Thailand moves one step closer to legal marijuana

rooster59

Thailand moves one step closer to legal marijuana

By KHANITTHA THEPPHAJORN, 
KORNRAWEE PANYASUPPAKUN 
THE NATION WEEKEND

0b3f19e549fe8853cbf54f2eedac411c-sld.jpeg

Thailand is moving closer to getting medical marijuana legalised, as the bill on the issue has already made headway in the legislative process. File photo

GPO ready to develop medication, rejects seized cannabis.

THAILAND is moving closer to getting medical marijuana legalised, as the bill on the issue has already made headway in the legislative process. 

On Friday, the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) approved the bill with 145 votes allowing marijuana to be used for medical and research purposes. Nobody attending the NLA session objected to the bill, and only one legislator abstained. 

The NLA’s Somchai Swangkarn said a vetting committee on the bill has also been established. 

“We believe the NLA will take 60 days to deliberate this draft,” he said. 

Over the period, he also expects relevant authorities to sort out cannabis-related patent issues after several civic organisations expressed concerns that all patent applications submitted to the Intellectual Property Department came from foreigners. If this is true, then once medical marijuana is legalised, foreign firms may monopolise the market. 

“Government agencies should find ways to ensure that foreigners will not keep Thais away from the benefits of marijuana and kratom [Mitragyna speciosa],” Somchai said. 

NLA member Kitti Wasinondh hopes the assembly’s deliberation will ensure that the new law for medical marijuana can facilitate research in both public and private sectors. 

“Even the government should not be allowed to monopolise the benefits of marijuana,” he emphasised. 

Research has suggested that cannabinoids can be useful in the treatment of Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, cancer and more.

With the prospect of marijuana being legalised for research and medical purposes, the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation (GPO) and some government agencies have, in fact, already launched a study in preparation for the development of marijuana-based medicines. 

The police handed over 100 kilos of confiscated marijuana to the GPO last month for the use of research. 

However, the marijuana taken from drug rings is unfit for medical use as traces of pesticides, and heavy metals showed up in lab tests conducted by the Medical Science Department (MSD). 

All three samples of marijuana from the confiscated lot contained insecticides – namely chlorpyrifos, and cypermethrin – as well as traces of lead, mercury, arsenic and cadmium. In fact, one sample had both insecticides, as well as arsenic and mercury. 

MSD was told to conduct tests as GPO is looking into the possibility of using cannabis to develop sublingual drops for patients.

Opas Karnkawipong, MSD director-general, said on Friday the seized marijuana could not be developed into medication because it contained chlorpyrifos, a chemical farmers use to deal with pests. 

Exposure to chlorpyrifos can affect the nervous system, causing nausea, vomiting, muscle cramps and even respiratory failure, he explained.

The GPO, meanwhile, has come up with two measures. They will seek more cannabis from the police Narcotics Suppression Bureau for lab tests, as well as prepare planting cannabis at an indoor growing area in GPO’s building in Rangsit Klong 10. 

“Cannabis plants, especially female ones, contain a lot of useful cannabinoids, but they attract lots of insects, so farmers rely on pesticides. 

“However, if we want to grow it for medical use, we must not use these chemicals,” said Nuntakan Suwanpidokkul, director of GPO’s Research and Development Institute.

Nuntikan also promised that by May next year, GPO would have “something tangible”.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30359182

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-24

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

All three samples of marijuana from the confiscated lot contained insecticides – namely chlorpyrifos, and cypermethrin – as well as traces of lead, mercury, arsenic and cadmium. In fact, one sample had both insecticides, as well as arsenic and mercury. 

There does seem an irony that the phrase 'mother nature' sometimes used to refer to cannabis, shows that commercial growers have made the phrase an oxymoron.

"The GPO, meanwhile, has come up with two measures. They will seek more cannabis from the police Narcotics Suppression Bureau for lab tests, as well as prepare planting cannabis at an indoor growing area in GPO’s building in Rangsit Klong 10. "

Right that does it. Just sent them my CV. I wonder is this lab testing of puff prohibited for farangs?

i cant believe they just were thinking of using the old dirty and nasty confiscated weed that probably just sat somewhere for months or more and use it for medical MJ. Anything medicinal needs to be grown under professional care. Just trying to cut corners and make a quick buck i suppose...

This is why it needs to be legalized and regulated for all purposes. To reduce harm.

14 minutes ago, hobz said:

This is why it needs to be legalized and regulated for all purposes. To reduce harm.

100% bang on the money. But do you think that even if legalised and controlled, the Thai entities will still choose to not use pesticides? They cut corners everywhere 

8 minutes ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

100% bang on the money. But do you think that even if legalised and controlled, the Thai entities will still choose to not use insecticides? They cut corners everywhere 

Very good point. I wonder how much of the food in Thailand is safe...... 

1 minute ago, hobz said:

I don't eat rice anymore, and most of the veg I eat is frozen imports. 
The meat though, it's difficult to track where your chicken or whatever has come from, but it's safe to say it's pumped with growth hormone and all kinds of antibiotics. 

14 minutes ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

100% bang on the money. But do you think that even if legalised and controlled, the Thai entities will still choose to not use pesticides? They cut corners everywhere 

Same in many countries. The world is full of cheaters.

27 minutes ago, hobz said:

Safe ....... At the risk of a moderator accusing me of derailing a topic (I am not), are you aware of the massive advisory going on at this time in North America regarding romaine lettuce, E. coli bacteria?

It is advised not to buy, not to sell, dispose of if on hand, do not eat, do not order in restaurants.

And right at American Thanksgiving time.

1 hour ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

And that's assuming the pure plant is not in itself harmful. Not to mention its potential as a "gateway drug".

I know in my case that it was psychologically harmful and certainly would have affected my ability to produce software under stringent quality standards within difficult deadlines and even stay employed or even desire to stay employed. I know from my experience as a veteran software developer and team leader in Silicon Valley that stoned people cannot produce complex software, no matter how intelligent they are.

3 hours ago, neeray said:

You think Thai driving is bad now !!!

Yeah- because the WHOLE country is going to go out and get stoned straight away isn't it?

Canada legalised it last month and the country didn't go into meltdown. In the big scheme of things it was a non-event, as it will be here.

9 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

And that's assuming the pure plant is not in itself harmful. Not to mention its potential as a "gateway drug".

I know in my case that it was psychologically harmful and certainly would have affected my ability to produce software under stringent quality standards within difficult deadlines and even stay employed or even desire to stay employed. I know from my experience as a veteran software developer and team leader in Silicon Valley that stoned people cannot produce complex software, no matter how intelligent they are.

Yeah, just like beer makes one want to mainline whisky and vodka. it's an old, tired argument. I know people who smoke and have no interest in ice, heroin or cocaine.  Just because it affected you adversely doesn't mean it does to others. Time to change the record.

10 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

Aw you’re just making it up. All of your assumptions are incorrect. I know from personal experience.

2 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Yeah- because the WHOLE country is going to go out and get stoned straight away isn't it?

Canada legalised it last month and the country didn't go into meltdown. In the big scheme of things it was a non-event, as it will be here.

It is way to early to tell if Canada will go into "meltdown" or not. For one thing, many people have not even been able to get delivery of their 2-joint supply as there has been a rotating postal strike on.

Best we revisit this topic a year from now.

Just now, neeray said:

It is way to early to tell if Canada will go into "meltdown" or not. For one thing, many people have not even been able to get delivery of their 2-joint supply as there has been a rotating postal strike on.

Best we revisit this topic a year from now.

The black market doesn’t rely on Canada Post and they deliver to your door. Also, they sell for less and without all the ridiculous packaging.

“Government agencies should find ways to ensure that foreigners will not keep Thais away from the benefits of marijuana and kratom [Mitragyna speciosa],” Somchai said. 

I think what Somchai meant to say is, the "Government agencies should find a way to ensure foreigners will not keep certain Thai's away from the financial benefits of marijuana and kratom money".

11 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

The black market doesn’t rely on Canada Post and they deliver to your door. Also, they sell for less and without all the ridiculous packaging.

"Black market". Who said "black market"? Here are your own words "Canada legalised it last month". So why bring up black market? Let's stay on topic.

Archived