Aussie tourist robbed at gunpoint after dumped by Phuket taxi driver

webfact

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, shaurene said:

chrisisricis

21 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

What does this mean please. I do not like to see a word I do not know so I googled it. Nothing!

18 minutes ago, quandow said:

It's a synonym for covfeve.

18 minutes ago, hellohello123 said:

christmas gymanstics?

christian gymnastics?

crisis gymnastics?

crisis sriracha?

circumcise

I have been approached by a Thai photographer hired by TAT, to participate in the follow up story of how a kind taxi driver returns the 3 million in gold bullion I carelessly left on the back seat of his cab.  I hope I get to keep it after the photo shoot ????

Yep, sounds to me like Mr White is making an insurance claim, after all, what Ozzie wearing shorts carries 10,000 baht in cash on him, especially at 19 years of age and in the early hours of the morning after a night out.

Those of us that have money, know that we don't carry that kind of cash on us at anytime of the day in any country, especially in Thailand.

Sounds to me he made an argument with the driver because he had no cash, was pissed, and the driver pulled over for him to fark off.

No doubt the truth will prevail and we will see another tourist trying to shit on Thai's through making a claim on insurance, why else would he call the cops, to get the report for the insurer of course.

Place your bets now !

8 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yep, sounds to me like Mr White is making an insurance claim, after all, what Ozzie wearing shorts carries 10,000 baht in cash on him, especially at 19 years of age and in the early hours of the morning after a night out.

Those of us that have money, know that we don't carry that kind of cash on us at anytime of the day in any country, especially in Thailand.

Sounds to me he made an argument with the driver because he had no cash, was pissed, and the driver pulled over for him to fark off.

No doubt the truth will prevail and we will see another tourist trying to shit on Thai's through making a claim on insurance, why else would he call the cops, to get the report for the insurer of course.

Place your bets now !

His story may be true!!!  But it could very well be as you say.  Mind you the owner of my GH runs around with a hell of a lot more money than that.

Apparently, the picture was taken when he was making a report at the Thalang Police Station at 4pm.  Considering the station is in a township about 5ks from the beach, his attire is somewhat inappropriate even for a Queenslander. (I rarely don a shirt at home, but always wear one when venturing out).

Perhaps I'm too suspicious about these stories, but insurance scam immediately entered my mind, although this robbery scenario seems more believable than most. 

Also, as rich as we are, we Phuketians rarely have (exactly) 10,000 on us at 3am after a night out.

I think the word the drunken rice field warrior was trying to say earlier was criticize.

Owl Woman from TVF

2 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Perhaps I'm too suspicious about these stories, but insurance scam immediately entered my mind, although this robbery scenario seems more believable than most. 

For me, the robbery at gunpoint is the part that rings alarm bells, I cant recall a tourist ever being robbed at gunpoint in the last 20 years, anywhere in Thailand.

58 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

59 minutes ago, DoctorG said:
1 hour ago, shaurene said:

chrisisricis

What does this mean please. I do not like to see a word I do not know so I googled it. Nothing!

At a guess 'Criticize'   

13 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

How about "criticise"?  Try googling that and you will be well informed and can sleep happily. ????

I thought it might be criticise but the spelling was so far out that I was hoping to learn a fantastic new word that I could drop into a conversation. ????

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

For me, the robbery at gunpoint is the part that rings alarm bells, I cant recall a tourist ever being robbed at gunpoint in the last 20 years, anywhere in Thailand.

If I could be bothered researching I could probably find a few cases, but to clarify, I was referring more to the part of the story about arguing with the taxi driver and being dumped on the road side. 

I wonder if the police have checked his room yet to see if his iPhone is really missing.

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Look like they robbed him of his clothing as well, or this is how get around in his home country too...

On holiday at the beach. Yeah, shame on him for not being in a jacket and tie. Lighten up Francis.

7 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

I thought it might be criticise but the spelling was so far out that I was hoping to learn a fantastic new word that I could drop into a conversation. ????

An earlier poster gave you covfeve.

A great word and very useful on twitter.

11 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

There was a case, about a year back, also in Phuket of a Brit guy claiming he had been mugged at gun point. And, yes, that was a completely bogus claim.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1010077-british-man-mugged-at-gunpoint-and-left-for-dead-on-first-day-of-birthday-trip-with-wife-to-thailand/

Really entertaining story!! Chances are that this story will be equally entertaining when the truth is revealed.

1 hour ago, hellohello123 said:

if im going to a dubai, im going to research the drinking laws and dress habits for men, and then I will make my decision,

so many foreigners, farang or not, dont even research the basics and hop onto a plane,

if this guy gets ridiculed for his lack of clothes, then its completely justified and his fault

Quite common in Phuket,guess you been to Dubai but not here,maybe ?

After reading 4 pages on this topic, I've learned that it is perfectly ok to rob anyone at gunpoint if they are:

1. Carrying 10,000 baht or more, OR

2. Not wearing a shirt or at least not dressed up to a high standard, OR

3. They are walking around on the streets at night time. OR

4. Complains about Taxis not using meters.

That's according to the messed up logic of the TV forum members here. 

Stupid me for thinking it was a crime.

5 minutes ago, bkkgriz said:

On holiday at the beach. Yeah, shame on him for not being in a jacket and tie. Lighten up Francis.

No shirt is fine for a beach holiday but not usually appropriate for being out in the early hours (a taxi ride from his hotel) or visiting a police station.

3 minutes ago, dabhand said:

There was a case, about a year back, also in Phuket of a Brit guy claiming he had been mugged at gun point. And, yes, that was a completely bogus claim.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1010077-british-man-mugged-at-gunpoint-and-left-for-dead-on-first-day-of-birthday-trip-with-wife-to-thailand/

Really entertaining story!! Chances are that this story will be equally entertaining when the truth is revealed.

Yes, was thinking about the same story. I recall at the time people were suspicious about the "robbed at gunpoint" aspect of that story, one of the first things that didnt ring true. 

20 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

So all those stories plastered around the planet about JetSki operators in Phuket and Pattaya pointing very large handguns at customers are all made up?

“robbed at gunpoint” is probable the most real part of the story. 

8 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

After reading 4 pages on this topic, I've learned that it is perfectly ok to rob anyone at gunpoint if they are:

1. Carrying 10,000 baht or more, OR

2. Not wearing a shirt or at least not dressed up to a high standard, OR

3. They are walking around on the streets at night time. OR

4. Complains about Taxis not using meters.

That's according to the messed up logic of the TV forum members here. 

Stupid me for thinking it was a crime.

If you really were a Time Traveller you could go forward a few days and see if you are stupid or just a sarcastic t.....!

The lowest of the low Thai taxi drivers & social media will put Thailand at the top of the "don't visit list" soon... T.A.T will be putting a spin on this one sometime this week with the old "taxi driver" returns lost money to foreigner !!!!

There must be a way of checking all taxi drivers use their meters on every journey?

4 minutes ago, Crustyhk said:

So all those stories plastered around the planet about JetSki operators in Phuket and Pattaya pointing very large handguns at customers are all made up?

I wonder what ever happened to JJ.

5 minutes ago, Crustyhk said:

Can you find me one of these jet ski operators pulling guns stories ? In fact, any story about a tourist being robbed at gunpoint will do.

16 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The lowest of the low Thai taxi drivers & social media will put Thailand at the top of the "don't visit list" soon... T.A.T will be putting a spin on this one sometime this week with the old "taxi driver" returns lost money to foreigner !!!!

There must be a way of checking all taxi drivers use their meters on every journey?

As stated in the linked story, it was a green plated hire car not a taxi, THEY DONT HAVE METERS !!!!

Yes, it would be great if taxi's used their meter but nothing to do with this story.

The Australian guy appears to be claiming an argument about a meter in a car that doesn't have one, one of the aspects of the story that doesn't ring true..

Archived