I want to loss my weight

jimmybarret

On 11/23/2018 at 4:05 PM, bankruatsteve said:

A calorie is a unit of energy  There are different types of energy but a calorie is a calorie whether being consumed or expended.

Different efficiencies of engine though....

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/23/2018 at 2:15 PM, ThaidDown said:

Eat less and exercise more. It's not difficult.

Just saw an in depth report by 3 doctors... they started with 90-95% regain lost weight... and the problem is the body strives to regain the weight.. they tracked and tested one lady - she had lost a lot of weight, continued dieting and exercising but due to body reset she had to lose an extra 300 calories per day [a 1.5 hour run] more than others of similar weight just to keep the weight off... I wish it were as simple as you say and it might be for 3-4 kilos but serious weight loss is not not not easy...

On 11/23/2018 at 4:05 PM, bankruatsteve said:

A calorie is a unit of energy  There are different types of energy but a calorie is a calorie whether being consumed or expended.

Different efficiencies of engine though....

I lost a lot of weight quickly with this following method (and it was really easy and I did not feel really hungry).

Nothing for breakfast

Normal sized Thai dish for lunch.. eg, fried rice, pad see ew etc.

Normal sized portion for evening meal.

Cut out all snacks.  No sugary drinks (only drink water, tea, coffee etc).

That was it.  I used moderate exercise... just gently pushbike ride for about 30 - 60 minutes a day, and gently swimming sometimes.

After a few days, you will find you get full on smaller portions and don't crave any snacks.  I used to eat lots of chocolate and 7 / 11 snacks.  

I also cut down on alcohol.  Whisky or Gin Tonic, and only 2 - 3 shots in an evening if I went out.  There are 100 calories in each shot of spirits... so don't mix it with cola!!!!  I mix with water or soda water.

Hope that helps.  

On 11/23/2018 at 2:36 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I think the most important part is that you have to be motivated to do it. Really motivated!

I have also a couple of kg too much and I like the idea about losing weight. But then again I like good food and cake and chocolate and pasta and ice-cream.

What would I gain if I lose weight? Would the girls be 50B cheaper? How much would I have to lose and how much would I have to exercise before the girls would decide something like: He is old but so handsome...

Summary for me: Not enough motivation.

Over to you, maybe you are better motivated.

I agree with what you are saying... I am also not vain and don't and didn't really care about an extra kg... or two... but after I passed 50, it was 2 kg a year... my parents dementia created depression which led to a bit more comfort food and maybe 3 kg a yr.. and I could not care less... but 20 years later, and +40 kg... and it is not impressing the babes that concerns me but the burden of carrying around 3 bowling balls... mostly around my gut... makes life less comfortable and tiring. 

So, keep an eye on it as it is far more difficult to lose the weight than some people make it sound... losing a couple of kgs - ok - but losing substantial weight and keeping it off, not easy. Be careful. I like the same deviant foods as you mentioned above... and still do.

On 11/23/2018 at 7:19 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Absolutely not! I drive to 7/11 and it takes less than 5 minutes and most of the time I buy at least two chocolate bars. ???? 

How lazy can you get? No wonder you need to lose weight. Why not just walk?????

On 11/23/2018 at 7:19 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Absolutely not! I drive to 7/11 and it takes less than 5 minutes and most of the time I buy at least two chocolate bars. ???? 

How lazy can you get? No wonder you need to lose weight. Why not just walk?????

How much do you drink? Cut out the beer, or just one a day worked for me.

I'm a cyclist, with 5400 km under my wheels this year all in Chiang Mai Province. I have a Samsung smart watch. It shares data with my phone via Bluetooth. I use it as a bike computer. The built-in GPS computes speed, distance, etc. but the part that's relevant to you is the health data that I get. With each bike ride, there is an estimate of calories burnt. It does that for all kinds of exercise, including walking. It monitors heart rate and quality of my sleep. You can record your weight in it, and view trend lines of all these data. You can use it to count calories, but you have to enter the data manually, so I have never bothered. There are other devices that do similar functions, e.g. Fit bit. The point being that having that expensive toy on your wrist becomes like a game of beat the numbers. There it is when you reach for the refrigerator door. Earn your treats with activity.

Exercise is the key. Det rid of fatty and sugary foods as well. But without exercise it wont work.

It will if you get into ketosis and that state has zip to do with exercise

And relies heavily on fatty foods but less than 20 grams of carbs a day no sugar

Easy way:

1. Stop eating all sweet products except fruits, including sweet drinks. Stop adding sugar to your meals.

2. Stop eating bread and all other flour products.

Never bring the products above to your home, never buy them and forget about them. Actually, it is quite easy. The result will be visible and stable until some weight. The best thing is that you will keep this diet quite long because it doesn't require too much effort.

Hard way:

1. Stop eating all sweet products including sweet drinks. 

2. Stop eating bread and all other flour products.

3. Eat at max 300g fruits per day. It is quite hard because you can't just stop buying them or forget about them. (Hard)

4. Running 30 minutes or walking 1 hour+ regularly. (Very hard) 

5. Do not eat after exercise until next day. (The hardest and the most effective thing).

With the hard way including the #5 6 packs are guaranteed quite fast ????.

Non-cardio exercises are not effective. However, it will give you good body shape when your weight become normal.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:15 AM, ThaidDown said:

Eat less and exercise more. It's not difficult.

When if for what medical problem you cannot do much excercise, as every step hurts ?

Eating no fat, no pasta, noodles, potatos, rice, drink no alcohol, no fruit drinks, no cola etc, but only coffee without sugar, … as my family doctor said: loosing weight by skipping your weekly piece of meat / fish… does not help much...

All depends on your life style and will power.

If you want an easy diet , try herbal life or alike.

remove all sugars from your food, also no bread and down to 1 bowl of rice per day .

no food after 6pm, fruits or veggies ok.

I hate dieting so I always cheat and go with herbal life shakes.

1 month lost 20 kg, no excercise at all.

morning tea with lean ham or chicken 5 slices

lunch anything I want, normally eat Thai meal

dinner herbal life shake

evening some fruits

if super hungry have another shake or salad with no dressing .

as I said 20 kg in 1 month 

3 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Just saw an in depth report by 3 doctors... they started with 90-95% regain lost weight... and the problem is the body strives to regain the weight.. they tracked and tested one lady - she had lost a lot of weight, continued dieting and exercising but due to body reset she had to lose an extra 300 calories per day [a 1.5 hour run] more than others of similar weight just to keep the weight off... I wish it were as simple as you say and it might be for 3-4 kilos but serious weight loss is not not not easy...

Although the "eat less, move more" is almost universally accepted, it's also universally observable that diets fail.  It needs some critical thinking.

I think the diet/exercise (in my own experience) is much like the 80/20 rule.  Also, if you're hypocaloric, your body is going to notice that and attempt to correct the situation, so I would say 'diets' (in the sense of restriction) and a bad move.

I found a way that at least partially overcomes this, where starting at 90Kg+ I could lose about  0.5Kg per day (not water weight), which I'm sure a lot of people will groan about as being impossible if you do the maths, but the point is I didn't diet at all, and didn't change any of my daily routine.  You have plenty of energy since the body is taking fat at will and using it.  I got this from reading white papers on mouse and rat studies, and even works on DIO/DIO and OB/OB animals (i.e. even if they're overfed or genetically predisposed to Obesity).  Two downsides; 1) very expensive for most peoples budjets. amd  2) seemed to pause working after about 10 days and would only resume if I stopped for a few weeks.

After several years of trying to work this out I think I've finally cracked it, and was about to start on a Monday, but broke an arm on the Sunday immediately before.  So, I'm not currently testing it as I have a strong belief that what not only pulls out the fat and stops you putting it back on, would also slow down bone healing and accumulating anything for new growth (eg. no good from dumbing myostatin).  If it turned out to work, I think because of the scale of the job and also because I'm a farang in Thailand and all the implications of working here, I'd probably just licence it, so don't really want to discuss the how's at the moment, especially since I can't prove that I've solved to duration issue where it fades off.  On the plus side it's fantastic for keeping blood sugar bang on normal range, and has been shown in animals that other side effects are all positive (eg.  All cancer cell lines it has been tested with it can arrest progress (*not* cure - emphasis needed there).

Bottom line, I think calorie restriction is not the way to go if you want lasting results.  If you were slim as a teenager thought then there are much less expensive ways to get back to that if you're prepared to take a slower route (eg. over a year or so).

9 hours ago, Shiver said:

Bottom line, I think calorie restriction is not the way to go if you want lasting results.  If you were slim as a teenager thought then there are much less expensive ways to get back to that if you're prepared to take a slower route (eg. over a year or so)

Hi Shiv... Yes. I was slim as can be until about 30 yrs old... PM me your method and maybe I will give it a try and be your first guinea pig... thanks.

Almost every year some doctor comes out with new theory and new methods and yet the old good Calorie diet stood the test of time .

of course you gain weight back on if you start to eat like a pig again.

eating healthy is a life style not a hobby 

it is difficult, i gained weight from age 44, was always 83 and then it went up. I stopped having deserts, sugar in coffee (substitute), drinking sugar cola (substitute no sugar cola), cookies, was using olive oil for frying. I was still moving, every day for years on bike to work and work was also physical active. It didnt help, i still gained weight. it ran up to 103 kg. It only went down, having protein shakes and drink lots of water. I was on that diet, is 500kcal/day and then still with all the activities, bicycle, work. I lost then 10 kg in 1 month. You know what happend when i stopped diet after a month, it came back on again.

So only thing is eat low calories and move a lot, go swim, <deleted> a lot, walk, whatever.

You do see in people getting older , gaining weight, started with me at 44. Hate it.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction for online shopping outlets where's it's possible to buy shirts, shorts or footware in established Big/Tall UK/US sizes as opposed to the Chinese variants which wouldn't fit if I was still at school (despite being labelled to the contrary!)?

Ebay or Lazada proved fruitless & local shops think everyone's a dwarf ????

Thanks all; PMs are fine so as not to torpedo the thread.

On 12/5/2018 at 10:12 AM, evadgib said:

Yours is a fad diet too but good luck if it works ????

Plant only based food diet is NOT a fad. Scientifically proven, in many cases since the 1920's but suppressed by Governments and self-interest parties, that include the meat, dairy and egg industry. Do some proper research before you condemn.

1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:

Plant only based food diet is NOT a fad. Scientifically proven, in many cases since the 1920's but suppressed by Governments and self-interest parties, that include the meat, dairy and egg industry. Do some proper research before you condemn.

The irony being your #16 which more or less said "don't go on a fad diet except this one" for which I was clearly joking & not expecting your vegan-esque / "professional victim" reply.

On 12/5/2018 at 10:14 PM, FracturedRabbit said:

If you can spare half an hour, Jason Fung explains why diets don't work in the long term and why the calories in/calories out model is just wrong.

Wrong? Guys , women on fitness eat a lot every day. I know a guy, eating everyday 2000 kcal, now he has six pack and is very slim, working out. Now he wants his body to grow and starts to have 3000 kcal/day, and ofcourse exercise everyday for hours. So in and out is though very important. 

On 12/6/2018 at 5:29 AM, kenk24 said:

Hi Shiv... Yes. I was slim as can be until about 30 yrs old... PM me your method and maybe I will give it a try and be your first guinea pig... thanks.

If you take Nicotinamide MonoNucleotide (aka NMN which is in the Vitamin B family), it is showing some promise in increasing health span.  It also gently helps resist weight gain in the way a more youthful person naturally would, it would also reduce your biological age.  That's not to say that you'll grow a full head of golden locks and erase wrinkles, but that you'll be squeaky and shiny on the inside.  Lots to read up on that, so would suggest you do a search on "NMN Dr Sinclair".

It seems to work more noticeably on older people than younger, effects like a lot more energy on demand, focus, 'wanting' to expend energy (ask a 4 year old to go to the end of the garden and they'll run there.  Ask a retired person and likely they'll make odd noises as they get themselves out of the chair and walk instead).  Good for endurance exercise as well - 15% is an often quoted increase.

One important addition that seems to get overlooked though, is that it seems to add energy for a few days, then you hit a wall and get the opposite.  This is easily overcome by taking a Methyl donor to supplement all the extra demand, and means it is sustainable year round.  One good candidate is TriMethylGlycine (also called TMG or Betaine).  Best way that is simple is get them as powders and add in a 1:1 ratio in a dropper bottle and top it up with water to dissolve it.  A dropper under the tongue 2 or 3 times a day in a strength to achieve maybe 500mg of each per day would be okay, it's not critical.  Better not to swallow it as it won't make it intact to the bloodstream as your digestive system and first pass of the liver will stop it.

23 hours ago, evadgib said:

Can anyone please point me in the right direction for online shopping outlets where's it's possible to buy shirts, shorts or footware in established Big/Tall UK/US sizes as opposed to the Chinese variants which wouldn't fit if I was still at school (despite being labelled to the contrary!)?

Ebay or Lazada proved fruitless & local shops think everyone's a dwarf ????

Thanks all; PMs are fine so as not to torpedo the thread.

Try stores like Robinsons, Central etc

7 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Wrong? Guys , women on fitness eat a lot every day. I know a guy, eating everyday 2000 kcal, now he has six pack and is very slim, working out. Now he wants his body to grow and starts to have 3000 kcal/day, and ofcourse exercise everyday for hours. So in and out is though very important. 

Plenty of studies showing that controlled fasting leads to weight loss, without slowing the metabolism, and maybe an option for those struggling to lose weight. If you are fit and working out and not obese, then you probably don't need to lose weight anyway; but even so several hours of fasting per day is good for your body. And it's not how many calories a day that matters but the quality of the nutrition that you are putting in your body. 2000 kals of sugar, cake and biscuits is going to harm you!

The Dr. Jason Fung video makes some valid points. The reason why the 'calories in/calories out' model can be wrong is because it doesn't take the varying metabolic rates into consideration.

If everyone's metabolism was the same, whatever their age and genetic characteristics, then the 'calories in/calories out' model would be correct and consistent.
However, the metabolic rate varies, not only within an individual's life span, but from individuals to individuals of the same age, eating the same food.

This causes much confusion. For example, two friends who perhaps live together, might eat the same quantity of food and do the same amount of exercise (approximately), but one is clearly overweight and the other is not. The person who is overweight might then deduce that he/she is not overeating because the other person is not overweight, and that the reason he/she is overweight is because of her genes.

The reality is (as I understand it, of course), is that both people are overeating, but the person who is not overweight has perhaps a faster metabolism and a genetic condition which prevents the body from turning excess food into fat. In other words, the excess food is flushed down the toilet.

Converting excess food into body fat is a normal and healthy condition. It would have helped our distant ancestors to survive during periods of famine and drought. Those who were unable to convert excess food, during times of plenty, into body fat reserves, would have been at a survival disadvantage.

The message here, is that it is possible to overeat and not put on weight, but it is not possible to put on weight without overeating. Overeating has to include the metabolic rate, or metabolic efficiency.
Metabolic rate usually changes as one gets older, and in particular, can change significantly for women when they reach the menopause stage. That is, the metabolic rate slows down, which results in weight gain despite the fact that the woman is eating the same quantity of food as she's always eaten, and does the same amount of physical activity (approximately).

However, I gather that the processes in the body going on here are not fully understood. For most people who are not 'exercise fanatics', it seems that the greatest proportion of the energy used by the body is for maintaining the bodily functions, digesting food, keeping the heart pumping, keeping the body temperature at a constant, and so on. The relatively minor activities of short walks in the evening, climbing in and out of the car, washing the dishes, cleaning the house, and so on, consume a relatively small proportion of the total energy intake from food.

It is therefore possible for a person who goes on a lower-calorie diet to not lose weight. Perhaps the body has got used to being overweight. After overeating for 20 years or more, the body has gradually accumulated fat in order to prepare itself for a future famine which has never occurred. Maybe the body is then tricked into believing that its obesity is a normal state of affairs. When the person goes on a diet with lower calories, the body resists any weight loss, and lowers the metabolic rate.

However, proper fasting, eating no food whatsoever, and drinking only water, sends a clear message to the body to consume the fat reserves. Just as you cannot put on weight without eating too much, you cannot not lose weight when you eat nothing.

On 11/23/2018 at 1:39 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Why should I eat unsalted nuts if I can afford chocolate cake?

The bigger t-shirts cost on Sukhumvit maybe 50B more than the smaller size. No problem.

Which brings us back to the question about the motivation...

You could try comparing the results of medical reports - over weight vs slim.

Therein might be a cause for motivation!

Archived