Aussie tourist robbed at gunpoint after dumped by Phuket taxi driver

webfact

19 minutes ago, Pete1980 said:

What are worth?

I will toss you for it.

BTW i am in retirement, i did plan for it and am not on welfare/the pension. And I prefer 5, not 4.

Lets' just say if I did nothing for then next 43 years I could survive a very comfortable life here in Thailand.

That said, I won't toss you, not a gambling man, although do invest heavily in the ASX which makes the tax free returns here worth living here.

Good luck to you, 5 is better than 4, but I like to keep my feet on the ground, to remind me where I came from as opposed to beating my chest.....lol

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, car720 said:

this sort of dress is usually reserved for formal occassions in Innisfail.  :cheesy::cheesy:

My sister lives in QL. Her husband said he was taking her to a dressing down party, considering the lack of fashion consciousness and the usual sloppy casual attire that everyone seemed to wear in her area she asked how that was even possible.

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Fortunately, for all of us, this type of event is rare here. I just do not hear about alot of violent crimes against foreigners, like in many other countries, such as the PI, and Cambodia. Hopefully, it will stay that way. 

Hope they catch the goons who did this. And hope they are able to find a judge willing to lock them up. Not an easy thing to find. 

No Thai goons only an Aussie one...………….

20 minutes ago, Cheops said:

My BIL was robbed at gunpoint about 10 years ago in Bangkok (at 5am when he went out for a walk, because he couldn't sleep) on a main road (no dark alley). You don't hear it often in Thailand but it does certainly happen. 

In this case he wasn't robbed after all, but gunpoint robbings do happen.

I doubt your BIL story. If he just went out for a quick walk why would he take much with him. Also about “10 years ago “ is hardly worth mentioning and on Thai Visa forum I have found that usually means 1999 or sometime before that. So now there are 2 more urban myth reports from Phuket and Bangkok 20 odd years ago. 

1 hour ago, Pete1980 said:

The kid is in Phuket, hardly a cheap charlie place and I doubt an aussie would bother doing an insurance claim for petty change.

We come from the land of plenty.

Latest news in, not one to rub salt in ones wounds, but I will say that I was on the money !

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/drunken-aussie-tourist-admits-he-wasnt-robbed-at-gun-point-in-phuket

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yep, sounds to me like Mr White is making an insurance claim, after all, what Ozzie wearing shorts carries 10,000 baht in cash on him, especially at 19 years of age and in the early hours of the morning after a night out.

Those of us that have money, know that we don't carry that kind of cash on us at anytime of the day in any country, especially in Thailand.

Sounds to me he made an argument with the driver because he had no cash, was pissed, and the driver pulled over for him to fark off.

No doubt the truth will prevail and we will see another tourist trying to shit on Thai's through making a claim on insurance, why else would he call the cops, to get the report for the insurer of course.

Place your bets now !

The jury has delivered its verdict: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/drunken-aussie-tourist-admits-he-wasnt-robbed-at-gun-point-in-phuket

I would like to collect now ????

Here we go again.

Most of the allegations of crimes reported on this site turn out to be fabricated, but almost everyone on Thaivisa takes them as being true because they want to hear negative stories about the country.

And if you look at this thread tomorrow, you will no doubt see people continuing to hope that the perpetrators will be caught and punished...

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Australians are not rich, they are one of the highest taxed countries in the world, are cash strapped and mortgaged to the hilt, with a lot of Xpats living here on the pension, just getting through,

Of course Australians are "not rich", they are only 5th on the list of countries with highest disposable income (money available after tax) in the world. :

5 Countries With the Most Money Per Capita | Investopedia

Please everybody, put you hands in your pockets for the poor Australians (Gofundme page under construction) and their poverty stricken mates in Norway and Switzerland.

Blimey, talk about "whinging".

52 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I don't deny the highly taxed statement, and there are many struggling to survive on the scraps thrown to them by the pollies and their masters, but on several  indicators Australia is one of the richest countries of all time.

Australia is the second-wealthiest nation in terms of wealth per adult, after Switzerland,  in 2018 it overtook Switzerland and it became the country with the largest median wealth per adult.

More here:  https://evatt.org.au/news/australia-wealthy-country.html

Incidentally, I'm another living on my own resources without applying for the OAP.

I prefer to use the per capita charts as you will see the rankings at 11 and 20: https://statisticstimes.com/economy/projected-world-gdp-capita-ranking.php

Utilising our own resources means we are less dependent and can prosper if we invest it wisely as opposed to being on the OAP and finding it declining when the $ is dropping and the cost of living in Thailand is on the up, not talking street food either.

14 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Of course Australians are "not rich", they are only 5th on the list of countries with highest disposable income (money available after tax) in the world. :

5 Countries With the Most Money Per Capita | Investopedia

Please everybody, put you hands in your pockets for the poor Australians (Gofundme page under construction) and their poverty stricken mates in Norway and Switzerland.

Blimey, talk about "whinging".

Who's winging, I made a statement saying it's all borrowed money, to add the link you provided is 2 years old, the latest link will show you they are ranked 11th and 20th on the charts: https://statisticstimes.com/economy/projected-world-gdp-capita-ranking.php

20 minutes ago, ponder said:

Here we go again.

Most of the allegations of crimes reported on this site turn out to be fabricated, but almost everyone on Thaivisa takes them as being true because they want to hear negative stories about the country.

And if you look at this thread tomorrow, you will no doubt see people continuing to hope that the perpetrators will be caught and punished...

Latest story is he was bull $hitting as most of us with half a brain knew

5 hours ago, zyphodb said:

Ha, TV is incredible, here you have an Auzzie robbed at gunpoint by a scumbag taxi driver & his mates, & all the TV wags can do is moan about him not having a shirt on...

Words fail me ???? 

Because the Aussie is the scumbag instead of the Thais: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/drunken-aussie-tourist-admits-he-wasnt-robbed-at-gun-point-in-phuket?fbclid=IwAR3P_mr3gNOz8T6vau2695GSrAg8wqGv-1x-YAPCSfy3Sg-S4qfZsNIJ0E4

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Look like they robbed him of his clothing as well, or this is how get around in his home country too...

Go visit Australia, then you will know... maybe you can learn something, rather than your blinkered view. We see many Thais dress the same way, do you pick on them as well, or are you so blind.

The financial debate could be best continued in an appropriate thread.

This was about another idiot making stupid claims of theft. His story had so many holes that many forum members saw through them (as Peter stated many times, green plated taxis don't have meters). Also, the amount of money he claimed to have been carrying didn't ring true.

I guess the naive believers will now offer apologies for their sarcastic and sometimes nasty remarks to those who doubted the story from the beginning.  

1 hour ago, cleverman said:

He is on holidays on a tropical island. But I agree, he should dress the same as the English do when they go to the beach back home, long pants,shirt and tie,scarf. I've got pics I took on Redcar beach to prove it. 

Well, apart from the tie and scarf, that's how I go to the beach in Thailand. Who wants skin cancer?

Edit: Add somekind of a hat to the above.

2 hours ago, JimP said:

I applaud the young traveller for insisting on the meter.  These types of taxi drivers are a <deleted> menace to all the decent ones out there. I simply refuse to get in a taxi until I see the meter pressed, but hey, that's me.  Of course it took a gaggle of Thais to rob the Aussie.  They do like to fight unfairly, and a gun!  Wow.  Cowards.   

No, another cheap charley tourist who can't behave

Archived