Coffee Beans

ellathai

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thailand produces some of the best coffee in the world. Unfortunately 90% of the estates are owned by Nescafe, who blend it into their freeze dried products.

I have always preferred single estate coffee, rather than blended. I buy coffee beans at Friendship supermarket in Pattaya, from one of the Royal estates, and have them ground to my specification at the point of sale. Superb breakfast coffee. Retails at 88 baht/100g.

Always use a Bialetti stove top coffee maker and, as I like cappuccino, I bought a milk creamer from Homepro, which is the best I've ever had.

2 hours ago, balo said:

I can recommend the Colombian coffee beans sold at Tesco .

It's import from the UK and only 180 baht for one bag. 

This is my favorite whole beans. 

74323571-5053947492136.jpg

I think that you will find that pack contains "ground coffee". I see about 5 different types locally in Udon Tesco Lotus, however, my temperamental bean to cup machine restricts me to only 2 off the available types. I also have a French press and an Aeropress to hand if I choose the other brands.

3-in-1 is cheaper and less hassle.

She drinks it black and no sugar and is asking about coffee Beans. So of what of the purpose of your submission? None I’d reckon.

Epicureans and coffee afficianados don’ t mind a bit of “hassle” I drink coffee almost everyday and have NEVER touched the so called three in one rubbish as it is not as much coffee but copious amounts of sugar, plus fake milk, a bit of freeze dried coffee remnant plus whatever chemicals and adulterants are necessary to keep the product stabile on the shelf.

As taste is subjective advice to the OP is shop around and try different beans to find what she likes. There is good Thai grown coffee sold whole bean from the North as well.IMG_2053.jpg

11 hours ago, NiwPix said:

I just created a little online store for my Restaurant & Bakery, where I also sell Coffee Beans. We use the brand Delta in our Restaurant. In my humble opinion this is some of the best coffee I have had. They are planted, grown, harvested and roasted on the same property. I have quite a few regulars that come by and get the beans here.

Have a look here:

https://www.peppersbakery.com/store.html

Sent you a pm.

3 hours ago, stereolab said:

I think that you will find that pack contains "ground coffee".

Yes but it's also available as whole beans, just could not find the picture. My local Tesco in N-Pattaya have plenty of them , also the Sumatra beans are good. 

17 minutes ago, balo said:

Yes but it's also available as whole beans, just could not find the picture. My local Tesco in N-Pattaya have plenty of them , also the Sumatra beans are good. 

Thanks for that, I did not retain any packaging for my Tesco beans, it is a similar pack if I recall correctly. 

4 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

She drinks it black and no sugar and is asking about coffee Beans. So of what of the purpose of your submission? None I’d reckon.

Epicureans and coffee afficianados don’ t mind a bit of “hassle” I drink coffee almost everyday and have NEVER touched the so called three in one rubbish as it is not as much coffee but copious amounts of sugar, plus fake milk, a bit of freeze dried coffee remnant plus whatever chemicals and adulterants are necessary to keep the product stabile on the shelf.

As taste is subjective advice to the OP is shop around and try different beans to find what she likes. There is good Thai grown coffee sold whole bean from the North as well.IMG_2053.jpg

Well roared, lion!

28 minutes ago, ellathai said:

I'm off to Vietnam Feb have heard good things about there coffee. Someone on the forum said they bought 4kg while there

Vietnam has become the second biggest coffee exporter in the world after Brazil! However, most of it is Robusta. Connaisseurs prefer Arabica or at least a blend of the two. Be careful, therefore, what you buy.

Boncafe in either ground or bean form. Buy at Makro - much cheaper there. 250 grams B114.

I have recently taken "lessons" in how to make really proper coffee. Why? Because the devil is in the detail! PM me if you would like me to help you!

3 in 1 ?? where the bulk of the material is sugar! Absolutely awful stuff and hopelessly expensive.

8 hours ago, balo said:

I can recommend the Colombian coffee beans sold at Tesco .

It's import from the UK and only 180 baht for one bag. 

This is my favorite whole beans. 

74323571-5053947492136.jpg

I will try to buy it not far than today:smile: I buy mine on Lazada

1 hour ago, CanuckThai said:

880 baht per kilo...wow.  That's a little steep...is a bottle of Bailey's Irish cream included?

Eh? About half the price I was paying for a similar quality bean in the UK. Yes, you can get cheaper pre-packed in Tesco Lotus but nowhere near the quality.

Sorry I could have shown the links for the coffee

https://www.lazada.co.th/-i252369732-s389398981.html?spm=a2o4m.order_list.detail_image..7b0561087TGOrr&urlFlag=true&mp=1

https://www.lazada.co.th/-i224136679-s342601323.html?spm=a2o4m.order_list.detail_image..7b056108iUO7Hx&urlFlag=true&mp=1

I bought this machine not long because ago,  it has two boilers, one for the coffee's water one for the vapour so no need to wait for between coffes so it has  1400 w X 2

IMG_3201.jpeg

I order Doi Chang 100% French Arabica from Lazada. It comes in 250G Packages. The more you order the cheaper it is. They offer a 2 bags. one of French and one Vienna for 300 Baht. All of my friends like the French roast (darkness 5/5). The Vienna is 4/5.

In my experience, if the coffee is freshly ground and then brewed directly, it really doesn't matter much what beans you use, meaning from where they come. The really top quality beans (blue mountain) are so expensive you wouldn't buy them anyway. I usually try to buy dark roasted Arabica generic brand, that's good enough for my 5 daily cups of coffee, been drinking that since I was 15 -16 years old.

2 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

In my experience, if the coffee is freshly ground and then brewed directly, it really doesn't matter much what beans you use, meaning from where they come. The really top quality beans (blue mountain) are so expensive you wouldn't buy them anyway. I usually try to buy dark roasted Arabica generic brand, that's good enough for my 5 daily cups of coffee, been drinking that since I was 15 -16 years old.

Oh it does matter. Beans come in different grades. Beans from different areas taste different. And then there is Organic.

4 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I buy my coffee from a local cafe who imports 100kg bags of coffee from Laos.

They roast the beans and sell whole or ground for B250 for 500g.

I'm a real coffee lover and these beans are the best I have found in  Khon Kaen.

Couldn't agree more. When I first had coffee from Laos, I couldn't believe how got it is/was. Been drinking Laos coffee every since. I think it is just a matter of time until Laos coffee will be on the "coffee map" for having great coffee.

Archived