Income statement letters from embassies no longer required, confirms Phuket Immigration

I share the concerns expressed on accounts with Thai banks.   It's not the banks I distrust but the possibility of orders imposed on them from above  

That's primarily why my bulk money (800k) is with a foreign bank and has been for decades.   The government is likely to think twice before it siezes from a British, Japanese or other such financial institutions.   The ATM cards work all over the country and, from experience, they are more likely to issue foreigners with a credit card.

7 minutes ago, eggers said:

Finally, UK, US, Australian & Danish embassies have shown couldn't give a "flying fart" about their citizens; "not our problem" .... a F****'n disgrace !! Lost my respect!!! 

Have felt that way for a long time. although when a Brit friend died  here their input and help were good.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, BertM said:

Don't get too excited... Nothing new. OP is very misleading. IO head only said the letters were not required and 800k bank account method was accepted. He DID NOT say monthly income method without income letter was accepted. See his quote below...

Of course this letter is no longer needed if the embassy no longer issues it,” Col Archeep explained to The Phuket News today (Nov 22).

“However, the foreigner applying for the visa (or permit-to-stay) will still have to prove that they have the funds to stay in the country, such as by showing bank statements that prove the foreigner has B800,000 in a Thai bank account,” he said.

''prove that they have the funds........such as 800k....'' doesn't exclude the income method, it just isn't specifically mentioned.

Whatever, movement in IO is happening, earlier than I thought. This isn't the end, but as Churchill said, it is the end of the beginning, we need direction from TI in BKK, this will happen, this will be resolved.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

Has anyone ever considered that this is Thailand's way of getting their banks some hard cash that they can use to get out of financial trouble... Seems they are pushing the 800,000 more than anything.. What other motives can they be doing this for? 

Anyone here thinking outside the box discussed in this platform? 

How many expat retirees do you think are in Thailand? Anyone know? Any guesses? Interesting idea but would the totals be significant? 

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

What's wrong with Thai banks ? BKK Bank and Kasikorn are international banks with a reputation to consider, the Baht continues to rise on the FX markets and is stable, Thailand has large FX reserves and is one of the least affected Asian countries affected by the turmoil in the markets.

I'd rather not hold that much in one place but the major Thai banks are probably no worse than other banks in the region.

3 minutes ago, roquefort said:

How hard can it be for the embassies to verify income statements? I have used the income method for years and the British Embassy always demanded copies of my pension statements before issuing the letter.

Verification done.

They did not verify with the agency or bank or whoever was paying you, they only verified what you showed them. I think Thai Immigration wanted the embassies to verify all the way back to the source and you are not a valid source.

9 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Yes.  But it is unfortunate that he only mentioned the method which has never required an embassy letter, and did not elaborate on what those of us who relied on those letters to qualify, might do in the future.

Why would this be unfortunate? He did a great job, not giving any information he didn't have. The only thing he's got at this stage is that anyone can extend with a 800k deposit. Being Thai he is probably puzzled by all this agitation, why not just wait and see?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

Has anyone ever considered that this is Thailand's way of getting their banks some hard cash that they can use to get out of financial trouble... Seems they are pushing the 800,000 more than anything.. What other motives can they be doing this for? 

Anyone here thinking outside the box discussed in this platform? 

Over a 12 month period, income method or lump sum method is the same amount of money 800k pa. There is no net gain to the amount of money in thai banks each year.

Theres always the option of Citibank which you can open from home country (where possible) and one in Thailand.  They have free international transfers up to $100,000 aud per day from selected countries and instant global transfers.  You could park your money the required 2 or 3 mnths then send the bulk of it back after the extension.  They also have foreign currency accounts which you can convert to baht. 

May be worth a read.

https://www.citibank.com.au/aus/banking/making_transfers.htm

https://www.citibank.com.au/aus/banking/moving-overseas.htm

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I would get back in the box! ????

Do you think the input of a few thousand retirees is substantial to the Thai economy currently valued at 15.450 trillion baht, the 8th largest economy of Asia.

Cant help thinking there is some method in this madness. Pure speculation but I think the next step will be to allow pensions paid in to Thai banks to be acceptable as proof of income. Then, guess what ! you become taxable in Thailand.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, garzhe said:

Cant help thinking there is some method in this madness. Pure speculation but I think the next step will be to allow pensions paid in to Thai banks to be acceptable as proof of income. Then, guess what ! you become taxable in Thailand.

If we need to speculate I would bet they found a few people living and working in Thailand or misbehaving who were here based on an income Stat Dec or Affidavit that in reality was false.

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I assure you many many foreigners have deposited 800,000 baht in a Thai bank to get their retirement extension, and live on! Most of the ones I know I would define being sober minded. Insane would be to go back to the UK and live a miserable retirement because, in a huff, I had a distrust of local banks or am annoyed at the actions of my Embassy.

Insane ??   For 11 years when I started my old age pension (at that time I never saw in writing that if I moved to Thailand not normally residing in the UK, that I would not get increment increases)  So the pension is static at 87 pound sterling. Back home I would receive above 160 pound and winter payments NHS, transport discounts and the rest.  Summing up the UK would be far worse off if I returned.  So WT& are they thinking by capping my pension ??  an official told me it is because I am not spending the money on the UK   Ha Ha Ha.  but in the Philip you receive the full amount, even if you are not residing in the UK.

But on topic the pension given out in full makes a big difference to the cash in the bank and the pension.   Maybe I was stupid in changing my address on my UK bank statement, and yearly statement from the pension department.  Being honest does not pay in this respect.   As many friends over here get full pension. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, nasa123 said:

But in Phuket and Pattaya ++ can you NOT open a bank account in any bank if you don't have a B-Visa and work permit. The banks here are afraid of money laundering and black money, so here are not Immigration in phuket with on their own rules.

No, I use Bangkok bank with retirement extention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, garzhe said:

Thats right but do you know anyone declaring pensions paid in to a foreign bank who registered with the Thai tax office and pays taxes in Thailand. As far as Im aware Thailand has never pursued foreign residents to collect tax on pensions payed abroad.

Hehe, they don't pursue even their own citizens in that regard, tho I'd suggest most foreign-owned companies are the ones paying most of the income tax anyways ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, eggers said:

Finally, UK, US, Australian & Danish embassies have shown couldn't give a "flying fart" about their citizens; "not our problem" .... a F****'n disgrace !! Lost my respect!!! 

To be honest, I would need respect for my embassy in the first place before it would be possible to lose it.

That said, in the case of this issue, the 4 embassies that have so far informed their citizens that they cannot comply with the requirements of Thai immigration to prove individual income are ironically being more transparent with their ex-pats than the rest, and have been pro-active by making the announcement. This is of course in the understanding that the requirement from immigration has been asked of all embassies/consulates.

So far, Denmark has been the first to issue notice 'with immediate effect'. IMO, this is the first country of many to do this in the next few months. The reason for this thinking is that the embassies do not have the resources to comply, and by resources I mean the authority, manpower or time to check and confirm any individual's claim to the required incomes. This is not going to change anytime soon, especially with the re-writing of global privacy laws.

It is very easy to Dis your own embassy for not 'taking care of it's citizens', but before you do, you need to understand they don't have the amount of power that many assume they do have in another nation's backyard.

The answers lie with Thai immigration as to how this plays out, not to the embassies, who have to follow the requirements of the country that they have pitched their tents in. And again, IMO, this issue needs to be addressed by immigration very soon to lay the ground rules as it isn't going away.

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1