Income statement letters from embassies no longer required, confirms Phuket Immigration

26 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

No.

Go and troll someone else.

not trolling anybody, I just wonder why if "hundreds of retirees are honest and do have the required income proof" the affidavit letter is such a problem... You can just put your pension in a Thai bank and you don't need any affidavit...

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The only thing coming from immigration I will pay attention to is when it comes from the Immigration Bureau not some head of a local office.

It is certainly lacking any useful information in IMO.

Ubonjoe is ,as ever,correct and this is nothing but a self important IO taking advantage of the confusion to grandstand 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bubba said:

"Betrayed by the embassies"? In order to continue the income verification letters, they were being asked by Immigration to provide some sort of documentable review and verification service that is far beyond the scope of their responsibilities, capabilities or resources.

If you go to your embassy, show your passport, your Social Security number, and your Social Security payment on document issued by your government, why can't your embassy accept this as proof? That's how government works, be it a cop asking for your drivers license and registration, or your passport to enter a country.

• Confused 1

Just now, nchuckle said:

Ubonjoe is ,as ever,correct and this is nothing but a self important IO taking advantage of the confusion to grandstand 

Quite.

Why state that embassy letters are no longer required from those 4 embassies - and then go on to only mention the 'money in bank' route?

10 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

If you go to your embassy, show your passport, your Social Security number, and your Social Security payment on document issued by your government, why can't your embassy accept this as proof? That's how government works, be it a cop asking for your drivers license and registration, or your passport to enter a country.

It is a violation of USA Law for our personnel to do this.  The BE has indicated similar.  And then there are all the other forms of income.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, natway09 said:

My belief is that if you wish to make Thailand your second home (or your first) but not prepared to put monies into a Thai Bank then you should live where you "trust the banks"

I totally agree...

• Thanks 2

Caine: As others have noted you may or may not be an "ex-citizen" but as my self being a citizen of the USA for all of my 72 years but having chose to reside here for 14 yrs., raising a family, paying all sorts of VAT tax, could not work even when younger here but all the while still paying tax to the USA every year, I think it's OK to question why couldn't it be specified what to use for income verification at the window? 1099's, w2, SSA letter every year, fund statements, exp. It's not hard and at B1600 a pop for the letter seems doable. Thai IMM, if it is them, raising a legitimate question. 

For the folks who can stash 400/800k good for you but quite a few of us have decent amounts coming in every month which allow a good living and staying above board. Policies etc. can change but it is nice when ramifications are considered and addressed. 

Now that the end of the year is approaching we all wait with bated breath on Thai IMM to solidify that infamous police order and tell us "guests" what you require to verify required monthly income so we can make plans if needed. Further, it would be a major feat if ALL IMM office/officers follow the orders and NOT interpret to their liking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Somehow I knew you would...

But can we get back on topic re. Phuket Immigration's statement that says nothing other than the obvious....

800k in Thai bank for 3 months - no mention of the requirements for those using the income route.

Basically he said nothing new for Phuket immigration.

If you don't have the embassy letter you can use the bank option.

If you have the embassy letter you can use it. (As confirmed before)

“Of course this letter is no longer needed if the embassy no longer issues it,” Col Archeep explained to The Phuket News today (Nov 22).

“However, the foreigner applying for the visa (or permit-to-stay) will still have to prove that they have the funds to stay in the country, such as by showing bank statements that prove the foreigner has B800,000 in a Thai bank account,” he said.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

've lived many places where I would not deposit my life-savings - or a significant portion of it.  That is not a "pass/fail" test for living there - it's simply a matter of my not having citizenship there and/or bank-policies regarding the refunding of stolen funds.

Agree completely-  I am not necessarily worried about Thai banks but Governments and policies.  In 1 day during the 'Tom Yam Kung' crisis- in Thailand when Thailand devalued the Baht and I had to return to the US for employment I lost $21,000. This was 1997.  You can say- well, it was a one time thing.  Really?  there was a bank meltdown in Cypress; the World economy almost imploded in 2008 and it is a know fact that both Thailand and China are manipulating their currency

Since that day- I have never opened another Thai Bank Account.  Currencies go up and down .  In Asia , Governments come and go and central banks manipulate their currencies. I keep  all money in the US and  take out more than 65K per month by ATM which I can prove.

I have no intention of  placing  the equivalent of  800K in a Thai Bank unless there is no other choice.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, natway09 said:

The guys who scare monger about Thai Banks are the ones who are not prepared (or don't have) 

the 800,000 Bht.

It may not be true unless they leave Thailand. I have the money but I refuse to put it in a Thai bank. I get my O-A and Thai embassies abroad won't give me O-A without money. Otherwise, everybody will be doing the same.

Some of the reason why I don't want to put in a Thai bank.

a) Better return in the US even in savings account. Ally bank 2%

b) Difficult to open account here (I have one in Bangkok bank). 

c) Bangkok bank does not give me debit MC/VISA

d) Even if some bank gives MC/VISA, I cannot use it outside Thailand.

e) Even if I can use it outside Thailand, there is no protection against theft (all My US issued debit MC/VISA has protection against theft)

In my opinion it is better to use an agent than putting the money in a Thai bank. The same money I can invest in S&P 500 with 6% return (historical return of S&P 500 is 9%), I will be ahead in a decade even after paying agents 25K baht every year.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Agree completely-  I am not necessarily worried about Thai banks but Governments and policies.  In 1 day during the 'Tom Yam Kung' crisis- in Thailand when Thailand devalued the Baht and I had to return to the US for employment I lost $21,000. This was 1997.  You can say- well, it was a one time thing.  Really?  there was a bank meltdown in Cypress; the World economy almost imploded in 2008 and it is a know fact that both Thailand and China are manipulating their currency

Since that day- I have never opened another Thai Bank Account.  Currencies go up and down .  In Asia , Governments come and go and central banks manipulate their currencies. I keep  all money in the US and  take out more than 65K per month by ATM which I can prove.

I have no intention of  placing  the equivalent of  800K in a Thai Bank unless there is no other choice.

Why don't you open a US currency account then?

This can be used the same as the THB account for immigration.

17 hours ago, nasa123 said:

But in Phuket and Pattaya ++ can you NOT open a bank account in any bank if you don't have a B-Visa and work permit. The banks here are afraid of money laundering and black money, so here are not Immigration in phuket with on their own rules.

You can open bank account with an O visa. Word has it that you can open a bank account (in Phuket) with a tourist visa if you shop around. Friend did it a few years back and no problem. It's chaos here, which is sometimes useful. Luck of the draw; hit a bunch until one says yes. Dress up a little bit. It's like cruising the mall, but for a Thai bank rather than a Thai girl. Same same but different. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

These people who do not trust the local banks.....what basis do they have for this mistrust? Are there any forum posters who have lost a large sum of money that was deposited in a Thai bank? I’ve never met or heard of anyone who this has happened to.

There is always a first time, if it is a first time, and Thailand is not the most stablest of countries.

Did anyone ever think back in the time when people lived here on tourist visas, that it would eventually stop, making it hard for the under fifties to stay in Thailand long time?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, nasa123 said:

But in Phuket and Pattaya ++ can you NOT open a bank account in any bank if you don't have a B-Visa and work permit. The banks here are afraid of money laundering and black money, so here are not Immigration in phuket with on their own rules.

That's <deleted>, It is not a big problem to open a bank account with an Non-O visa (or even a tourist visa) but you have to shop around a little bit.

Some branches will not do it but most branches specially from Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn do it without much problems.

I helped several people with this, Last month a friend opened a bank account in Patong Bangkok Bank with a Non-O from the UK and one person with a TR60.

It depends on the branch manger if they allow it or not.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BertM said:

Sorry ubonjoe,

I wasn't thinking when I quoted your post. Your post was the last one in line when I posted. But, I was hoping you would get my meaning and help clear up that the IM Head DID NOT say that no letters were required with regard to the income method which is what the OP's headline seemed to suggest... To me this was very misleading, that is why I used the IM Head's quote to show he referred only to the 800k method for future use. This is crazy... The post right before yours, the person was celebrating that no more income letters were required. See Mr. fforest1 quote below celebrating the news....

I just signed up a few days ago to follow the latest news, but I need a break already from all this craziness... Will check back in a few months when things settle out... I cannot keep reading all these crazy posts...

Thaivisa is not all about reading "crazy" posts, or following the latest news. Do you have a car, motorbike, computer, a bank account, immigration problems etc, etc, etc? There are very knowledgeable members of Thaivisa who are very helpful in any field you can think of, I am sure that you will eventually need their help, or even help others, so why wait a few months until things, as you say "settle out"?

• Like 2

This is a strange article, especially the title.  Income verification letters from embassies were never "required." They were just accepted as proof of income. Having THB800K for a Retirement Visa or THB400K for a Marriage Visa was another option. ????

The question that we're all waiting for Thai Immigrations to clarify is just what they will accept besides the letters from your embassy as proof of income which is still listed as a way to qualify for these visas. ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, billsmart said:

This is a strange article, especially the title.  Income verification letters from embassies were never "required." They were just accepted as proof of income. Having THB800K for a Retirement Visa or THB400K for a Marriage Visa was another option. ????

The question that we're all waiting for Thai Immigrations to clarify is just what they will accept besides the letters from your embassy as proof of income which is still listed as a way to qualify for these visas. ????

I think it is a strange article as it is told by somebody in Thai and then transplanted into broken English and therefore missing the meaning of the sentence.

For know the only option besides the people who have the embassy income certificate or affidavit (in combination with the accepted documents) is the Thai bank account with the required money in it.

Time will tell what will be accepted in the future.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

There is always a first time, if it is a first time, and Thailand is not the most stablest of countries.

Did anyone ever think back in the time when people lived here on tourist visas, that it would eventually stop, making it hard for the under fifties to stay in Thailand long time?

Have a look at what has happened to banks in the past in other parts of the world, UK, European countries America even.

Then come back and tell me Thailand is a problem.

Tourist visas are for what the name suggests tourists not long term residents.

The same applies in most other countries, I can visit and stay in the UK for six months but then I have to leave.

People can visit Australia on a tourist visa but cannot use it to stay long term.

The problem is that you and others of your ilk want everything to be tailored to suit your needs, doesn’t work like that I’m afraid.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

it is a know fact that both Thailand and China are manipulating their currency

I don't think China is a currency manipulator. China is now in the IMF currency basket for SDR. Even Trump administration is hesitant to call China a currency manipulator. Trump calls everybody a currency manipulator, including EU. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StevieAus said:

Have a look at what has happened to banks in the past in other parts of the world, UK, European countries America even.

Then come back and tell me Thailand is a problem.

Tourist visas are for what the name suggests tourists not long term residents.

The same applies in most other countries, I can visit and stay in the UK for six months but then I have to leave.

People can visit Australia on a tourist visa but cannot use it to stay long term.

The problem is that you and others of your ilk want everything to be tailored to suit your needs, doesn’t work like that I’m afraid.

I did not say it did, and watch what you are saying about "my ilk". I was only giving an example of how things can change in this country.

• Like 2