Two monks injured in brawl after drinking session

rooster59

13 hours ago, Ctkong said:

People give food to make merit. They are not giving it to the monks per se. Just the motion of giving to charity. Buddhism insist upon oneself to make spiritual advancement and not counting on others to help out. You cultivate your spiritual self and you reap the rewards yourself no others. ...

Yes, I agree. It is the act of giving which gains merit.
There are no rules about verifying the suitability of the recipients of your charity.

22 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Police will wait for them to recover before asking the abbot to defrock both of them so that they would face legal charges.

Are monks above the law? ????

Do they not learn anything from Buddhism? Or are they just lazy bludgers on society?

9 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

Yes, I agree. It is the act of giving which gains merit.
There are no rules about verifying the suitability of the recipients of your charity.

Reminds me of the "sanctity" of the Roman Catholic Church confessional! They also, are above the laws of the land. Can cover up criminality in their midst and don't care about the reasonable good expectations and decency standards of fellow humans. Just people, under the cover of a religion/belief system seeking to gratify their own immoral/illegal ends! ???? And the adherents/followers of the religion/belief system support them for their OWN, perhaps, selfish reasons. Hmmm........... ????

2 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Are monks above the law? ????

Do they not learn anything from Buddhism? Or are they just lazy bludgers on society?

Yes, technically, they are above the law.  They cannot have charges laid upon them until they are defrocked which is usually done automatically.

24 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Yes, technically, they are above the law.  They cannot have charges laid upon them until they are defrocked which is usually done automatically.

Oh, I guess that is why that some other rich monks have managed to escape the country, time taken to de-frock and laying of charges? How convenient.

17 hours ago, Ctkong said:

People give food to make merit. They are not giving it to the monks per se. Just the motion of giving to charity. Buddhism insist upon oneself to make spiritual advancement and not counting on others to help out. You cultivate your spiritual self and you reap the rewards yourself no others. ...

Exactly what I said,,,, Brainwashing ,,,, ( Merit-making is important to Buddhist practice: merit brings good and agreeable results, determines the quality of the next life and contributes to a person's growth towards enlightenment.) There's No afterlife  When you die that's The End.

3 hours ago, manhood said:

Well why people bend down their head to monks. They aren't any better than anybody else. So can't have any respect for them

Oh dear!  They don't bow their heads to the individual, they bow their heads for what he represents.

The same as the president of the US.  Respect is not given to Trump but the the office he holds.

6 hours ago, digger70 said:

There's No afterlife  When you die that's The End.

You are entitled to an opinion but others are entitled to their faith.

I actually agree with you on the above quote, but there are many that don't, which is fair enough.

9 hours ago, HHTel said:

I actually agree with you on the above quote, but there are many that don't, which is fair enough.

You’re not 'entitled ' to an opinion,you simply have them. You’re not entitled to express an opinion unchallenged.

On 11/24/2018 at 4:19 PM, HHTel said:

You'd think before joining the monkhood, they would at least learn the 5 precepts of Buddhism even if the general populace don't follow them!

I have often read stories of people joining the monkhood to avoid the legal system. These things are bound to happen if the monkhood accepts these people.

12 hours ago, HHTel said:

Why do people have faith in religious teachings? Because they do not truly choose it, they believe because it seems to make sense to them, or they were conditioned to such beliefs by parents, partly out of fear, and they were too young to question the precepts and then retained it without thinking logically. Some wake up from that when their education results in curiosity and the ability to think logically.

Archived