Thai Electrical Regulations

shaemus

@Crossy et al

I am looking for the thai electrical Regs book or books.

Do you have the Book name & isbn  TISI No. or a similar defining attribute so that i can go and purchase this. I had look here https://www.tisi.go.th/website/standardlist/comp_thai/en

but nothing jumped out as relevant 

Thanks In advance

Shameus

The main book you need is "รหัสมาตรฐาน EE 2001-56  มาตรฐานการติดตั้งทางไฟฟ้าสำหรับประเทศไทย พ.ศ. 2556" (Standard EE 2001-56 Electrical Installation Standard for Thailand, 2013). There are associated standards for lightning protection and the like which you probably won't need.

Get it here or good bookstores for 225 Baht https://eitstandard.com/มาตรฐานการติดตั้งทางไฟ-2/#

As far as I'm aware it is not available in English.

Unfortunately there's not a Thai equivalent of BS7671 or AS3000 which would make life easy. The best we can do is the information published by PEA which is linked in one of the pinned threads.

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The main book you need is "รหัสมาตรฐาน EE 2001-56  มาตรฐานการติดตั้งทางไฟฟ้าสำหรับประเทศไทย พ.ศ. 2556" (Standard EE 2001-56 Electrical Installation Standard for Thailand, 2013). There are associated standards for lightning protection and the like which you probably won't need.

Get it here or good bookstores for 225 Baht https://eitstandard.com/มาตรฐานการติดตั้งทางไฟ-2/#

As far as I'm aware it is not available in English.

Unfortunately there's not a Thai equivalent of BS7671 or AS3000 which would make life easy. The best we can do is the information published by PEA which is linked in one of the pinned threads.

Thanks

I am going to be going to the PEA when i get back to Thailand, I had to dash of for work.

If you can remember my Voltage drop Issue, I worked out the cable size for 100A At 5% voltage drop, single xlpe in air, worked out a 150mm, that was using as3008. So i dont think that is going to happen. That would be for private submain cable in Aus. The poletop transformer has changeable taps, We drove past some PEA guys installing a new HV pole locally  and asked them if they could change the taps, they said yes no problem it just has to be requested/approved at the local office. 

So the reason to request the Book is to make sure i have my ducks in a row.

I noticed they have a set of regs for rooftop solar. Which is interesting. I will buy them and have a look.

Thanks for your help

Shaemus 

Hi shaemus,

I've recently completed an extensive 10 room 3-phase commercial building re-wiring' that has just passd PEA audit.

There have been lots of recent Thai wiring regs changes that need to be taken into account - the PEA audittor gradually released these changes to the Thai wiring code to us each time we re-auditted and failed 5-times!

They also expect the installation to be neat and tidy. I together with my staff have just passed the latest Thai industrial wiring exams conducted in Bangkok - all electricians carrying out commercial building wiring must now have successfully passed a timed audit of their working practices - this takes a full day and is conducted in Bangkok. It's tough and a government certificate is only issued to successful applicants. Many contractors fail the audit. Ask to see your contractors wiring competance certificate. Its been law now for about 2 years. 

3 เฟส 19-10-59-.pdf

20161207_110352.jpg

3 phase PEA install examples.jpg

20151214_122039.jpg

20160119_155435.jpg

IMAG0766.jpg

Thai wiring sizes.jpg

• 7 months later...
On 11/28/2018 at 10:01 PM, SteveB2 said:

It's tough and a government certificate is only issued to successful applicants. Many contractors fail the audit

@SteveB2  thanks for your interesting update to this thread

can you post a copy of the certificate here ( redact bits if you want) ...so we know what the official government certificate looks like..also is there a  contact number so customers can phone and check its a real certificate that "Somchai" presents to say he's qualified.

When you say "timed audit"  do you mean a practical test installation with  examiner overseeing ?

In the US, engineers have a catch-all in specifications for installation in a “workmanlike manner” which is vaguely defined. That panel would pass the mustard for sure- only thing missing is fault bracing wire ties for the cables.  Impressive!

On 7/5/2019 at 2:33 PM, johng said:

@SteveB2  thanks for your interesting update to this thread

can you post a copy of the certificate here ( redact bits if you want) ...so we know what the official government certificate looks like..also is there a  contact number so customers can phone and check its a real certificate that "Somchai" presents to say he's qualified.

When you say "timed audit"  do you mean a practical test installation with  examiner overseeing ?

A "timed audit" is exactly that...

The electrician being auditted is given a drawing comprising a small two storey house's worth of wiring, complete with specifed line lenths, different wire sizes, an external earth rod, choice of RCD sizes and even some flexible plastic conduit pipe that needs to be cut and bent using a hot air gun. 

He has to wire it all on a big wooden board with level cable runs, cable clips with the correct placing, correct cable size and RD size chosen. upstairs downstairs light switches working properly, a seperate flourescent light with component ballast, starter, end caps.

Timing is 'tight' -  It will be a strucggle to complete the test in the time provided.

Only basic tools can be used(no quick-cable strippers, electric screwdrivers are permitted)

Total practical test duration is about 3 hours

Total academic exam duration is about 3 hours.

Exams are conducted in Bangkok.

Thai electrician study materials and course curriculum are online here http://www.dsd.go.th/standarD/Region/Doc_showDetails/6054

Contact numbers for the govermnent website that regulates the issuance of Thai electricians certificates is given at the following web sites(Thai language only)

http://www.dsd.go.th/standarD?region_id=8#

I have attached the electricians study book for referrence in case the download link(above) dissapears.

Here's an example of the electricians proof of training certificate:-

ogwa6rhyvH3xCy4Tl77-o.jpg  

38_File_บทที่ ๒ ช่างไฟฟ้าภายในอาคาร_27092559150108_.pdf

On 11/28/2018 at 3:01 PM, SteveB2 said:

There have been lots of recent Thai wiring regs changes that need to be taken into account

Yes I was just going to post that in addition to the regulations posted by Crossy, I was sure I'd heard of some changes last year.

On 11/28/2018 at 3:01 PM, SteveB2 said:

Hi shaemus,

They also expect the installation to be neat and tidy. I together with my staff have just passed the latest Thai industrial wiring exams conducted in Bangkok - all electricians carrying out commercial building wiring must now have successfully passed a timed audit of their working practices - this takes a full day and is conducted in Bangkok. It's tough and a government certificate is only issued to successful applicants. Many contractors fail the audit. Ask to see your contractors wiring competance certificate.

Very interesting to see that electrical contractors are in fact regulated in Thailand - I hope they will get around to enforcing the law soon.

Also interesting that they are even more stringent in what they will allow a cable to carry than the UK is.  I believe in the UK the standard rating for 2.5mm cable is 20amps and that even 32 amps is possible on a ring main.

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

Also interesting that they are even more stringent in what they will allow a cable to carry than the UK is.  I believe in the UK the standard rating for 2.5mm cable is 20amps and that even 32 amps is possible on a ring main.

Length is considered when specifying wide range current carrying capacity.

A UK 2.5mm ring with 32A protection will have a length limit for single 2.5mm spurs set by the maximum area a ring circuit is allowed to service. I believe this to be 100 m2

Archived