I want to loss my weight

jimmybarret

25 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

Don't eat after 5pm, doesn't take long to adjust to. Admittedly it is difficult to begin with but the results can be worth it....

I hope you do not follow your motto with this one ????

I always thought it did not matter WHEN you eat, only how much and what kind of food. I have read this multiple times but I may be mistaken since I am far from being an expert.

I started to eat Low Carb 3 days ago, and lost 2 kg. Sometimes I eat in the night when I get up shortly.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope you do not follow your motto with this one [emoji846]
I always thought it did not matter WHEN you eat, only how much and what kind of food. I have read this multiple times but I may be mistaken since I am far from being an expert.
Worked for me, 16 kilos steady reduction/loss over two years and stable weight now, but everyone is different. People have to try various diets or routines that match them.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Find a snack type food you actually enjoy but is healthy, low calorie, low fat, and most importantly low sugar. The standard dieting advice to "avoid snacking between meals" is imo/e unrealistic and one of the things that people find most difficult to follow and leads to them tp give up on a healthy eating diet. 

15 hours ago, Shaksey said:

Find a snack type food you actually enjoy but is healthy, low calorie, low fat, and most importantly low sugar. The standard dieting advice to "avoid snacking between meals" is imo/e unrealistic and one of the things that people find most difficult to follow and leads to them tp give up on a healthy eating diet. 

Some would say that "snacking" is not part of a healthy diet. Not eating for extended periods gives your body time to repair and rest; we did not evolve to snack! One or two meals a day with a big break in the middle a healthy option; and easy to do once you are used to it. Easiest is to cut out breakfast.

13 hours ago, FracturedRabbit said:

Some would say that "snacking" is not part of a healthy diet. Not eating for extended periods gives your body time to repair and rest; we did not evolve to snack! One or two meals a day with a big break in the middle a healthy option; and easy to do once you are used to it. Easiest is to cut out breakfast.

I see your logic.  However, I have to disagree, because in fact the human body has evolved to eat lots of smaller portions spread out throughout the day.  We are not like a snake or lion, eating a huge amount once a day or less and then being inactive to digest it.

Look at ALL the other primate species.  They eat / snack almost constantly throughout the day.  They are also active most of the time looking for food.

We did not evolve to live the lifestyles most humans live today... 

inactive / sedentary most of the time 

Eating high calories processed food

Eating huge amounts of sugars foods

Low fibre diets

To loose weight and be more healthy its good to take tips from nature.  Have lots of cardio exercise... even just walking is good.  Eat much smaller portions, cut out all junk food and highly processed food, cut down drastically on sugar intake.  

Snaking is healthy.  It stops the spikes in blood sugar, keeps digestions going, stops you feeling hungry and craving unhealthy food etc.  Just eat healthy snacks instead of junk food.  

Well, I think that Jason Yung video actually confirms the 'calories in, calories out' scenario.  All he has done is to emphasise that everyone's metabolism is different, and therefore you cannot expect 2 people eating the same number of calories to have identical weight loss (or gain).

You can't defy a valid scientific equation.  Eat more calories than you burn and you will gain weight.  Eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight.  Nothing more simple than that!

The important part is for you to find how many calories your own body typically burns every day, through the process of simply being alive and doing nothing (and that's where your metabolism comes in), and then add on the calories that you burn though everyday activities and exercise.  It's a simple spreadsheet to analyse your typical calorie food intake each day and to subtract off your calories burnt.  Then if you want to lose weight, it's up to you to either exercise more or eat less, or a combination of both.

It's hardly rocket science! (I should know, being a rocket scientist in my first career LoL)

Note - Of course it's very important that your food intake is balanced to ensure that your body receives the required amounts of protein, fat, carbs and minerais etc.

On 12/11/2018 at 8:18 PM, simon43 said:

Well, I think that Jason Yung video actually confirms the 'calories in, calories out' scenario.  All he has done is to emphasise that everyone's metabolism is different, and therefore you cannot expect 2 people eating the same number of calories to have identical weight loss (or gain).

You can't defy a valid scientific equation.  Eat more calories than you burn and you will gain weight.  Eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight.  Nothing more simple than that!

The important part is for you to find how many calories your own body typically burns every day, through the process of simply being alive and doing nothing (and that's where your metabolism comes in), and then add on the calories that you burn though everyday activities and exercise.  It's a simple spreadsheet to analyse your typical calorie food intake each day and to subtract off your calories burnt.  Then if you want to lose weight, it's up to you to either exercise more or eat less, or a combination of both.

It's hardly rocket science! (I should know, being a rocket scientist in my first career LoL)

Note - Of course it's very important that your food intake is balanced to ensure that your body receives the required amounts of protein, fat, carbs and minerais etc.

I think what Fung is saying is exactly that!  There is very very little reliable information on basic metabolism and calorie burn.  It varies greatly by individual and by the biological make up of that individual. Insulin resistance, hormone balance, % of body fat etc.   The only method now is to take your weight and assign you some maintenance calories.  Those are far off for most people trying to shed pounds and it discourages people that follow it like a religion and get no results.  And the estimates of various watches, and app programs on calorie burn are very ineffective.  And our food classifications are very poor.  A sugar cube and a broccoli spear are treated the same as a carb.  It just ain't so.  The effect on the body and fat layer are much different.

Most of the calories in calories out advocates will eventually resort to screaming starve yourself to 500 calories a day or whatever.  I am not saying you.  I have never seen you do that.   However, we know enough now about set point to know that all you are doing is damaging yourself.  Unless you can really live on your starvation diet FOREVER and exercise like you are training for an iron man/woman competition you are not going to get anywhere.

Just saying.  As a person that also lost 31 lbs I never counted or measured calories.  I only pushed further at the gym by recording heart rate on fit bit.  I never took the bike or elliptical or any of the other exercise equipment calorie burns seriously.   You could switch from bike to bike and elliptical to elliptical and get wildly varying results for exactly the same workout.  Same machine models.  Same brand.

The only thing I would say is a real constant is find what works for you that you can live with FOREVER. and of course slow and steady wins the race.

On 12/12/2018 at 9:18 AM, simon43 said:

.....  Eat more calories than you burn and you will gain weight.  Eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight.  ......

Not sure I agree.  I once tried to get a diesel truck to eat gasoline.  Plenty of calories in it, but it didn't do the same as my petrol car.

On 12/5/2018 at 10:01 AM, ChrisKC said:

There is a way!! Don't go on some fad diet.

Eat Plant only based food - eat as much as you like and lose weight! And start a regime of exercise. Ask me in a personal message how to get started.

I have proof that this WFPB (whole food plant based) method is very effective in losing weight quickly and safely.  Other benefits are it helps the planet, and you will improve your blood work!  You might even live longer!  I was able to get off 5 different big pharma diabetes and blood pressure meds, which literally do nothing to cure you or the disease, they just hide the symptoms, and the amount you need goes higher and higher.  Expensive in more ways than one. Insulin for diabetes type 1 will always be required, but you can lower the dosage and control your glucose readings better with WFPB eating.

I sneak in a little dairy or meat once in a while, but going plant based helped me drop over 80 pounds, and I am over 60 years old. Check out Forks over Knives to learn more.  I believe WFPB eating will be huge in a few years, it is getting lots of momentum.

But the food industry is catching on, and releasing horrible fatty vegan foods like the Beyond Burger and Good Catch "fish".  If you go Vegan, make it WFPB.  Avoid the packaged, processed crap put out by the food industry full of oil, salt, fat, and white sugar.

I love all the posts that say just eat less and exercise more.  For people with food addiction, it just won't work.  They will fail at losing weight, and probably gain more.  Interesting book on this called The Pleasure Trap.  No, not that pleasure trap. ????

I am in Thailand visiting with the wife's family.  They don't get the vegan thing and keep bringing us all those great tasting Thai dishes with meat and fish.  So good!  ????  I eat a few bites to not insult them, but I am slowly convincing them that it's OK for me to not each meat, fish, and dairy.  They complement me for looking skinnier.   No more poom pui.  Now they are bringing me Sum Tom Thai and salads!  No fish sauce! ???? The Thai word for vegan is Jay, they know that word.

Good luck with your weight loss goals!

"Insulin for diabetes type 1 will always be required, but you can lower the dosage and control your glucose readings better with WFPB eating."

I have a friend with diabetes type 1. He doesn't take insulin or any other medication but manages it with diet (zero sugar, low carb). You can't manage glucose if you stuff yourself with high glycemic index fruit and veggies, bread, pasta etc.

8 minutes ago, FracturedRabbit said:

"Insulin for diabetes type 1 will always be required, but you can lower the dosage and control your glucose readings better with WFPB eating."

I have a friend with diabetes type 1. He doesn't take insulin or any other medication but manages it with diet (zero sugar, low carb). You can't manage glucose if you stuff yourself with high glycemic index fruit and veggies, bread, pasta etc.

i'm pretty sure someone is mistaken.  All the type-1 that I am familiar with must take insulin.

From where I am coming:

1. Drink a glass of water before bed and when you wake up before eating, this helps the digestive system and drink as much water as you can during the day, not too much to make you uncomfortable as it helps your organs clear toxins and keeps your stomach full.

2. Eat 3 meals a day, they say a male should have a daily intake of 2,500 calories, well, the less calories you eat, the less weight you will gain, and of course lose weight, that said, losing weight is one thing, but you must also tone up your muscle by using weights, e.g. a good set of 12kg x 2 dumbells that will set you back around 2,500-3,000 baht, use the every 2nd day and watch your bi's get the muscle back within a week, see how you go then, and if you are going well, invest in some more equipment, a good cardio machine will cost you 60,000, but you should be able to pick one up for half the price during a sale, don't buy a cheap quality one, do your own research, it's an long term investment and use 20 minutes every day or every 2nd day, go for 30-45 minutes if you like it, although depending on your age you can feel a little sore the next day after using it, but hopefully not if you stretch before using it, they come with a manual with programs so as to suit your pace and if your keen enough to ramp it up, well enjoy the setting to 10 incline and 5.0 walking, then watch the sweat pour off.

3. Avoid junk food at all costs, sugar and salt sodium, and only eat 3 meals a day starting with a big breakfast like two slices of bread with two scrambled eggs with some feta cheese and Greek olives, you want a big breakfast to keep you fuller, lunch can be a prawns salad, avoid dressings, or a pasta with prawns, STRICTLY no carbs after lunch, evening meal before 7pm should be protein and a salad, although pasta's, rice and bread based products, like flour should be avoided all together as they are high in carbs and glucose, that said we need our carbs, but up to lunch time is fine and work it off, and have a fruit in between breakfast and lunch and dinner, you can also have some almonds as they are also good for the digestive system.

4. Beer should be low cards, i.e. 330ml Tiger light or San Miguel light are 105 carbs and have no more than 3 every 2nd night or 3rd night to give your liver a break, as for spirits, well they are high in sugar to best to avoid unless you like Vodka soda and lime as it is very low in carbs.

Follow the above advice and you should lose 3kg in the first week at a minimum, but if you have health issues, best talk to your doctor as you don't want to be putting yourself at risk, but your food selection is the key to losing weight, i.e. stay away from processed foods high in sugar and salt, eat clean food, fish with omega 3 like salmon, chicken, red meat once a week, stay away from the rice, pasta and breads after lunch and NO snacking, unless it's as I said, a fruit in between meals, and nuts.

Good luck, motivation is also another key that plays it's part, 99kg isn't that heavy, but enough to make you feel uncomfortable, 80kg is healthy for the heart though, or less if you can get there, time is also another key.

47 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

i'm pretty sure someone is mistaken.  All the type-1 that I am familiar with must take insulin.

Not mistaken. This guy is a close personal friend. He inherited type 1 from his mother (who does survive on insulin) and determined he would manage without medication. He is very very careful about what he eats. 

olohvzdhcgk11.jpg

true story, it was all over the papers a while back.

If you actually have the willpower and not someone who says they want to lose weight all the time and does nothing about it. A bit like me with smoking I always say I want to try and stop, but I never actually really have the will to do it at the moment. 

I would suggest cutting out carbs completely and trying to get your body in ketosis, once your body is in ketosis you will burn off fat a lot faster and can lose 1kg every other day if you're in full ketosis at your sort of weight. 

In 2013 I did a 28 day water fast (yes just water, no food and no I didn't die) lol just weak after 14 days, walk 1 minute then need to lay down and you stop caring about food after 2 or 3, just your sense of smell gets really strong and can smell people cooking a mile away. I was only 62 or 63kg when I did it so didn't do it for weight, just did it as I wanted to get rid of all the bad shit in my body clear toxins like 20 fags a day since I was 17. And after doing a lot of research I decided the master cleanse was best for me, but this is the hardest cleanse/fast you can do. And after I month I went back to smoking, drinking eating crap anyway.

I'm not saying to give up food like I did, but if you cut most carbs and just stIck to a very limited protein diet with some veggies (yes i know veg have carbs too but not enough to get you out of ketosis and you would notice a massive difference in a short time. 

I'm 28 and 5"8 and weigh this as of today lol

D46Qufk.jpg

too skinny I know and get told by that by every Thai and Westerner and constantly told to eat more haha, but I feel like I'm strong enough judging on that I can manage a ninja 400 with my wife on the back, that's good enough for me ???? The last few years I stay between 48-54 range go through cycles of eating junk, smoking weed, getting munchies and gain a bit of weight, then having a break from weed, not eating as much. 

My lie expectancy can't be high. 

On 12/5/2018 at 4:40 PM, LawrenceN said:

How much do you drink? Cut out the beer, or just one a day worked for me.

I'm a cyclist, with 5400 km under my wheels this year all in Chiang Mai Province. I have a Samsung smart watch. It shares data with my phone via Bluetooth. I use it as a bike computer. The built-in GPS computes speed, distance, etc. but the part that's relevant to you is the health data that I get. With each bike ride, there is an estimate of calories burnt. It does that for all kinds of exercise, including walking. It monitors heart rate and quality of my sleep. You can record your weight in it, and view trend lines of all these data. You can use it to count calories, but you have to enter the data manually, so I have never bothered. There are other devices that do similar functions, e.g. Fit bit. The point being that having that expensive toy on your wrist becomes like a game of beat the numbers. There it is when you reach for the refrigerator door. Earn your treats with activity.

I have a fitbit (heartrate monitor)  makes life alot easier to hit your fatburn and cardio sessions.  As Thailand is hot and humid you can easily work up a sweat without burning many calories.  Weightloss here can be your body losing fluids initially and not fat.  As you get fitter the harder it is to get your body into fat burning mode as your body can adapt quickly even on a weekly bases.  So same workout you had on Monday again on Friday may not yield the same fatburn results.

If your a outdoors person and have a smartphone,  download runkeeper.  Tells you how how many klms and speed you have done even a stroll down the beach, its pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2018 at 2:35 PM, champers said:

Agreed. It is not difficult to say but much more difficult to do. Avoid diets, they are a complete waste of money.

At the end of November/start of December I weighed 80Kg (5Kg too much).

I started a Big Mac diet, every day my main meal 1 Big Mac, no extras.

Maybe a banana (or mince pie) and cup of tea for breakfast, and a cheese sandwich  with a cup of tea for dinner.

As many cups of tea as I want during the day, and a mountain hike nearly every day, 2 hours and 600m ascent.

Kept my intake below 1,500Cals/day, and my exercise at 1,000Cals/day (under eating 2,000Cals/day).

Plotted it all on Wahoo fitness and MyFitnessPal apps.

3 weeks and I've lost 4Kg (celebrated today with a large Leo)

Just 1Kg to go any it's been fairly easy, missed out 4 days exercise in the three weeks I've been dieting/training.

Very little hunger, but sometimes it's been really hard to get out of bed for that 2 hour hike.

Today I weighed in at 76.3Kg, thinking another week and I'll be at my target weight of 75Kg.

(I've stopped the Big Macs now, as the months half price offer ended yesterday)

Here are 7 more important tips to lose your weight even faster:

1.    Eat a high-protein breakfast. 

2.    Avoid sugary drinks and fruit juice. 

3.    Drink water a half hour before meals

4.    Choose weight loss-friendly foods

5.    Eat soluble fiber.

6.    Drink coffee or tea. 

7.    Eat mostly whole, unprocessed foods. 

There is no doubt that whenever you do exercise & lose weight, it’s affecting on your skin also. So, in that time you need to include a proper food for your healthy skin in your diet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2018 at 7:33 AM, Jingthing said:

An interesting factoid from the aforementioned Australian t.v. show. Research shows that people that have lost a lot of weight and managed to maintain that for six years (that's rare) still retain the same profile of ABORMALLY high biological hunger stimulating hormones that they had before the weight loss. Professor Proietto concludes that if the same condition exists after six years, it's for life. In other words, obesity is a CHRONIC lifetime condition even for those that have lost weight and managed to keep it off. This wouldn't be relevant for more normal people that want to lose ten pounds to look better on the beach.

I wonder if a skinny man that became fat due to medication, could develop into having abnormally high biological hunger stimulating hormones. I hope not. I came from 63kg to 78kg in a very short amount of time. I got a few marks similar to some women have that gave birth due to rapid expansion of the stomach. (I'm a guy). I have been skinny my entire life until last year. I stopped the medication a few months ago but this fat doesn't want to go away. All this fat stays around my stomach, like a beer belly. In the past i could eat anything i want. I could eat all the lovely sugary foods without gaining one pound without exercise. Even though i don't eat much now, i don't seem to lose weight.. I don't lose any pounds with cutting sugary foods in my diet. It only stays stable.. I really feel for fat people now. It's a huge struggle. Fat people know they're fat. At least me and it annoys the shit out of me every day. 

Exercise will not cause you to lose any weight on a calorie to calorie basis.   Of course, if your exercise increases your over-all metabolic rate and the amount that your body burns on a constant basis you lose a little weight but you can't, so to speak, exercise off weight.  To lose weight, you must examine your diet and modify the type and amount of food that you eat.  Eat a lot of natural fat (not processed into lunch meat, ham, bacon, etc.)  Minimize your intake of carbohydrates and even whole grain.  Don't cut out everything completely but devise a diet of thngs that keep you eating happily.  Gradually, if you exercise moderately and eat a diet of meat, WHOLE milk, cheese and butter along with vegetables and a moderate amount of fruit, you will begin to see a slow but steady weight decrease.  Go easy on the sugar and very sweet fruits.  Also, keep in mind that there is probably a weight at which your body will remain in stasis as your ideal healthy weight.  You must discover what your ideal weight is on your own.  For me, it is 85 Kilos.  I feel fat above that weight and pretty weak if I get down to 82 Kilos.

There are glycemic index books they you can buy which will tell you the glycemic index of every food. Using their information, you can draw up any number of meals with a glycemic index and a taste that you like.

Use foods with natural fat - meat, cheese, whole milk, etc, so you will be able to be satiated  at meal times and not desire but the occasional sweet or processed food item.

I have scads of research to back my recommendations and will be happy to send a bibliography if you want it so you can do the reading from first-hand sources.   The most important finding over the past 4-5 years has been that saturated fat does not cause cardio-vascular disease; it's the carbohydrates and sugars that do and that our physical bodies are enourmously complex.

Good luck on your quest for good health and weight loss.

4 hours ago, Senseo said:

I wonder if a skinny man that became fat due to medication, could develop into having abnormally high biological hunger stimulating hormones. I hope not. I came from 63kg to 78kg in a very short amount of time. I got a few marks similar to some women have that gave birth due to rapid expansion of the stomach. (I'm a guy). I have been skinny my entire life until last year. I stopped the medication a few months ago but this fat doesn't want to go away. All this fat stays around my stomach, like a beer belly. In the past i could eat anything i want. I could eat all the lovely sugary foods without gaining one pound without exercise. Even though i don't eat much now, i don't seem to lose weight.. I don't lose any pounds with cutting sugary foods in my diet. It only stays stable.. I really feel for fat people now. It's a huge struggle. Fat people know they're fat. At least me and it annoys the shit out of me every day. 

Could you tell what medication?  I know some now have warnings about rapid weight gain but many do not!  What you are describing is called Set Point and is documented in a youtube video called, "The biology of weight loss."  It is an HBO special provided by the National Science Foundation and National Institute of Health.  Set Point had been denied by the medical community for years but the documentary really explains the science well and leaves the American Medical Association in the dust.

There is also an article linked somewhere on this board about the US television show "Biggest Losers."  Same thing!  Once the weight pours on lots of diet and exercise are of little help and quite damaging if taken to extreme.  It puts people on a spinning gerbil wheel.

The only advice is time and patience and persistence. 

4 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Exercise will not cause you to lose any weight on a calorie to calorie basis.   Of course, if your exercise increases your over-all metabolic rate and the amount that your body burns on a constant basis you lose a little weight but you can't, so to speak, exercise off weight.  To lose weight, you must examine your diet and modify the type and amount of food that you eat.  Eat a lot of natural fat (not processed into lunch meat, ham, bacon, etc.)  Minimize your intake of carbohydrates and even whole grain.  Don't cut out everything completely but devise a diet of thngs that keep you eating happily.  Gradually, if you exercise moderately and eat a diet of meat, WHOLE milk, cheese and butter along with vegetables and a moderate amount of fruit, you will begin to see a slow but steady weight decrease.  Go easy on the sugar and very sweet fruits.  Also, keep in mind that there is probably a weight at which your body will remain in stasis as your ideal healthy weight.  You must discover what your ideal weight is on your own.  For me, it is 85 Kilos.  I feel fat above that weight and pretty weak if I get down to 82 Kilos.

There are glycemic index books they you can buy which will tell you the glycemic index of every food. Using their information, you can draw up any number of meals with a glycemic index and a taste that you like.

Use foods with natural fat - meat, cheese, whole milk, etc, so you will be able to be satiated  at meal times and not desire but the occasional sweet or processed food item.

I have scads of research to back my recommendations and will be happy to send a bibliography if you want it so you can do the reading from first-hand sources.   The most important finding over the past 4-5 years has been that saturated fat does not cause cardio-vascular disease; it's the carbohydrates and sugars that do and that our physical bodies are enourmously complex.

Good luck on your quest for good health and weight loss.

I won't say that your program won't work as every program that limits calories works so if it works for you good. It is not the only way to lose weight as long as you eat healthy unprocessed food and less of it you will lose weight. Be it Keto, intermittent fasting, your solution or other solutions. It all works. I have no fear of carbs at all (the whole grain ones) and don't see them as evil. Of course that depends on the amounts.

You are spot on about exercise, it won't help you to lose much weight food intake is the most important part. Exercise helps and is good to keep it off and helps you handle carbs better but its not as effective in weight loss as just eating less.

2 hours ago, dontoearth said:

Could you tell what medication?  I know some now have warnings about rapid weight gain but many do not!  What you are describing is called Set Point and is documented in a youtube video called, "The biology of weight loss."  It is an HBO special provided by the National Science Foundation and National Institute of Health.  Set Point had been denied by the medical community for years but the documentary really explains the science well and leaves the American Medical Association in the dust.

There is also an article linked somewhere on this board about the US television show "Biggest Losers."  Same thing!  Once the weight pours on lots of diet and exercise are of little help and quite damaging if taken to extreme.  It puts people on a spinning gerbil wheel.

Taking things to extremes always is bad, and I have heard and read about set points and believe people have them. Question is more can we change set points, the jury is still out on that one. We can change them in a negative way that is for sure.

Getting older sucks. I could fast for 5 days and actually not shift a single gram.

11 hours ago, dontoearth said:

It was under the class of Benzodiazepines. I can't remember exactly which medication it was. I was sleeping so bad and had a severe case of RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). One of the side effects of the medication is that i would have an increased appetite and that i should be careful. The doctor didn't warn me about the side effects. Got so pissed. From now on, i always ask if i should know anything about a medication. I also always read the paper inside the package just to make sure. And thanks will look it up!

15 hours ago, madmen said:
On 1/24/2019 at 2:39 AM, Senseo said:

Getting older sucks. I could fast for 5 days and actually not shift a single gram.

That is highly unlikely, that it is harder is normal as you lose muscle as you age (unless you do a lot of sports but that is unlikely if you are overweight). It goes harder for me too, but it is certainly possible. It just takes time and effort. You cant expect something you accumulated over the years be gone in one or two months.

Archived