I want a hot sandwich at BK's and McD's in Thailand. Am I a jerk?

ThaiRebound

On 11/23/2018 at 10:34 PM, Ks45672 said:

Anyone who has worked in a kitchen will know what I'm talking about and In Thailand some businesses will make the staff pay for a mistake out of their meagre wages... 

Well the staff in McD and BK can't speak english, they should have learned it before applying for a job there. So i don't care if they pay for their mistakes...

They even don't know what a hamburger is...you have to say hambaagaaa or they don't get it.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

I don't know how it is in Udon Thani, but where I eat it in CM they always make it fresh (@least the big Mcs). A trick a former manager of BK in Europe thought me years ago is to order something a bit out of the ordinary and then they must make a new one even if there is 1 under the lamps. I usually order without pickles. 

That is great advice, but I get the sense that in UT they'll take the path of least resistance every time. I asked for a chicken sandwich with no mayo, so they replaced the bun.

18 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

That is great advice, but I get the sense that in UT they'll take the path of least resistance every time. I asked for a chicken sandwich with no mayo, so they replaced the bun.

Well, another option is to eat MD/BK anywhere BUT UT....

On 11/23/2018 at 9:05 PM, melvinmelvin said:

the planet is flooded with jerks

in how many countries do McDonald serve alcohol, beer - whisky - wine etc?

I think you miss the point. The OP is looking for a hot burger, not a beer.

Alcohol is sold in McD's in most of Europe and like Burger King, Sonic, and Taco Bell, McDonald's has begun or will begin selling alcohol in the US, Asia and South America. Consumer demand dictates.

However, why anyone would want a McD's burger is beyond me. You can get a better burger in almost any Western bar-restaurant and in several other fast food places. Of course, this is my opinion.

McDonald's original strategy was fast food at reasonable prices--"Forty-five cents for a three-course meal . . ." was the marketing refrain; 15 cents burger, 15 cents shake, 15 cents fries.  We all know it is no longer so fast or so cheap. However, their continued success is based in large part on their switch in strategy to offerings for children; from toys to kiddie meals to playgrounds and their Ronald McDonald character with his cartoons, commercials, charities, and other marketing mixes.

McDonald's first garnered the children of my generation--I ate my first McD's burger in the late '50's in Northern Virginia--and influenced them to bring in their children, grand children and great grand children. And, of course, the adults accompany the kids. I am sure that is why so many adults, like the OP, hunger for a McD's burger. Generations of customers, all over the world now; great strategy.

5 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

Had a cheeky KFC today and the amount of salt coating the chicken was something I've not experienced in a long time.  The size of the portion of fries was also ridiculously small. 

Won't be visiting again.

KFC showcases it's heat-lamps in your face. I can't figure out if the message is "You got a problem with that?" or "Guess my age."

4 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

KFC showcases it's heat-lamps in your face. I can't figure out if the message is "You got a problem with that?" or "Guess my age."

It wouldn't be so bad but this was 10am and the outlet was empty.  It was all very clean and efficient.  The fries were served fresh.  It was the salt on the chicken wing and thigh that killed it. 

Can't complain as it was 158 baht for the meal which included an extra cold coffee thingy for the wife for which she thoroughly enjoyed. 

6 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

It wouldn't be so bad but this was 10am and the outlet was empty.  It was all very clean and efficient.  The fries were served fresh.  It was the salt on the chicken wing and thigh that killed it. 

Can't complain as it was 158 baht for the meal which included an extra cold coffee thingy for the wife for which she thoroughly enjoyed. 

You got all that extra FREE salt? Man, farangs are hard to please. I always smile like someone on psychadelics with whatever I get. lol

6 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

You got all that extra FREE salt? Man, farangs are hard to please. I always smile like someone on psychadelics with whatever I get. lol

We always smile but the downside was experienced once we left the counter.  Maybe they have a salt machine that dispenses vast amounts of saline on your chicken out of sight.

2 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

I don't eat hamburgers from McD's because they are fried, not grilled. The chicken sandwich at McD is superior to any chicken sandwich at any of the big three. 5b extra for the bbq sauce. Well worth it. 

MacDonalds is American.  The hamburger is the quintessential American food.  Grill is American.  Hamburgers ares cooked on a grill.   Below are photos of a grill and a fryer.  Grills grill and fryers fry. 

grill.jpg

fryer.jpg

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

Well the staff in McD and BK can't speak english, they should have learned it before applying for a job there. So i don't care if they pay for their mistakes...

They even don't know what a hamburger is...you have to say hambaagaaa or they don't get it.

You get the award.  You are the first Falang I have ever met who had a problem ordering a hamburger at MacDonald's.  They also have a duplicate of the menu board in plastic on the counter.  Next time take your finger and point.  Gin Nea is eat here and gup bon is take away.

mcdonalds-japan15a.jpg

finger.jpg

In Noth America when I want a fast food item made fresh say at McD's I just say "no pickles" and they then have to make it fresh. For fresh french fries, I ask for "no salt" and just add the salt myself. No doubt fresh made makes a big difference. 

On 11/24/2018 at 6:54 PM, Banana7 said:

BK also prides themselves of selling hot fresh food. Ask to see the manager, if anyone tries to serve anything less than quality food. BK website for feedback should be on the bottom of your receipt.

I don't really frequent McDonalds for burgers anywhere. But I do periodically try a burger at either Carl's Jr. or Burger King in BKK.

And as best as I can tell, the burgers both of them regularly serve up to me are NEVER freshly cooked, and it's not even apparent that they're recooked just prior to serving. The burger patties usually come out of their kitchens tepid in temperature, looking like they'd been sitting in a tray or other container for quite a while prior to service.

In the case of Carl's Jr., they may have been freshly grilled at some point, like the day before, or hours before. But pretty clearly not freshly grilled just prior to me receiving them as a customer.  At least, that's been my experience with those two chains here.

On 11/24/2018 at 6:54 PM, Banana7 said:

BK also prides themselves of selling hot fresh food.

'Prides themselves' is a statement I've come across dozens of times over the years, just never lives up to expectations.  In fact I avoid any company that prides themselves to anything.

24 minutes ago, seajae said:

its like KFC fries, they are always reheated and never fresh, they think pre cooking them then reheating is easier, in Thailand they do what ever is easiest for them and makes the most profit

You don't know Thai culture.  Order original recipe (Thais don't eat) and the new crinkle cut fries or wedge fries.  The fry status is in doubt as we talk because different areas are trying different ones.   Yum! Brands, Inc., based in Louisville, Kentucky, has over 45,000 restaurants in more than 140 countries and territories and is one of the Aon Hewitt Top Companies for Leaders in North America. In 2018. 

14 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

'Prides themselves' is a statement I've come across dozens of times over the years, just never lives up to expectations.  In fact I avoid any company that prides themselves to anything.

Rolls-Royce prides itself on having a clear understanding of its customer.

Thai visa prides itself on being the go to place for expats to get their daily news updates but also in discovering new initiatives within Thailand

11 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Rolls-Royce prides itself on having a clear understanding of its customer.

Thai visa prides itself on being the go to place for expats to get their daily news updates but also in discovering new initiatives within Thailand

Sorry but you're just making up these mottos on behalf of Rolls and TV.  Please don't insult my intelligence. 

I frequently eat at fast food places such as McDonalds. The food is just ok, so why would I eat there? The main reason is that there is a better chance that food safety procedures are followed! Having spent 13 years as a franchisee I know that food safety is stressed and a lot of time is spent training staff on this subject. Having seen how food is handled in the markets and many restaurants I am very concerned about this! Nothing is perfect, but you have a better chance of staying healthy eating food in a restaurant where food safety is required and enforced at least to some degree.

Archived