76 flying lanterns land in Chiang Mai airport

rooster59

76 flying lanterns land in Chiang Mai airport

By The Nation

dd1326c7af3c31305a6ea253c9719a73.jpeg

A total of 76 flying lanterns landed in the compound of Chiang Mai International Airport on the second night of Yi Peng or Chiang Mai's traditional Loy Krathong Festival.

Airport officials said 76 were collected from the airport's compound from Friday night to early Saturday.

The authorities allowed Yi Peng revellers to release flying lanterns on Thursday and Friday nights when all flights were cancelled.

Airport officials said 20 lanterns landed on the runway, 20 on the taxiway, six on hangars, and 30 more on lawns.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30359222

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-24

Yep   saw a ton around city today biking...and all the styrofoam kratongs in rivers..

Here ya go folks..give me money, as its just a rental of soon to be trash

All in the name of "good luck"?  selfish..at what price?......just dont be a a**hole maybe?

1 hour ago, ChakaKhan said:

Yep   saw a ton around city today biking...and all the styrofoam kratongs in rivers..

Here ya go folks..give me money, as its just a rental of soon to be trash

All in the name of "good luck"?  selfish..at what price?......just dont be a a**hole maybe?

It all depends on the answer you get to the question

How wide is your own horizon?

4 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

They wouldn't have this problem if they made everyone register and insure their lanterns like they do drones 

Or they could have them with no fire in them. and not made from paper. 

and if the could have four propellers on each corner powered by electric motors, and perhaps a radio controlled navigation system. Then I think these lanterns would be more safe.  

Can remember being in Chiang Mai years ago for Loy Kratong, which has always been truly spectacular affair up there, with colourful street processions and lots of other stuff for tourists to gawp at.

The revelries were interrupted at regular intervals, I recall, by the clang of fire engines rushing to the scene of fires started by lanterns landing on wooden houses and other buildings and setting them ablaze.

Don't know if anything's been done to prevent a Great Fire of Chiang Mai becoming the highlight of the festival at some time inthe future. Probably not, as it would mean spoiling the fun!

One year there was a catastrophic fire in the soi behind Warorot market. The lantern landed at the back of the property on the piece of roof that was see through plastic rather than tiles. Eventually burnt through to fabric stored below and then of course the fire trucks could not get through. Still see absolutely no safety measures brought in.

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

Or they could have them with no fire in them. and not made from paper. 

and if the could have four propellers on each corner powered by electric motors, and perhaps a radio controlled navigation system. Then I think these lanterns would be more safe.  

There were some idiots flying drones low over the crowd at Thapae gate and low up the procession towards the river, dropping very low to hover about 20 feet at one stage. Towards the end one was even brought into land in the middle of the crowd. To those who think this is all jolly good fun google the manufacturers guidelines for use. For those who actually know then the UK dronecode is worth checking, it is legally enforceable:

Here are the six rules of the dronecode:

Keep your drone in your line of sight
    Stay below 400ft (120m)
    You must follow the manufacturer's instructions
    Keep your distance (50m from people and property, 150m from crowds and built-up areas)
    You are responsible for each flight
    Keep at least 1km away from aircraft, airports and airfields

There were numerous police and army there at the time. I have no idea what they were doing.

I did notice this year that the lanterns didnt stay airborne for long , they would go up and come back down within a few minutes , previously they would stay airborne until they flew out of sight and they would have landed very far away .

This year , there were just as many lanterns coming down , as there were going up and in previous years lanterns coming down was quite rare .

Maybe they reduced the wick size this year ?

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Or the air was warmer than last year.

So less lift from the candle.

No powah mista..solly solly..mai dai..cannot....must rest now...mai mee  too hot in cm today...

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Or the air was warmer than last year.

So less lift from the candle.

Saw quite a few Police signs yesterday " No setting off lanterns , 60 000Baht fine and/or 3 years in jail .

I asked a Policeman whether we could set of lanterns here (where I was) , he replied that "No, its forbidden" , I asked him where and when I could set one off and he replied "Just wait until everyone else sets their off and join in "

Archived