I want a hot sandwich at BK's and McD's in Thailand. Am I a jerk?

ThaiRebound

2 minutes ago, onekoolguy said:

The main reason is that there is a better chance that food safety procedures are followed!

Spot on the money.  The only reason we went to KFC this morning was food safety.  We have a long flight to falang land in a few days and I don't want to be saddled with food poisoning.  My wife will be fine with her nuclear-lined stomach, me not so.  Simple as that. 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

MacDonalds is American.  The hamburger is the quintessential American food.  Grill is American.  Hamburgers ares cooked on a grill.   Below are photos of a grill and a fryer.  Grills grill and fryers fry. 

Flame-broiled. Not fried. 

9 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

You get the award.  You are the first Falang I have ever met who had a problem ordering a hamburger at MacDonald's.  They also have a duplicate of the menu board in plastic on the counter.  Next time take your finger and point.  Gin Nea is eat here and gup bon is take away.

mcdonalds-japan15a.jpg

finger.jpg

And why do they give me 2 whole menu when i order 2 whoppers klab baan? 

And FYI, i live in the subs of BKK, not in sukhumivit...here nobody speaks a word english, also not in the fastfood restaurants. I don't want to point on their menu, the reason why i buy fastfood is because it's so easy (except in Thailand). And a whopper costs the same as in Europe so i can expect the same standards, including english language.

45 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

No, they have a great marketing team and most people who eat there don't have a clue what they are actually eating.

I was in college when the first MadDonalds opened up on our campus.  No marketing team only golden arches and cheap cheeseburgers.  Good hamburgers and fries made from real potatoes.  They switched to frozen a few years later.  By then the chain was rolling.  It was top quality management that made the business in savvy real estate purchases and producing a consistent product at an affordable price.  Most people understand the same quality food at reasonable prices world wide.  Have you tried a lychee McFizz or a Red Bean McFlurry?  No of course not.  Better to make a judgment without any knowledge. 

McDonalds_Museum.jpg

red_bean_mcflurry.png

9 hours ago, OneEyedPie said:

Sorry but you're just making up these mottos on behalf of Rolls and TV.  Please don't insult my intelligence. 

Insult what?  "Rolls-Royce prides itself as an innovations company and that it connects innovations to its customers."

http://www.spsairbuz.com/interviews/?id=7&h=Rolls-Royce-Partnership-with-India-Past-Present-and-Future

Rolls-Royce prides itself on being one of the best in the business;

http://eprints.nottingham.ac.uk/13221/1/S_Cramp_MSc_Dissertation.pdf

Shall I go on?  Or has your intelligence been satiated?

51 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I was in college when the first MadDonalds opened up on our campus.  No marketing team only golden arches and cheap cheeseburgers.  Good hamburgers and fries made from real potatoes.  They switched to frozen a few years later.  By then the chain was rolling.  It was top quality management that made the business in savvy real estate purchases and producing a consistent product at an affordable price.  Most people understand the same quality food at reasonable prices world wide.  Have you tried a lychee McFizz or a Red Bean McFlurry?  No of course not.  Better to make a judgment without any knowledge. 

McDonalds_Museum.jpg

red_bean_mcflurry.png

Sure, great food:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/13/mcdonalds-happy-meal-facts_n_4936593.html

https://www.care2.com/causes/5-reasons-to-never-let-your-kids-eat-mcdonalds.html

Widespread claims that McDonald's uses "pink slime" in its meat are a myth. The company says it removed the substance from its meat three years ago.

https://www.businessinsider.com/facts-about-mcdonalds-food-2014-5#does-mcdonalds-use-so-called-pink-slime-in-its-burgers-14

13 hours ago, onekoolguy said:

I frequently eat at fast food places such as McDonalds. The food is just ok, so why would I eat there? The main reason is that there is a better chance that food safety procedures are followed! Having spent 13 years as a franchisee I know that food safety is stressed and a lot of time is spent training staff on this subject. Having seen how food is handled in the markets and many restaurants I am very concerned about this! Nothing is perfect, but you have a better chance of staying healthy eating food in a restaurant where food safety is required and enforced at least to some degree.

YES, EXACTLY. I am living in Chiang Mai now for 2 years, only very rarely eat some food from the market (I do eat 90% Thai but made by my wife or at a real restaurant) . Last week my wife took fried bread stick home from the market. I do like them very much. But this time they tasted not the same. Not very bad, but still...  And got diarrhea after a few hours. Asked my wife about this, she bought them not at the same market as usual. We think the oil used to fry them was old. For a thai stomage no problem, but for me....

5 hours ago, fruitman said:

And why do they give me 2 whole menu when i order 2 whoppers klab baan? 

And FYI, i live in the subs of BKK, not in sukhumivit...here nobody speaks a word english, also not in the fastfood restaurants. I don't want to point on their menu, the reason why i buy fastfood is because it's so easy (except in Thailand). And a whopper costs the same as in Europe so i can expect the same standards, including english language.

You are confused.  MacDonald's does not sell whoppers.  Best point to the menu because you don't have a clue which restaurant you are in.  You are in Thailand and people speak Thai at the Ford dealership and at the American restaurant.  Same as France.  

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

It is a lie and you could be sued for saying that. 

Ingredients: 100% pure USDA inspected beef; no fillers, no extenders. Prepared with grill seasoning (salt, black pepper)

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/mcdonalds-100-beef/

In the time I worked at McDonalds as a assistent- manager, I was learned that although 100% beef, it contains approx. 20% meat-fat. 2 reasons for this : 1) less grill time and the patty get a nice scorch color,
2) 100% meat has almost no taste, the fat makes up the taste

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

It is a lie and you could be sued for saying that. 

Ingredients: 100% pure USDA inspected beef; no fillers, no extenders. Prepared with grill seasoning (salt, black pepper)

You are not fit to be a lawyer: You compared grill's, I compared meat.

Meat isn't meat in the sense that quality differs immensely depending from who you buy it.

I could sue you for calling me a liar.

On 11/25/2018 at 11:06 PM, ThaiRebound said:

Update: After a 2 month hiatus from BK, I decided to roll the dice again. The manager was new, the staff looked completely new as well. This time when I asked for a "new" burger, the manager took the order seriously. Of the dozen or so times I had been there in the past, this was the best of all. I am glad I saved my first time to wai anyone in Thailand for something special like this. 

Oh thank god I am so happy you worked out your mc Donalds conundrum. I will sleep so much better now. So glad you saved your bodgy thailand wai for a hamburger. 

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

You are confused.  MacDonald's does not sell whoppers.  Best point to the menu because you don't have a clue which restaurant you are in.  You are in Thailand and people speak Thai at the Ford dealership and at the American restaurant.  Same as France.  

I know very well where to buy burgers, the best ones are Whoppers from BK so that's what i eat.

And our Honda dealer can't speak english so we bought a Toyota...simple as that. They have a nice girl married to a farang who helped us in english.

I 'm happy to pay extra for being served in English....bad luck for the ones who can't speak it...

One hour ago i was at the BMW dealer for a new motocycle...the sales could speak littun english he said, so i walked straight out of the door.....

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

You are not fit to be a lawyer: You compared grill's, I compared meat.

Meat isn't meat in the sense that quality differs immensely depending from who you buy it.

I could sue you for calling me a liar.

I compared meat.  You wrote MacDonald's "Shame that meat isn't meat."  That's a lie.  It is 100% pure USDA inspected beef; no fillers, no extenders. Prepared with grill seasoning (salt, black pepper)

You lied about MacDonald's meat and that is liable.  Since it is easy to find out the truth you have been negligent in making published claims about MacDonald's meat and that could negatively impact their business.

Are internet forums publishers and therefore liable?

Is Facebook a publisher? In public it says no, but in court it says yes.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/02/facebook-mark-zuckerberg-platform-publisher-lawsuit

38 minutes ago, fruitman said:

And our Honda dealer can't speak english so we bought a Toyota...simple as that. They have a nice girl married to a farang who helped us in english.

I 'm happy to pay extra for being served in English....bad luck for the ones who can't speak it...

One hour ago i was at the BMW dealer for a new motocycle...the sales could speak littun english he said, so i walked straight out of the door.....

I live in Thailand I speak Thai.  If I wanted to sell Japanese cars in America I would speak English.

If you want to get served in English in Asia go to a country that English is the official language like Singapore. 

23 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

If you want to get served in English in Asia go to a country that English is the official language like Singapore. 

I just find shops where they do speak english or i walk straight out...works well. The very big motobike shop (largest) has a nice girl now who speaks fluent english...last year there were 2 men as sales who could only say: yes yes, honda dealer, yes...

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

I wrote:"Shame that meat isn't meat."

Never mentioned MacDonald's in that quote. Stop miss representing the truth. 

You wrote, " MCD is very poor quality, go eat somewhere else if you want decent food. "

I posted a photo of MacDonald's meat on a MacDonald's grill.

You replied to the post and re posted the photo of MacDonald's meat and

wrote. "Shame, that meat isn't meat." 

Do you deny you were writing about MacDonald's meat?

On 11/23/2018 at 7:51 PM, Kim J said:

Unfortunately it is often the Thai way, to cook food and sell it when cold. Thai's will see nothing wrong with that.

Couple this with the general low level customer services and poor quality such places peddle the world over, there really isn't much hope of getting anything decent from any of them, particularly in Thailand.

If you want fresh cooked and hot food, go elsewhere.

Yesterday had a burger at the local bistro. Thick, hand formed beef, crispy baguette style bun, baked on the premises, real bacon bits, a side salad, great frie, etc. Yeah, had to wait a bit, but I am retired. ????
It cost the same as a Big Mac "set", but was delicious, hot, and visually appealing, and no throw away packaging. Oh, three delicious onion rings, too.

No, you're not being a jerk, you are paying for it and Mickey Dee's motto has always been 'keep your buns warm, meat hot, lettuce tomatoes and onions cold."  Putting pre-made hamburgers under a lamp to keep them warm is not at all sanitary and could grow ecoli if the meat is undercooked.

You are paying for a hot sandwhich, they to need to deliver......I wrote Burger King for a pet peeve of mine - certain Burger King's do not offer Combo's. you have to buy everything separate (Swampy Airport)  they tried to tell Mgt that that was a satellite Burger King and not a full restaurant - that was the answer I got - I sent them a video of the place net time I went thru and Burger King sent me a $100 gift certificate.............haven't checked yet but are they offering Combo's in Swampy Airport now??

Archived