"Airmail" taking weeks from THA to the USA - is that normal?

BurgerGung

The other day i sent a very important legal document to Melbourne via express mail, 530 Baht, 8 days they said, 3 weeks later and a card dropped in the recipient mailbox to come and collect the "misdelivered" package" upon inquiring what happened Auspost claim that no one home and they wrongly dropped the misdelivery card in the wrong mailbox, no apologies and no compensations from either Thai Post or Auspost  while we suffered great losses...

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

The delay isnt the Thai end its clearing customs.

That can vary dramatically depending on where it lands. If it goes into LA or Chicago different to New York and so on. Thats luck of the draw on which flight it gets put on.

Xmas increase in volumes will exacerbate the situation.

• Like 1

I sometimes send post to the UK. I find it always gets delivered within 7 days (often less), but in the other direction (UK>TH) it can easily take 3-4 weeks. No idea why.
Strange i order fishing stuff from ebay from uk sellers and its almost always here in 1.5 week.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Strange i order fishing stuff from ebay from uk sellers and its almost always here in 1.5 week.

Things sometimes get here in less than a couple of weeks for me also, but my point was that for me it invariably takes longer for letters to go UK>TH than for letters to go TH>UK.

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I sometimes send post to the UK. I find it always gets delivered within 7 days (often less), but in the other direction (UK>TH) it can easily take 3-4 weeks. No idea why.

Probably depends on your local post office delivery system. I live in central Bangkok and I always receive my Mastercard statements within 7 -10 days of the statement date.

Things sometimes get here in less than a couple of weeks for me also, but my point was that for me it invariably takes longer for letters to go UK>TH than for letters to go TH>UK.
For me its not sometimes its always usually 9 or 10 days. Maybe packages have priority over letters. I live in BKK that might make a difference too.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

For standard airmail (37 baht/oz) I allow 14 calendar days for delivery from Thailand to the U.S. Obviously if there are a boatload of holidays on either end I'd bump that up a bit.

Based on my sending stuff THL->USA and USA-->THL, it seems to take ~ 10 calendar days. This is for standard letters, postcards, birthday cards etc.

I would think Thai Post dispatches airmail to the U.S.A. each/every (365x) day?

That's about right from my experiences.

From Thailand-to-U.S. * 8-10 days express post [not standard mail]

I send a lot of stuff to Australia via Airmail, from cartons of shirts to just a letter, last year I had a letter take 5 weeks to be delivered, cartons take anything from 2 1/2 weeks to 4 weeks normally, however the problem is not at this end, I always use tracking and normally it takes no more than 2 days to be put on a flight outbound.

It was suggested to me that Aust Post treats anything coming from Thailand with a degree of suspicion which slows everything down, perhaps US Post does the same.

EMS however is normally delivered in around 7 days, I've seen it on an aircraft out of here on the day I posted it and the flights are overnight, so the parcel is showing as accepted in Sydney the next morning, that means 6 days to deliver it, bloody hopeless.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:38 AM, Langsuan Man said:

When using tracking, I never see letter mail taking a week to get to the US, but I do see it sitting in US Customs @ Los Angeles for a week or more

It seems similar for Mail from Thailand to Canada is always delivered between 7 to 10 business days. When I use tracking, it leave Thailand after 3 days .   

The usual delay is at Canada Custom in Richmond, BC. More than 4 days is not unusual.

Note for Canadian: *  At the moment we have a Canada Post rotating strike, so if urgent use DHL-FEDEX or UPS.  Parcel are retained abroad at most SE Asia countries as no space to accept  them.

I was living on the South coast of England when I came back here to see if could retire here some three years ago. Many people I know asked me to send them a postcard so on my first full day here I sent a bundle of postcards from the Pattaya post office. No one believed I'd sent them until a month after I'd arrived home (I had been in Pattaya for a month) they all turned up on the same day, eight weeks after posting at a main post office. I have lived here on and off for over 30 years and the postal service can no longer surprise me!

I sent a letter by EMS from Surin to Missouri, USA that arrived within 7 days. I have also received 2 letters from the IRS Regional Office in Texas that arrived 5 weeks after the date of the enclosed correspondence, informing me I had 30 days to respond. Both letters had a "La Poste" cancellation stamp.

If you add "Registered Mail" to your letter/package you'd find out that it's being held up in the USA by the rather inept USPS (you can track registered mail).  The last letter I sent to the US took over 30 days to transit from New York to Pennsylvania and it had already cleared US Customs.  Other letters average between 10 days to three weeks transit once inside the US.  That's pretty pathetic.  Then best of luck during Christmas.

The average transit time for registered mail to go from the Thai post office locally and to be loaded on a plane bound for the US is about 48 hours.  The problem is not local.

Edited by connda

I've used EMS service many times over several years for an envelope of documents Thailand to Melbourne. 500Baht every time.

Received in Melbourne every time (I know from the tracking and a confirmation e-mail from the receiver) between 3 to 5 working days.

33 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I've used EMS service many times over several years for an envelope of documents Thailand to Melbourne. 500Baht every time.

Received in Melbourne every time (I know from the tracking and a confirmation e-mail from the receiver) between 3 to 5 working days.

Correction, should be Chiang Mai to Melbourne. Received in Melbourne every time (I know from the tracking and a confirmation e-mail from the receiver) between 3 to 5 working days.

On 11/25/2018 at 7:52 AM, ezzra said:

The other day i sent a very important legal document to Melbourne via express mail, 530 Baht, 8 days they said, 3 weeks later and a card dropped in the recipient mailbox to come and collect the "misdelivered" package" upon inquiring what happened Auspost claim that no one home and they wrongly dropped the misdelivery card in the wrong mailbox, no apologies and no compensations from either Thai Post or Auspost  while we suffered great losses...

Courier.

I mean, did you consider your lost  opportunity cost in saving a few bucks?

On 11/25/2018 at 8:08 AM, CharlieH said:

The delay isnt the Thai end its clearing customs.

That can vary dramatically depending on where it lands. If it goes into LA or Chicago different to New York and so on. Thats luck of the draw on which flight it gets put on.

Xmas increase in volumes will exacerbate the situation.

yes

Same here.. From Germany to TH or TH to Ger, min 2 weeks of you pay some 50$ priority (may be more) charge and get your Letter in 3 days. My client sends me important Documents like that. Phone call with info there comes a letter and 2-3 days later the post-boy rings the doorbell.