Merida specific model

bluesofa

While I haven’t been cycling much for years, I did borrow a bike earlier in the year and cycled about 600/700kms on it. It was comfortable and I found it easy to ride.

I’m trying to find out if this specific model is still for sale.

From what I can see in the photos I have, it’s MTB series MATTS 40, straight handlebars. 24 gears.

I hope I’m using the correct word when I say I want to use it for “touring” – as in cycling on roads (maybe 100km/day). It’s confused me somewhat as I thought MTB was Mountain Bike? That is something I definitely do not want it for.

The Merida I borrowed was about 4 years old? My friend said he bought it new for 18,000 Baht. I was hoping it maybe still be for sale at perhaps 20,000 Baht as I’m on a tight budget.

Although there’s a bike shop in town near me, where I know the original Merida was purchased from, I don’t want to ask there first, as having not much knowledge about bicycles I don’t want someone trying to sell me something else that I’d have no idea if it was what I needed or not.

Thanks in advance.

I think Merida discontinued the Matts series in 2014. I had a Matts 100 some time ago and did some road touring with a change of rubber. But, with shorter chainstays and a front suspension fork it is primarily a mountain bike.

Without going to the $$$ spend of a specific touring bike, you might consider something simple like a flat bar hybrid with MTB gearing. Probably forgo the weight, price and complexity of a suspension fork unless you intend to ride rough tracks. Have a look at the LA Bike Infinite series 'Hybrid Dual Sport' [with sus fork] or 'Fitness Bike' to get an idea.... most mainstream manufacturers  produce a similar range.

Archived