Coffee Beans

ellathai

5 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

OK I understand, I knew already the cream on top is important as far as the quality is concerned, but very interesting post of you anyway :thumbsup:, when I bought this machine in Home Pro I was impressed by the beautifull cream, and yes I have a lot of cream on top with this coffee I buy on Lazada.

On the other hand I almost never made real "expresso" but in a medium cup with little milk and sugar. 

"Arabica produces less than robusta". I have learn something ... I do not like Robusta at all, because it gives me the shakes and also rapid heart beats so its a no-no for me.

few coffee aficionados drink 100% robusta, instead some italian roasters blend a % of it to mainly arabica. this produces nice crema and also taste. robusta has higher caffeine content then arabica

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, atyclb said:

Espresso crema, carbon dioxide, and coffee oils

Roasted beans are ‘fresh’ when they still generate or emit a high concentration of CO2 or carbon dioxide.

The process of grinding beans further releases this element, and it is what later interacts with other elements in the brewing process.

With espresso brewing, carbon dioxide coming off the compacted fresh grounds meeting with hot, pressurized water cause the trademark ‘bubbles’ to form.

The phenomenon is quite similar to what happens when you pour a bottle of Guinness beer.

While espresso crema may look a lot like the foam you see when your soda bubbles up, a closer look will show you the big difference.

The bubbles are finer, and often crema can even be thick enough to support a spoonful of sugar.

What makes espresso crema’s different and essential to a great cup of espresso, is that it is also largely a result of emulsification of natural oils, sugars, and compounds like melanoidin found in abundance in fresh coffee grounds. 

Best crema needs correct grind setting, tamp, and high crema coffee. Arabica produces less than robusta.

crema.jpg

Never ever have I seen such a cream. I mean so thick, is it for a coffee championship somewhere? LOl I will try to make a picture tomorrow but in amateur category :smile: for I cannot compete with this one. 

15 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Never ever have I seen such a cream. I mean so thick, is it for a coffee championship somewhere? LOl I will try to make a picture tomorrow but in amateur category :smile: for I cannot compete with this one. 

It is done with the one cup's filter, not the two cup's one and this cup is bigger than for a cappuccino so maybe not enough coffee dosage for a real amateur, but as far as I'me concern it's perfect:smile: 

and certainly far better than not long time ago with the three in one my we used to buy... even though certain poster found it easier :tongue:  

IMG_3205.jpeg

On 11/27/2018 at 6:18 PM, balo said:

This is an ordinary coffee machine with filter, not an espresso machine . 

So for a normal cup of black Americano you should select a mix of Robusta/Arabica beans instead of 100% Arabica beans. 

The taste can also be bitter depending on how fast the filter works. 

But that depends also on the roast , I would suggest medium to light roast. 

Some people prefer this type of filtered coffee especially those drinking coffee by litres, of course, I'me joking with "by litres" but not so much, some people could drink 2 cups in a row, it is half a litre, doing that with expresso mode would probably give a good shaking hands and even palpitation :smile: at least for sure to me. So I would say maybe one cannot say cappuccino machine is better or filter machine is not so good it's two totally different products that make two different beverages both with coffee powder.

By the way it's crema not cream.  No cream in crema.  The pressurized coffee/espresso maker is the evolution of the coffee making machines. 

The machines get better every year.  It is like a jet passenger plane as opposed to a prop one.  I guess there are still prop passenger planes and folks who like to fly them too. 

4 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

It is done with the one cup's filter, not the two cup's one and this cup is bigger than for a cappuccino so maybe not enough coffee dosage for a real amateur, but as far as I'me concern it's perfect:smile: 

and certainly far better than not long time ago with the three in one my we used to buy... even though certain poster found it easier :tongue:  

IMG_3205.jpeg

try tamping harder. if not better change grinder setting to finer until u get better crema.

5 minutes ago, atyclb said:

try tamping harder. if not better change grinder setting to finer until u get better crema.

Tamping harder, impossible! I would have like a finer grind, good guess of you, but I am already on number 1 and when I have tried a little finer the grinder stalled, it has only one hundred watts, by the way, it is why I try tamping with all my strength to compensate. I was almost  sure the coffee is not fine enough thanks to looking at the pressure gauge, when my wife makes a coffee the gauge hardly move, when I do and  press like a mad, so more than the 20 kilos advised everywhere, I reach 8/10 bars with difficulty, but the coffee comes slowly so it is not completely bad but it could be better, I can see you know the subject, I am a perfectionist, and that is impossible or at least very hard to understand by most Thai people my wife included :smile:

I will try (secretly LOL) to grind the powder a second-time but thinner maybe it will be easier for the grinder?

3 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Tamping harder, impossible! I would have like a finer grind, good guess of you, but I am already on number 1 and when I have tried a little finer the grinder stalled, it has only one hundred watts, by the way, it is why I try tamping with all my strength to compensate. I was almost  sure the coffee is not fine enough thanks to looking at the pressure gauge, when my wife makes a coffee the gauge hardly move, when I do and  press like a mad, so more than the 20 kilos advised everywhere, I reach 8/10 bars with difficulty, but the coffee comes slowly so it is not completely bad but it could be better, I can see you know the subject, I am a perfectionist, and that is impossible or at least very hard to understand by most Thai people my wife included :smile:

I will try (secretly LOL) to grind the powder a second-time but thinner maybe it will be easier for the grinder?

i see 3 issues with your crema. # too pale  # scant amount   # bubbles

do a easy test. use the 2 shot coffee basket and see if anything changes.

it may be grinder cannot produce a fine enough result. grinders can have mechanical stops that prevent a finer grind. many modify grinder by removing such stop if applicable. grinder does not appear designed for espresso. are u in bkk?

40 minutes ago, atyclb said:

i see 3 issues with your crema. # too pale  # scant amount   # bubbles

do a easy test. use the 2 shot coffee basket and see if anything changes.

it may be grinder cannot produce a fine enough result. grinders can have mechanical stops that prevent a finer grind. many modify grinder by removing such stop if applicable. grinder does not appear designed for espresso. are u in bkk?

No, I am not in Bkk I'm in Samui. This grinder was sold to me by the seller of the espresso machine it's the same brand. I will open it to have a look when my wife is not in the house, lol because she is absolutely satisfied and I do not want to upset her if she believes that I am not happy with that, because it was mostly her who wanted a machine but she thought I would buy a smaller, cheaper one, this one I paid 26 000 ฿ with the grinder. If the ""problem"" is grinding finer I will find a solution, mechanically speaking I always find a solution my ex-wife used to told everyone there is nothing my husband cannot repair. ???? Here, for instance, a few people asked me why on earth have you s many tools? Because I like to be able to do everything by myself. :biggrin:

I only paid €300 for my espresso machine I brought with me from Europe and it still works perfect after 6 years.  It comes with a built-in grinder.

I clean it every month to keep the good taste of coffee. 

HD8745_21-IMS-en_SG?$jpglarge$&wid=1250

14 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

No, I am not in Bkk I'm in Samui. This grinder was sold to me by the seller of the espresso machine it's the same brand. I will open it to have a look when my wife is not in the house, lol because she is absolutely satisfied and I do not want to upset her if she believes that I am not happy with that, because it was mostly her who wanted a machine but she thought I would buy a smaller, cheaper one, this one I paid 26 000 ฿ with the grinder. If the ""problem"" is grinding finer I will find a solution, mechanically speaking I always find a solution my ex-wife used to told everyone there is nothing my husband cannot repair. ???? Here, for instance, a few people asked me why on earth have you s many tools? Because I like to be able to do everything by myself. :biggrin:

try progressive tamping. little coffee tamp then put more in and tamp again. repeat but dont overfill or u cannot lock portafilter.

11 hours ago, balo said:

I only paid €300 for my espresso machine I brought with me from Europe and it still works perfect after 6 years.  It comes with a built-in grinder.

I clean it every month to keep the good taste of coffee. 

HD8745_21-IMS-en_SG?$jpglarge$&wid=1250

Did you bring it in your luggage in the plane?  

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

try progressive tamping. little coffee tamp then put more in and tamp again. repeat but dont overfill or u cannot lock portafilter.

This morning I grind a second time the already ground powder at the thinness possible, first the powder did not go down, my wife, by the way, told me not working it cannot work I told you, it had to work it was only the powder not heavy enough so I lifted the machine from 2/3 inch by letting it fall gently several times, logically the powder passed... and this time testing between the fingers it had the finesse of the flour, no comparison at all!  I took the two cup filter following your advice (I always follow the advice of people knowing better than I lol) it had no more cream on top but the cream was darker for sure :thumbsup: I have no picture for I drank it right away out of curiosity:smile: Coffee was better testier I should say, I have been on a few websites about cappuccino, it seems much more technical than the average citizen would think, by the way, some people would probably say why such a bore for a cup of coffee thinking its ridiculous, on the other hand, other people will take it like a game to win.

By the way, it seems you know the subject very well ?? Yes it's a question :whistling: 

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

This morning I grind a second time the already ground powder at the thinness possible, first the powder did not go down, my wife, by the way, told me not working it cannot work I told you, it had to work it was only the powder not heavy enough so I lifted the machine from 2/3 inch by letting it fall gently several times, logically the powder passed... and this time testing between the fingers it had the finesse of the flour, no comparison at all!  I took the two cup filter following your advice (I always follow the advice of people knowing better than I lol) it had no more cream on top but the cream was darker for sure :thumbsup: I have no picture for I drank it right away out of curiosity:smile: Coffee was better testier I should say, I have been on a few websites about cappuccino, it seems much more technical than the average citizen would think, by the way, some people would probably say why such a bore for a cup of coffee thinking its ridiculous, on the other hand, other people will take it like a game to win.

By the way, it seems you know the subject very well ?? Yes it's a question :whistling: 

a hobby that went too far. just learning and trial and error. fun.  i have rebuilt espresso machines as well as rebuilding rotary pumps in them (yours has a vibration pump) done home roasting too.

could be you have low crema beans.  even some famous and expensive beans yield low crema notably lavazza.

regrinding ground coffee can jam the grinder burrs. the way i have avoided jamming is to slowly pour ground coffee into grinder while burrs are spinning. most grinders designed to grind beans only.

20 hours ago, atyclb said:

a hobby that went too far. just learning and trial and error. fun.  i have rebuilt espresso machines as well as rebuilding rotary pumps in them (yours has a vibration pump) done home roasting too.

could be you have low crema beans.  even some famous and expensive beans yield low crema notably lavazza.

regrinding ground coffee can jam the grinder burrs. the way i have avoided jamming is to slowly pour ground coffee into grinder while burrs are spinning. most grinders designed to grind beans only.

I take another brand of coffee bought in Lazada too but more expensive... no more jamming and the coffee powder is as fine as flour so the pressure was also higher on the gauge. The cream almost the same quantity only little more brownish instead of cream colour.

I found another grinder on Lazada with 350 w instead of 100, I was ready to buy it when I did this try with this other coffee brand so maybe I will wait for a little, but maybe I will buy it anyway and give the old one to my SIL because 100w is not very strong at least not compared with 350w.

(yours has a vibration pump) ? good not good? I hesitated to buy an Italian brand...but my wife found this one more beautiful ...since I have an easy character ???? I bought this one. 

9 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

I take another brand of coffee bought in Lazada too but more expensive... no more jamming and the coffee powder is as fine as flour so the pressure was also higher on the gauge. The cream almost the same quantity only little more brownish instead of cream colour.

I found another grinder on Lazada with 350 w instead of 100, I was ready to buy it when I did this try with this other coffee brand so maybe I will wait for a little, but maybe I will buy it anyway and give the old one to my SIL because 100w is not very strong at least not compared with 350w.

(yours has a vibration pump) ? good not good? I hesitated to buy an Italian brand...but my wife found this one more beautiful ...since I have an easy character ???? I bought this one. 

without coffee or portafilter send brew temp water into plastic cup. check water temp in cup. how many degrees?

vibe pump is fine 

without coffee or portafilter send brew temp water into plastic cup. check water temp in cup. how many degrees?

vibe pump is fine 

I must first find a thermometer, the one in my living room being no good for the purpose, I have not found any in Tesco I will look in Macro next time. 

I must first find a thermometer, the one in my living room being no good for the purpose, I have not found any in Tesco I will look in Macro next time. 

dual thermoblock machines arevrenowned to have issues. sunbeam 7000 is famous for this. suspectvthe internals of your machine arevsimilar..

hope it is just a grind issue. small adjustment in grind make a big difference when fine tuning espresso shot.

glance through https://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-equipment-midrange-500-1500/46765-sunbeam-em7000-coffee-pressure-gauge.html

I had the same problem with my Rancilio machine; the grind was just too coarse with the several grinders I tried and the resulting coffee looked like brewed American and tasted just as awful. Only when I bought a Rancilio grinder was I able to get the grind fine enough to produce a proper espresso with crema. I agree with the post about graduated tamping/filling of the grind cup. That works the best for me, too. My Rancilio has a special module which you have to attach after you receive it (adds 250 euros to the cost). It regulates temperature and the amount of water used and is completely programmable. It gives an initial 2-second burst of water to dampen and saturate the dry grind, then pauses for 1.5 seconds before dosing 24 seconds of continual water to make the coffee. The initial spurt helps in that the water doesn't run down the sides of the compacted grind. Because it's already been dampened, it goes down through all of the grinds, resulting in more flavor.

3 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

I had the same problem with my Rancilio machine; the grind was just too coarse with the several grinders I tried and the resulting coffee looked like brewed American and tasted just as awful. Only when I bought a Rancilio grinder was I able to get the grind fine enough to produce a proper espresso with crema. I agree with the post about graduated tamping/filling of the grind cup. That works the best for me, too. My Rancilio has a special module which you have to attach after you receive it (adds 250 euros to the cost). It regulates temperature and the amount of water used and is completely programmable. It gives an initial 2-second burst of water to dampen and saturate the dry grind, then pauses for 1.5 seconds before dosing 24 seconds of continual water to make the coffee. The initial spurt helps in that the water doesn't run down the sides of the compacted grind. Because it's already been dampened, it goes down through all of the grinds, resulting in more flavor.

"It gives an initial 2-second burst of water to dampen and saturate the dry grind, then pauses for 1.5 seconds before dosing 24 seconds of continual water to make the coffee"

Thanks to your answer my dear GalaxyMan :jap: I thought why not do that too, by hand if the machine does not do it automatically? So I open the water for the coffee for two seconds only, nothing comes out, I wait for a few seconds then make the coffee like usual, the cream is browner, and more pressure reading on the gauge. Still following what you said I will also order a stronger grinder as I said 100w most probably not enough for grinding very very fine. And thank you to atyclb for his clever answers/advice. One of the great qualities of TV is that it is not only news about Thailand but a lot of responses from members to members I was looking for a good veterinarian I had the answer on TV. I do not talk about immigration issues where Ubonjoe is a living encyclopedia. So if one day someone tells me your coffee is delicious I will answer yes it's thanks to ThaiVisa...not sure it will be understand :biggrin: 

I also would like to apologize to OP because yes we are still talking about making coffee, But I am afraid even if one learns interesting things, his subject from the beginning is somewhat diverted.  

46 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

"It gives an initial 2-second burst of water to dampen and saturate the dry grind, then pauses for 1.5 seconds before dosing 24 seconds of continual water to make the coffee"

Thanks to your answer my dear GalaxyMan :jap: I thought why not do that too, by hand if the machine does not do it automatically? So I open the water for the coffee for two seconds only, nothing comes out, I wait for a few seconds then make the coffee like usual, the cream is browner, and more pressure reading on the gauge. Still following what you said I will also order a stronger grinder as I said 100w most probably not enough for grinding very very fine. And thank you to atyclb for his clever answers/advice. One of the great qualities of TV is that it is not only news about Thailand but a lot of responses from members to members I was looking for a good veterinarian I had the answer on TV. I do not talk about immigration issues where Ubonjoe is a living encyclopedia. So if one day someone tells me your coffee is delicious I will answer yes it's thanks to ThaiVisa...not sure it will be understand :biggrin: 

I also would like to apologize to OP because yes we are still talking about making coffee, But I am afraid even if one learns interesting things, his subject from the beginning is somewhat diverted.  

wattage alone does not mean a grinder will suit your purpose and some highly rated ones just have 120 watts although most espresso grinders re 180 and above.

putting a little wate on the coffee before pulling the shot (preinfusion) in theory is meant to level the puck and make a more even pour.  tons of machines make great shots without preinfusion. i tried it on my la spaziale s1 vivaldi and there was no difference in shots.

dual thermoblock already has what is supposed to be good temp control as it has one heater dedicated to coffee and the other for steam. rancilio can benefit from a fancy temp controller because it uses a less accurate system called heat exchange. tons of rancilios make great shots without pid temp control.

another variable is the use of pressurized coffee baskets vs normal baskets. pressurized ones can help make a better espresso despite a suboptimal grind and tamp.

25 minutes ago, atyclb said:

wattage alone does not mean a grinder will suit your purpose and some highly rated ones just have 120 watts although most espresso grinders re 180 and above.

putting a little wate on the coffee before pulling the shot (preinfusion) in theory is meant to level the puck and make a more even pour.  tons of machines make great shots without preinfusion. i tried it on my la spaziale s1 vivaldi and there was no difference in shots.

dual thermoblock already has what is supposed to be good temp control as it has one heater dedicated to coffee and the other for steam. rancilio can benefit from a fancy temp controller because it uses a less accurate system called heat exchange. tons of rancilios make great shots without pid temp control.

another variable is the use of pressurized coffee baskets vs normal baskets. pressurized ones can help make a better espresso despite a suboptimal grind and tamp.

Gaggia makes an excellent expresso/coffee machine. One that I really liked was the fully automatic Syncrony Logic machine. It will grind to the fineness you select, automatically tamp, water level is adjustable and the machine automatically clears the grounds to a tray on the side. Best bang for the buck and very convenient. I see someone is selling one like new for a good price on Craigslist. https://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/app/d/gaggia-coffee-machine-coffee/6764304883.html

below video is your minimex machine pulling a very nice shot of espresso.  note the grinder is not the style you have.  your grinder seems to be the kind used to grind customer beans at a supermarket to a fineness suited for other than espresso.

Archived