STEAM: can't even pay for games with Paypal!

BurgerGung

Well, I happen to be living and working here while having all my credit on another continent. Including those billing addresses for credit cards and Paypal.

WTH is eating STEAM? Do Thai players get some  d i c o u n t s vs players in the UK etc.? 

We are talking a few pounds here. 2xx THB. 

Surely, there are other expats out there who happen to live in Thailand? 

Q: Got a solution?

Tunnelbear? (Q: are prices different when someone in the UK or Europe goes to the STEAM store)??

Do I need to bother some Thai with a credit card to make these purchases for me?!???

Yes there are different prices between regions, sometimes even different content from the same game. If you don't have a local credit card, you could look to buy a prepay one such as the Air Asia one that works around the region and can be topped up using your foreign cards. Or try your local Thai bank debit card if its a visa/mastercard debit card.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Yeah, the prices can differ quite a bit between regions. I have a special Thai PayPal account that I use for things like this. Perhaps you could create one as well, transfer the amount you need from your UK PayPal account and then buy the game.

Not sure if it's against the PayPal ToS, so do it at your own risk, but I've never encountered any problems.

2 hours ago, Myran said:

Yeah, the prices can differ quite a bit between regions. I have a special Thai PayPal account that I use for things like this. Perhaps you could create one as well, transfer the amount you need from your UK PayPal account and then buy the game.

Not sure if it's against the PayPal ToS, so do it at your own risk, but I've never encountered any problems.

... You need a bank account for that. Am waiting ffor my WP, work permit...

what I personally do (and it's quite a bit of a work around) is buy Team Fortress 2 keys using Paypal from some guy in my friends list then I sell them on the marketplace for more than i bought them for

I reckon he sells them for $1.80 USD (59 baht?) each and you can sell them for 75, you get 67.5 baht per after Steam takes its 10% share.

I do have a debit card that I can use as credit card here but still use it this way because I get like 14% more funds that way.

https://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/440/Mann Co. Supply Crate Key

I just did it now, he sells them for $1.70 x 68, should be $115 but I had to pay the fees (5%) so paid $121 to him on Paypal
bought at 58.87 baht, sold at 74.67 (you get 64.94 each after fees)

paid 4002 baht, got 4415. so +413 baht.

seems like a lot of work but that literally took me 5 minutes and it's +10%..
the price in Thailand is much lower than it is back home so it's win win.

got monies for the 2018 Winter Sale next month now.

On 11/24/2018 at 11:12 PM, BurgerGung said:

... You need a bank account for that. Am waiting ffor my WP, work permit...

To open a Thai Paypal account? Not to my knowledge. I sure didn't have one when I opened it a few years back.

4 hours ago, Myran said:

To open a Thai Paypal account? Not to my knowledge. I sure didn't have one when I opened it a few years back.

you can open a Thai Paypal account but unless things have changed you will not be able to link anything to it but Thai accounts

of course you could send some money from your paypal from abroad to it but then you are paying fees .

• 3 weeks later...

iirc all you have to do is set your home country to wherever you are residing. I was living in Ukraine and had no problem with Steam. Downloads, purchases, etc. There were some games that specified I would only be able to play the game in certain countries but have not noticed any problems..yet.

You will find a clickable "update store country" link on your account details page (right-hand side). Once you update your country to Thailand make sure your bank has been notified you are using your card in Thailand (travel notification)

Archived