Red Curry, Thai Omelette Among Oldest Thai Food: Expert

rooster59

Red Curry, Thai Omelette Among Oldest Thai Food: Expert

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

IMG_20181122_134225-696x522.jpg

Old unidentified temple murals dating to the Ayutthaya period show how Siamese monks and lay people eat.

BANGKOK — Chicken red curry, crispy Thai omelette and chilli paste are three of the centuries-old recorded Thai dishes still common today, an expert said Thursday.

The three were listed among a dozen meals offered to Buddhist monks at the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, or Wat Phra Kaew, in 1809 in Bangkok during the reign of King Rama I, according to retired folklore professor Sukanya Sujachaya.

Now, they’re on a new list of dishes the Culture Ministry hopes to register as cultural heritage with UNESCO.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/food/2018/11/24/red-curry-thai-omelette-among-oldest-thai-food-expert/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-11-24

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Chicken red curry, crispy Thai omelette and chilli paste are three of the centuries-old recorded Thai dishes still common today, an expert said Thursday.

True, the chilli connection is centuries-old, but around three centuries.

I wonder what was used before that, if Thai food was spicy then? Black pepper, from what I can find originates from India, but was known in China from the 2nd century.

7 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

True, the chilli connection is centuries-old, but around three centuries.

I wonder what was used before that, if Thai food was spicy then? Black pepper, from what I can find originates from India, but was known in China from the 2nd century.

" Put them in the Curry " 

IMG_20181124_071224.jpg

According to Wikipedia there is evidence for chilli use before it was introduced into the west.

"Contrary to the Columbian Exchange, evidence of the use of chili peppers in Southeast Asia can be found in stone inscriptions from the Bagan period of the thirteenth-century Myanmar. The Shwe-Kun-Cha Pagoda stone inscriptions (1223 CE) of King Nadoungmya (1234 – 1254 CE) included five baskets of chiles in the list of his donations to the pagoda and a slightly later stone inscription (1248 CE) of Princess A-Saw-Kyaum, alternative transliteration Asawgyun, included chiles alongside rice, betel nut, and salt in the cost of her merit makings."

52 minutes ago, Dionigi said:

According to Wikipedia there is evidence for chilli use before it was introduced into the west.

"Contrary to the Columbian Exchange, evidence of the use of chili peppers in Southeast Asia can be found in stone inscriptions from the Bagan period of the thirteenth-century Myanmar. The Shwe-Kun-Cha Pagoda stone inscriptions (1223 CE) of King Nadoungmya (1234 – 1254 CE) included five baskets of chiles in the list of his donations to the pagoda and a slightly later stone inscription (1248 CE) of Princess A-Saw-Kyaum, alternative transliteration Asawgyun, included chiles alongside rice, betel nut, and salt in the cost of her merit makings."

That's interesting. Have you got a link to the wiki page you quoted?

Archived