Coffee Beans

ellathai

If you like your black coffee on the strongish side, I recommend Starbucks Maun Jai blend. As far as I know Thailand is the only place you can get it as it is made here but not exported. Even though you have a grinder, let the barrista do it for drip machines (specify basket or cone filter). They also give you a loyalty card. After you buy 4 you can get a free one. It is pricier than supermarket brands, but the free one makes up for it a bit. I am not especially a fan of Starbucks but for a black full bodied brew, try Maun Jai.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, See Will said:

Two Germans are since decades owners of the Royal Coffee Pattaya, soi Khao Noi (Boonsamphan).

They import coffee as wholesaler but when you go there you will definitely get your pound as well.

Beside they are well stocked with various beers and spirits that are not found in the common shelf.

Its a small shop but about coffee they are sure the Address to go. 

Beside I didn't go for the modern coffee makers. The good old classic one with a handle Grandmother has is almost in every Kitchenshop available.

I use that one, put the grind into a hot can and pour hot water over. Then just wait until the grind has set on the bottom and you will wake up memories of Granny's coffee with this full flavor no modern machine can get even close to.

More work for sure but for a REAL coffee gourmet the only way to go.

Your ideas became outmoded and archaic in 1884.  Real coffee gourmets were not your granny they had coffee shops in Milan. 

At the 1906 Milan Fair, the two men introduced the world to “cafeé espresso“. Bezzera and Pavoni not granny and everything your granny knew about coffee became hopelessly out of date. 

My grandmother had a Pavoni espresso machine and made wonderful coffee each morning and so do I. 

moriondo_550.jpg

milan.jpg

24 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Your ideas became outmoded and archaic in 1884.  Real coffee gourmets were not your granny they had coffee shops in Milan. 

At the 1906 Milan Fair, the two men introduced the world to “cafeé espresso“. Bezzera and Pavoni not granny and everything your granny knew about coffee became hopelessly out of date. 

My grandmother had a Pavoni espresso machine and made wonderful coffee each morning and so do I. 

This is what most Italians use to make their coffee. Simple, uncomplicated and makes the perfect cup of coffee.

Absolutely no need for some Heath Robinson contraption to take up half your worktop.

untitled.png.6f949ab2794841d24faf9f9ccdaeb4b9.png

8 minutes ago, Spidey said:

This is what most Italians use to make their coffee. Simple, uncomplicated and makes the perfect cup of coffee.

Absolutely no need for some Heath Robinson contraption to take up half your worktop.

moka pots have their uses but most people graduate and progress beyond to an espresso machine. 

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

For most Italians, Moka remains a source of nostalgia. As the Moka faded into the background, most Italians ignored the American percolators and filter coffees and tried their hand once more at a traditional espresso machine. 

http://www.italymagazine.com/featured-story/changing-face-italian-espresso

I have one it makes terrible coffee no crema.

mocha.jpg

6 hours ago, pmarlowe said:

If you like your black coffee on the strongish side, I recommend Starbucks Maun Jai blend. As far as I know Thailand is the only place you can get it as it is made here but not exported. Even though you have a grinder, let the barrista do it for drip machines (specify basket or cone filter). They also give you a loyalty card. After you buy 4 you can get a free one. It is pricier than supermarket brands, but the free one makes up for it a bit. I am not especially a fan of Starbucks but for a black full bodied brew, try Maun Jai.

Personally I prefer a smooth non 'bitter' coffee and always buy the Starbucks Pikes Place beans - I use through an AeroPress for 2 mins

5 hours ago, vinegarbase said:

The best coffee in Thailand. They have a few different blends, peaberry is the best. All the beans come from the mountains of Chiang Mai and are roasted fresh weekly at his shop in Hang Dong area of Chiang Mai. The owner is Dutch. Free shipping if you buy in bulk. 

https://alti-coffee.com/shop/

A bit off topic, I have tried to buy coffee beans from Vietnam. Up there, they feed the beans to a local species of weasel, and collect the beans after they have passed through the digestive system. It adds a piquant flavour.

I understand the difficulty is coffee is quite frequently used to confuse sniffer dogs searching for concealed drugs. So no can do, according to the supplier I contacted.

6 hours ago, stereolab said:

Most machines only produce 15 bars of pressure, 19 is therefore better.

decades of testing & trial/error conclude the best all around brew pressure is 9 bar. the most expensive high end pro machines reaching 15 to 20k usd are set to 9 bar.  espresso wont taste better at 19 bars

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

A bit off topic, I have tried to buy coffee beans from Vietnam. Up there, they feed the beans to a local species of weasel, and collect the beans after they have passed through the digestive system. It adds a piquant flavour.

I understand the difficulty is coffee is quite frequently used to confuse sniffer dogs searching for concealed drugs. So no can do, according to the supplier I contacted.

tons of such coffeev4 sale in vietnam. lotte mart has lots

On 11/26/2018 at 6:04 PM, ellathai said:

This is fantastic l never thought l would get such a response, so much to look forward too.

l bought a 

aa866ce41343ffedcb5c57aaeff358ab.jpg
ELECTROLUX Coffee Maker ECM3505 EasySense and a Bean Grinder Burr Espresso Grinding Machine.
Nothing special as i'm on a budget but a good start l hope.
l do drink it Black no sugar .
Cheers 
Keep it going

This is an ordinary coffee machine with filter, not an espresso machine . 

So for a normal cup of black Americano you should select a mix of Robusta/Arabica beans instead of 100% Arabica beans. 

The taste can also be bitter depending on how fast the filter works. 

But that depends also on the roast , I would suggest medium to light roast. 

56 minutes ago, atyclb said:
2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

tons of such coffeev4 sale in vietnam. lotte mart has lots

They call it "weasel coffee" but it is processed using a chemical to imitate what the digestive system is supposed to, uh, do. so NO it is not real weasel coffee. Just FYI

One of my favorite Soprano scenes......Paulie in the coffee shop

I've been making my 3-4 cups of coffee/day in a moka pot......while the coffee is on the gas stove, my cup of fresh milk and a bit of sugar goes into the microwave for 50 seconds.  Then I spin it up with a whisk between the palms of my hands......and coffee is ready at the same time.  When I buy some beans that don't quite fit my taste, I can usually adjust the amount of coffee in the moka pot to suit me just fine.  l

21 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

They call it "weasel coffee" but it is processed using a chemical to imitate what the digestive system is supposed to, uh, do. so NO it is not real weasel coffee. Just FYI

Thanks. I don't think that will affect my daughter-in-law's opinion. The cafe she works at in Australia ran out of it very rapidly due to demand.

15 hours ago, atyclb said:

decades of testing & trial/error conclude the best all around brew pressure is 9 bar. the most expensive high end pro machines reaching 15 to 20k usd are set to 9 bar.  espresso wont taste better at 19 bars

Very true. You need around 15 bars to reach the optimal extraction pressure of 9 bars. Anything more than 15 bars is superfluous . If you paid more because the sales person told you that more bars was better, then you got taken!

On 11/26/2018 at 3:37 PM, Tchooptip said:

Sorry I could have shown the links for the coffee

https://www.lazada.co.th/-i252369732-s389398981.html?spm=a2o4m.order_list.detail_image..7b0561087TGOrr&urlFlag=true&mp=1

https://www.lazada.co.th/-i224136679-s342601323.html?spm=a2o4m.order_list.detail_image..7b056108iUO7Hx&urlFlag=true&mp=1

I bought this machine not long because ago,  it has two boilers, one for the coffee's water one for the vapour so no need to wait for between coffes so it has  1400 w X 2

IMG_3201.jpeg

Yesterday I gave the link for the coffee I buy in Lazada, its Thai coffee, at a very reasonable price. one, by the way, is only 144 ฿ a 250g a pack of Arabica 100%, so 576฿ for a kilo But...some posters almost laughed about Thai coffee being good coffee, so yesterday since I was in  BigC, curious,  I bought a French  brand (912 ฿ a kilo) name "Bouquet d'arômes" a mix of: Colombia Medellin Excelso/Guatemala Hard Bean/Ethiopia Sidamo, this coffee no less than recommended by the Michelin's 3 stars world-famous chef Troisgros with his picture on the pack, I ground it this mourning...conclusion :cheesy:

The Thai coffee I buy in Lazada is far better, no comparison possible but since I put milk and sugar, being not stubborn I made another one, strong and black, the Thai coffee is better no comparison at all as far as aroma is a concern by only smelling them. Make no mistake I did not write those line to say Thai coffee is the best, of course not, but simply he holds his rank for sure without demerit. At least the ones I buy on Lazada.

9 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Yesterday I gave the link for the coffee I buy in Lazada, its Thai coffee, at a very reasonable price. one, by the way, is only 144 ฿ a 250g a pack of Arabica 100%, so 576฿ for a kilo But...some posters almost laughed about Thai coffee being good coffee, so yesterday since I was in  BigC, curious,  I bought a French  brand (912 ฿ a kilo) name "Bouquet d'arômes" a mix of: Colombia Medellin Excelso/Guatemala Hard Bean/Ethiopia Sidamo, this coffee no less than recommended by the Michelin's 3 stars world-famous chef Troisgros with his picture on the pack, I ground it this mourning...conclusion :cheesy:

The Thai coffee I buy in Lazada is far better, no comparison possible but since I put milk and sugar, being not stubborn I made another one, strong and black, the Thai coffee is better no comparison at all as far as aroma is a concern by only smelling them. Make no mistake I did not write those line to say Thai coffee is the best, of course not, but simply he holds his rank for sure without demerit. At least the ones I buy on Lazada.

nice machine. dual thermoblock. grinder interesting. post a pic of crema on shot.

IMG_0001.jpg
When espresso machines first appeared it was called schiuma or “scum”. CREMA sounds better. It is mostly fine bubbles but contains minute coffee grounds and emulsified oils. A nice crema layer is a good sign you machine develops sufficient bars and it a tasty part of the coffee experience, and why espresso needs to be consumed quickly.

18 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Sorry, but what do you mean exactly by crema on shot? 

Espresso crema, carbon dioxide, and coffee oils

Roasted beans are ‘fresh’ when they still generate or emit a high concentration of CO2 or carbon dioxide.

The process of grinding beans further releases this element, and it is what later interacts with other elements in the brewing process.

With espresso brewing, carbon dioxide coming off the compacted fresh grounds meeting with hot, pressurized water cause the trademark ‘bubbles’ to form.

The phenomenon is quite similar to what happens when you pour a bottle of Guinness beer.

While espresso crema may look a lot like the foam you see when your soda bubbles up, a closer look will show you the big difference.

The bubbles are finer, and often crema can even be thick enough to support a spoonful of sugar.

What makes espresso crema’s different and essential to a great cup of espresso, is that it is also largely a result of emulsification of natural oils, sugars, and compounds like melanoidin found in abundance in fresh coffee grounds. 

Best crema needs correct grind setting, tamp, and high crema coffee. Arabica produces less than robusta.

crema.jpg

1 minute ago, atyclb said:

Espresso crema, carbon dioxide, and coffee oils

Roasted beans are ‘fresh’ when they still generate or emit a high concentration of CO2 or carbon dioxide.

The process of grinding beans further releases this element, and it is what later interacts with other elements in the brewing process.

With espresso brewing, carbon dioxide coming off the compacted fresh grounds meeting with hot, pressurized water cause the trademark ‘bubbles’ to form.

The phenomenon is quite similar to what happens when you pour a bottle of Guinness beer.

While espresso crema may look a lot like the foam you see when your soda bubbles up, a closer look will show you the big difference.

The bubbles are finer, and often crema can even be thick enough to support a spoonful of sugar.

What makes espresso crema’s different and essential to a great cup of espresso, is that it is also largely a result of emulsification of natural oils, sugars, and compounds like melanoidin found in abundance in fresh coffee grounds. 

Best crema needs correct grind setting,btamp pressure, and high crema coffee. Arabica produces less than robusta.

crema.webp

OK I understand, I knew already the cream on top is important as far as the quality is concerned, but very interesting post of you anyway :thumbsup:, when I bought this machine in Home Pro I was impressed by the beautifull cream, and yes I have a lot of cream on top with this coffee I buy on Lazada.

On the other hand I almost never made real "expresso" but in a medium cup with little milk and sugar. 

"Arabica produces less than robusta". I have learn something ... I do not like Robusta at all, because it gives me the shakes and also rapid heart beats so its a no-no for me.

Archived