Skilled foreign workers needed in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, HalfLight said:

In Thailand, the term 'academic' is something of a moving feast. It can mean more-or-less whatever you want it to mean.

I maintain that you can get a pretty good idea of the state of a population's intellectual, emotional and mental health by watching what they put on TV, including how the audiences react to it..

Thai TV is not a thing of beauty.

In defence, the content of Thai television [general speaking] is highly controlled and purposely manipulated by the usual associations - there are intelligent alternatives within the Thai cable/satellite tv programming systems.  

Controlled mainstream television programming is certainly not reflective of Thai society, that's obvious if one spends much time interacting with Thais on a daily basis [which, most don't here].

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

Not sure if you’re trolling, but many countries don’t have restricted jobs for locals. That’s generally an Asian thing that goes side by side with xenophobia. 

And 'many countries' are far more developed and accordingly, they do have sensible restrictions on who can wander in and pitch their tent. Globalization does tend to breed a certain ignorance when it comes to 'free movement' and the EU for one has a lot to answer for in that regard. But I digress.

Yes, Thailand, like many of their near neighbors are fiercely xenophobic and horribly nationalist.

Now, what's your point again?

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

In defence, the content of Thai television [general speaking] is highly controlled and purposely manipulated by the usual associations - there are intelligent alternatives within the Thai cable/satellite tv programming systems.  

Controlled mainstream television programming is certainly not reflective of Thai society, that's obvious if one spends much time interacting with Thais on a daily basis [which, most don't here].

I sort of agree, to the extent that most on here don't spend a lot of time trying to understand the Thai culture. Thai TV as is watched by the man/woman in the street is dreadful - it's reminiscent of the worst of the brain-dead American (and British) 'zany' TV in the 1950's and 1960's, by far the majority of it is surpassingly awful (including the alleged news and commentary programs), and illustrates as well as any other indicator I've seen, the real nature of Thai society - in this I'm thinking of a particular program my (Thai) wife likes to watch where a procession of poor and disabled people and children are traipsed in front of the camera for the delectation and outpouring of arms-length compassion and sympathy of what seems like a mainly hi-so and young female audience.

It really is execrable, and that's before any commentary on the quality and appearance of the alleged comperes.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

And 'many countries' are far more developed and accordingly, they do have sensible restrictions on who can wander in and pitch their tent. Globalization does tend to breed a certain ignorance when it comes to 'free movement' and the EU for one has a lot to answer for in that regard. But I digress.

Yes, Thailand, like many of their near neighbors are fiercely xenophobic and horribly nationalist.

Now, what's your point again?

A highly imagined Western superiority....??

4 hours ago, dcnx said:

Not sure if you’re trolling, but many countries don’t have restricted jobs for locals. That’s generally an Asian thing that goes side by side with xenophobia. 

Its an "Asian Thing" because of their really bad experience from the west, you know the empire and all. Can you blame them for being xenophobic?

11 hours ago, webfact said:

international education in Thailand.

Know many Thais in border areas.  They have no interest what lies on the other side.  Lived in a large town in northern Malaysia.  Saw maybe 2-3 Thai license plates while living there for a year.  The only Thais which were common were ladyboys.  Education starts with interest and curiosity.  

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand needs around 2.3 million more skilled employees

More talk.  Where does one even go to find out about such job opportunities ?  Thailand lacks a welcoming work environment that exists in neighboring countries.  

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'm retired, and would be quite happy to teach specific subjects such as chemistry and statistics part-time for a modest wage. However, the amount of paperwork I would have to complete and maintain means - forget it.

The existence of the Civil Service Department is to burden you with unnecessary paperwork and also to collect money from you a fee they say for the application.

This phenomenon happen throughout the world so don't think it doesn't happen in your home country. Civil servants sometimes would behave like little emperors. In Thailand they often act like emperors rather than behave like one. Only Emperors can change the rules and regulations at anytime as they see fit and this exactly what police or any civil servants with a little authority often do in Thailand. Would anyone agree with my perception or have I perceived wrongly what was the proper thing they did?

I believe Farangs don't understand Thailand. Thailand and Dreamland are 2 words interchangeable. When you go to Dreamland you don't go there to work you go there to dream.

Expats go there marry a young wife, buy a piece of prime land, build a nice house and live in a dream. Sometimes end up in nightmare because the wife murdered them in violent ways.

When Thailand says they need "Foreign Skilled Workers" they don't really mean it. And to say that they need 2.3 million Foreign skilled workers just reflects on the fact that they don't really know what they are talking about. Yes, this is often what is happening in Thailand. It's the same scene replay all over again and again in this dreamland.

First and foremost if all these government officials and people in authority are removed and replaced by people who are capable of doing some real work then you can start talking about getting "Foreign Skilled Workers" in large number to help Thailand achieve certain economical targets. Not otherwise.

However Thailand must be careful what they wish for. A technologically advanced Thailand will not be a beautiful Thailand and Thailand will lose all its charm.

14 hours ago, HalfLight said:

In Thailand, the term 'academic' is something of a moving feast. It can mean more-or-less whatever you want it to mean.

I maintain that you can get a pretty good idea of the state of a population's intellectual, emotional and mental health by watching what they put on TV, including how the audiences react to it..

Thai TV is not a thing of beauty.

If TV is a guage, then the world is doomed.

Many expats find that Thais, especially the Thai-Chinese that dominate the business landscape, are insufferable to work with. 

Imagine being born in a country where

* 99% of the population is kept dumb

* almost nobody is ambitious 

* nobody ever corrects or challenges you

As a Thai, you develop an unfounded arrogance and can't tolerate anyone, and especially a foreigner, telling you anything. 

That is what working in Thailand will be like and most highly intelligent expats will not tolerate it well. 

Thailand refuses to train their own Thai workers....much cheaper to import from poor countries!

In the not too distant future...well now it seems, foreign workers will not be available and the Thai companies will suffer......calling for help from the Govt.

Maybe they should have big joke to probe the labor department.

I do not understand why you have to choose between fighting or pay service fee 3-4 times the mount a normal work permit cost ?

As the officers say.... pay or go to court. It will take you 2 years.....

3 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

If TV is a guage, then the world is doomed.

Can't argue with tht, though it isn't exactly what I said. What I said was that it is possible to get an insight into the population and it's culture by looking (and I meant broadly) at the TV shows it produces.

I stand by that, doomed or not. Personally, looking around, I think we're all screwed anyway.

49 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Thailand refuses to train their own Thai workers....much cheaper to import from poor countries!

In the not too distant future...well now it seems, foreign workers will not be available and the Thai companies will suffer......calling for help from the Govt.

So no change there then. Thais are never to blame for anything and it's always someone else who has to dig them out of the sh!thole they chose to jump in.

What the country needs first and foremost, is a skilled administration, to run it. That would be a great start. And it needs far less nationalism. With an open mind, the nation would be able to see that it needs skilled foreign labor. Nearly every Japanese, Chinese and American factory in Thailand has skilled foreign labor managing it. Without them, they would cease to exist, or at the least, cease to create high quality products, that they currently manufacture. It is about quality control every step of the way. Nearly every five star hotel in Thailand has a foreign GM. Without them, you could not get the service one expects when paying real money for a hotel. Sorry to say, but fewer Thais have pride in craftsmanship, and a job well done, than foreigners. I do not think that is my opinion. I think most would agree that is a fact. And foreign workers and managers think about the future. A job well done, is a job worth doing. And it means continued patronage. 

Lastly, with the exception of perhaps a hundred or so teachers in Thailand, this country desperately needs more foreign teachers, to teach English. Most would agree the Burmese are better at building than the Thais. And better at carpentry too. And they work harder.

So grow up. Get smart. Be wise. Stop deflecting and making up lies. Make both the visa process and the work permit process simpler. Reward people for coming here to work, instead of penalizing them! 

21 hours ago, jvs said:

I think what this country needs is skilled Thai people!!

The ball, so to say, is indeed in the court of the educational institutes, which might mean universities have to attract foreigner knowledge, which might be far above the level, I say might be, of the Thai professors and teachers.

And then there is face!

21 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

What she wants to say is that they wish to replicate the China method, stealing and forcing tech transfer and to then kick the nasty farang out as quickly as possible. 

I worked for Motorola back in 1993 to 97 teaching Thais to build, operate and maintain the cellular systems for AIS and DTAC. Part of the job was training them to take over from us and that worked fairly well except that after the 1997 crash I had no job left in Thailand. I came back in 2001 as a contractor doing the same thing for CDMA for 16 months and worked myself out of a job again.

There are some very smart and clever Thais around despite the poor education system.

They are not stealing and forcing tech transfer any more than other countries and not all farangs are nasty and being kicked out.

19 hours ago, Changnoi1964 said:

There are a lot of Skilled Foreign Worker i Thailand like my self, i work for a Computer Company since 8 Years in Bangkok. I Sure there would be a lot more, also maybe some Retired Farangs live in Thailand which would like do give some of there Knowhow to others Farangs or Thai- People, but there is a very BIG hurdle, the amount of Paperwork what you have to bring for a Workpermit is just idiotic and you have to make it every Year again even though it everything already in the Computer.
If Thailand wand to change something the have to make it more Attractive to Foreingners otherwise i not belief this will change much
The same Problem with the normal Visa's at least once a Year the Visa Rules Change and most of the time not for the good of the Tourists, in every Country around Thailand the make it more easy nearly every Year, but Thailand once more oversleeps it and ask then again why all the Tourists go to all other Country's around Thailand and not to Thailand

its Time to Wake Up Thai's or the Countrys around you overtake Thailand ......

If I was allowed to work which as a retired expat I'm not I'd offer my English skills to you for a modest sum of money to help you correct your grammar !!!

Archived