on the date of divorce.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Read my first post and ignore the rest.

Thanks. I'm getting basically this: go to Laos to reapply for a visa based on teaching. It doesn't really matter if I am divorced yet or the extension of stay for marriage visa is still valid. The new teaching visa starts things over.