Labor department ink agreement with BOI, Immigration for online work permits

webfact

Labor department ink agreement with BOI, Immigration for online work permits

9pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Foreigners will soon be able to apply for work permits online.

Thai immigration shared a Thai Rath story on their Facebook page that stated that the Labor Department, Board of Investment and Thai Immigration had shaken hands on a deal to handle work permit matters online.

The scheme will start in Chonburi in January as part of economic developments in the EEC or Eastern Economic Corridor. 

It is expected to be functional nationwide before the end of next year. 

Those with a right to work will be able to access "Thailand Digital Work Permit" using a user name and password and proceed from there.

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-22

6 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

…..just like the 90 day reporting online? I do hope this works a little better!

I just wanted to post before the guys come in to say the online reporting website works every time with no problems. 

BOI in Bangkok has had a good portion of the WP application process online for years.  However, they still require paper applications and presentation of supporting documents along with the presence of the foreign worker.  Presence of the foreign worker was required because a lot of Japanese factories were having "ghost workers" processed for work permits.  BOI still requires the foreign worker to be present to sign their WP book and then to take a photo by the BOI officer as part of a renewal.  Perhaps the e-WP will obviate the need for the foreign worker to show up at Chamchuri Square, as that office has become too crowded now.

After the global pact for migration is signed in December this all becomes obsolete !!!

... and I did not read a single word about it in the Thai media.

It's the UN that is calling the shots from then - not Thai Immigration !!!

If migration becomes a human right then work permits are no longer needed !!!

Look at those pics...  Do they really need HUNDREDS of people in that meeting to come to that decision ? Most of those attendees dont even know why they are there, just enjoying the blahblahblah....

Thailand.....  HUB of (useless) meetings   :coffee1:

Maybe it is just me but this is decades too late. Like almost everything else in this  country it needs photocopies of photocopies, duly signed in BLUE (not red, green or black) certified true and correct (the cover your behind signatures) and year after year it is the same avalanche of paper which got filed by my staff for our expatriate executives. Photos of people at the desk, at home etc. were a mandatory element for the application and if the company owner would have his work permit extended it required, that the applicant agreed to hire himself for yet another year. I mean, how stupid is that; would I fire myself? 

41 minutes ago, brain150 said:

After the global pact for migration is signed in December this all becomes obsolete !!!

Yes Thailand has a flawless record of conforming to UN agreements. Especially the high flying ones.

2 hours ago, dcnx said:

I just wanted to post before the guys come in to say the online reporting website works every time with no problems. 

Here's my 2 cents, from personal experience:

• If you haven't registered your place of residence (TM. 28 and TM. 30) with immigration, online 90-day reporting does not work.
  • Once you register, it works every time (granted, the web interface leaves a lot to be desired).

1 hour ago, HOOD Robin said:

Look at those pics...  Do they really need HUNDREDS of people in that meeting to come to that decision ? Most of those attendees dont even know why they are there, just enjoying the blahblahblah....

Thailand.....  HUB of (useless) meetings   :coffee1:

Your have obviously never worked for a US company then, if you think Thailand is HUB for useless meeting lol 

2 hours ago, brain150 said:

what have you been smoking?

3 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

BOI in Bangkok has had a good portion of the WP application process online for years.  However, they still require paper applications and presentation of supporting documents along with the presence of the foreign worker.  Presence of the foreign worker was required because a lot of Japanese factories were having "ghost workers" processed for work permits.  BOI still requires the foreign worker to be present to sign their WP book and then to take a photo by the BOI officer as part of a renewal.  Perhaps the e-WP will obviate the need for the foreign worker to show up at Chamchuri Square, as that office has become too crowded now.

From 20 years ago, and for a few years thereafter in Bangkok, I recall attending in person every year for my work permit, but for many years now I've used an agent to renew it at 2 year intervals, and never needed to join in person, or to sign the WP book. I've just supplied signed copies of the required personal and company documents.

27 minutes ago, jkcjag said:

From 20 years ago, and for a few years thereafter in Bangkok, I recall attending in person every year for my work permit, but for many years now I've used an agent to renew it at 2 year intervals, and never needed to join in person, or to sign the WP book. I've just supplied signed copies of the required personal and company documents.

Your agent is either connected, or has been paying an extra fee for your non-attendance.  Peronal appearance was a requirement implemented by the junta.

RE - It is expected to be functional nationwide before the end of next year. 

Hopefully their usual trial period is not involved this time ending it all after some months…..:whistling:

12 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

Yes. Yes they do.

So what exactly is the benefit of online application? It's like if email required you to also have to post an actual letter !

13 hours ago, brain150 said:

And a good thing the Australian government has rejected the UN proposal. 

16 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

Not true, I have been to take my photo for my WP only once in 9 years, 10th time will be in January. You just have to give HR power of attorney...

3 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

Not true, I have been to take my photo for my WP only once in 9 years, 10th time will be in January. You just have to give HR power of attorney...

Nope, I was just at BOI Bangkok this morning.  They have been requiring the immigration officer (who used to do a short interview of the foreign worker) to take a photo upon renewal.  I have been legal/HR for 12 years and did WP applications and renewals for a company with over 40 foreign workers.  Sorry, I know what I am talking about.

On 11/23/2018 at 10:26 AM, zaphod reborn said:

Nope, I was just at BOI Bangkok this morning.  They have been requiring the immigration officer (who used to do a short interview of the foreign worker) to take a photo upon renewal.  I have been legal/HR for 12 years and did WP applications and renewals for a company with over 40 foreign workers.  Sorry, I know what I am talking about.

Well then our HR must know something or someone, Ive honestly not had to appear in person for the last 8 years..

Archived