Family blame police in Nakhon Phanom after chase results in death of helmet-less son, 14

webfact

Family blame police in Nakhon Phanom after chase results in death of helmet-less son, 14

1pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

The family of a 14 year boy who died after a police chase intend to sue the police in Nakhon Phanom.

Thanawut died after hitting a tree. He had been chased by a traffic policeman attached to the Muang district police in the north eastern Thai city. 

He was chased because he was not wearing a helmet and refused to stop. 

His father Chalao, 52, and mother Nitaya, 45, and relatives have gone to the press for help in their fight for justice. Chaleo is an assistant to the phu yai ban in his village. 

And today armed with video footage they were planning to take their grievances up with the police.

Thanawut was on his way home from Muang district to Ban Don Yang Nang on Monday 19th.

The parents said their son became scared and fled. He lost control of his Honda Wave near the Nakhon Phanom University and hit a tree. 

After this they alleged that the traffic policeman - Number 618 - pulled his body in a cruel manner. They claim he should have been helping their son get to hospital. 

Locals filmed this part of the incident. After a while the locals and the police got the boy to hospital.

But he was already dead - Sanook said he was dead immediately after the accident. 

The parents are claiming that their son experienced worse treatment than if he had been a thief or a murderer. 

They accept he was not wearing a helmet but they claim the policeman's response was over the top.

A cremation was held on Saturday and now the family's attention has turned to getting compensation from the police. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-27

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are the boys parents serious?

The only people to blame for this are themselves and their son.

The boy should not have been allowed to ride a motorbike, too young, no license, no insurance, no helmet.

The boy is dead and that is tragic, but his parents are seeing his death as a way to make money..... Sickening.

And the parents should feel responsible for not educating their son to wear a motorcycle helmet, plus letting him ride on the open roads at a young age.

Thai culture or not to wear a helmet, if you care about someone, look after their interests.

typical Thai  blaming the police for killing their 14 year old who should not have been on a bike in the first place,need to look at themselves first,and while i am at young kids racing up and down beach road Jomtien on a weekend, anyone can see thet are not old enough to be on a scooter  , nothing gets done , until this sort of thing happens then, lets blame the police, not us , for letting our underage kid ride a scooter on the highway, beggars belief

Well done o the Policeman for doing his job. Should be more of it.

I drive down the Sukhumvit around the time school is out and see these students, 4 on a bike no helmets etc. the police let them pass without stopping.

This is encouraging bad behaviour.

11 minutes ago, webfact said:

Chaleo is an assistant to the phu yai ban in his village. 

The father has a little bit of status. This is key to the situation in a Thai context. The family may be higher in the social ranking than the cop. The rights and wrongs of the case are not of any interest to the family. The family want revenge. Somebody chased their son leading to his death. They want now to destroy the policeman's career which will impact his family considerably. That is how it works here.

To be quite honest, I feel the police in traffic stops are often way too gung ho in their actions. I have seen them drag people off a speeding bike, regardless of the potential injury it can cause. And for what? Minor traffic offences. I fully agree the boy should have been wearing a helmet, but to chase a kid causing an accident that kills the lad over a bloody helmet is wrong. If he had been a wanted murderer, or some other serious offence it would be acceptable, but for this they are out or order in my book.

17 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

To be quite honest, I feel the police in traffic stops are often way too gung ho in their actions. I have seen them drag people off a speeding bike, regardless of the potential injury it can cause. And for what? Minor traffic offences. I fully agree the boy should have been wearing a helmet, but to chase a kid causing an accident that kills the lad over a bloody helmet is wrong. If he had been a wanted murderer, or some other serious offence it would be acceptable, but for this they are out or order in my book.

Nonsense, the Police (for once) were doing their job, totally down to the parents for not educating their kid

17 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

How do the police know if he is wanted murder or not or some thing more serious all they know at the moment is some one is running away from a road check. Once the person is caught they can then determine why he ran. In this case the kid died before they could find out why he was trying to get away.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

A cremation was held on Saturday and now the family's attention has turned to getting compensation from the police. 

This sums up the sort of "justice" they are looking for quite nicely. "How can we get a handout from our son's own stupidity?"

57 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

How do you suggest the Police enforce the law then? Under your proposed rules, as soon as the boy puts his foot down, the Police should stop chasing? Probably won't effect many traffic stops if criminals know they can just do that...

57 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

If he had been a wanted murderer, or some other serious offence

The thing is the rider did not STOP.

I see it too often, riders avoiding the checkpoints, racing pasts puting the officers life in Danger

(what are your thoughts here).

These riders carry drugs, firearms etc, how can law enforcement stop criminal activity.

The people avoiding checkpoints just carry on breaking the law.

It seems the only people stopping for the checkpoints are the law abiding citizens.

5 minutes ago, SammyT said:

How do you suggest the Police enforce the law then? Under your proposed rules, as soon as the boy puts his foot down, the Police should stop chasing? Probably won't effect many traffic stops if criminals know they can just do that...

It is notable that in many civilised countries, police have been told to back off when high speed pursuits begin, even when stolen cars are involved, on the grounds that it ends in too many unnecessary deaths. I note the article states he was chased because he had no helmet. Perhaps you think that such a heinous crime is sufficient to warrant an untimely death. From a small locale, and undoubtedly having his registration, they could have caught up with him at their leisure and he would still be alive.

41 minutes ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

It is notable that in many civilised countries, police have been told to back off when high speed pursuits begin, even when stolen cars are involved, on the grounds that it ends in too many unnecessary deaths. I note the article states he was chased because he had no helmet. Perhaps you think that such a heinous crime is sufficient to warrant an untimely death. From a small locale, and undoubtedly having his registration, they could have caught up with him at their leisure and he would still be alive.

Very few civilised countries, one state in Australia. NZ officers will still pursue vehicles, same as in most western countries that I am aware of. Ultimately the blame here lies with the kid not wearing a helmet. He made the choice to flee from a cop just doing his job. I'm sure you'd be the first to criticise the lack of action by police if you saw them doing nothing. Clearly the cop didn't anticipate that the kid was going to crash and kill himself, so I think you can leave your "captain hindsight" cape in the cupboard today...

If I'm a judge in this case, I find the parents guilty of child abuse, neglect, and endangerment for letting their 14 year old son who is not legally old enough to have a license, driving a motorbike.  

About 4 years ago there was a Thai family at the end of our street in the moo bahn who had a stunningly beautiful daughter who had just turned 14, and who had been riding a motorbike to school for almost a year.  This girl was about 165 cm tall and looked older, and absolutely stunning.  

One day I asked the man, who spoke very good English why he didn't love his daughter.  He looked at me like I was crazy and said she was the most precious thing in the world to him.  I told him, apparently not, since you've been letting her ride a motorbike, without a helmet, on a busy highway for the past two years. He just laughed and said she was big enough, and a helmet would mess up her hair, so her scarf was better.  

A week or so later she was crushed to death beneath a cement truck when she apparently either lost control or swerved in front of the truck without checking to make sure traffic was clear.  

The parents were devastated, to say the least, but my smarta$$ just had to tell them - "Congratulation, you killed your own daughter."    I guess a couple of other neighbors also had some less than conciliatory comments as well.  After the funeral, the family never spoke to anyone in the village again, and within a month sold their house and moved.

Edit:  They also tried to sue the truck driver, but from what I understand, the judge cleared him, then lambasted the parents. 

1 hour ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I note the article states he was chased because he had no helmet.

The lad was chased because he didn't stop.  The police would have no idea why he didn't stop so quite rightly gave chase.  Crash, bang, wallop and the family are left with one dead kid. 

RIP to the lad, btw. 

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Are the boys parents serious?

The only people to blame for this are themselves and their son.

The boy should not have been allowed to ride a motorbike, too young, no license, no insurance, no helmet.

The boy is dead and that is tragic, but his parents are seeing his death as a way to make money..... Sickening.

Agree, and I see another point; the typical attitude of no respect for the law.

I see this continuously in my outer family, they insist people should be allowed to do whatever they want to do, their decision, there shouldn't be laws.

We have one old loudmouth know-all 'aunty', she's adamant that there is no such thing as the traffic law, it's up to the police to make decisions, and if you know the police it's your good luck. And she's been put in the cells twice and fined for abusing police.

Her loudmouth ladyboy nephew is the same, he insists that there are no laws about seatbelts, it's just a scam invented by the police to get money. 

There's a twist, my Thai son bemoans the fact that there is so little knowledge of and respect for the law (this is partly because he went to school in Singapore where there is strong respect for the law and respect for the police and he strongly noticed this point). 

My son has banned his wife and kids from travelling in 'aunty's' car because she's dangerous, she's had many accidents with deaths and injuries, her story is always 'I go first, it's up to me' etc. The ladyboy now knows that there is no discussion with my son, he buckles up and it stays bucked up or he gets out of the car and the car leaves without him.

My son makes sure his 3 kids hear all of this because it's good reinforcement of observing / respecting the law.  

What is the legal age to ride a bike? 

If it is higher than 14, then the parents are deflecting the blame for their responsibility of legal driving age, education of wearing a helmet and obeying enforcement...

my guess is the family and Thai culture in general can’t be bothered with education and training...

And now they are upset with the consequences? Tough shit....

Mistakes always come back to lack of accountability 

There is no mention in the article as to ownership of the bike.   If it was Mummy or Daddy's, here is something the police could and should consider:

MOTOR CAR ACT Section 56
The owner or driver of a motor vehicle must not let anyone without a proper driver’s license to drive the vehicle.......

2 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

What is the legal age to ride a bike? 

If it is higher than 14, then the parents are deflecting the blame for their responsibility of legal driving age, education of wearing a helmet and obeying enforcement...

my guess is the family and Thai culture in general can’t be bothered with education and training...

And now they are upset with the consequences? Tough shit....

Mistakes always come back to lack of accountability 

Thais cannot get any license at 14 years old, that's clear in the written law.

A major part of the problem is that the police and other authorities have for decades ignored the written law and ignored that fact they see hundreds of thousands of well underage kids driving motorcyles every day.

This should have been stopped by the police decades ago, before it became such a problem.

But the reality is that many folks like the situation as is. 

2 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

You must belong to the "Flat Earth Society" ....

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

To be quite honest, I feel the police in traffic stops are often way too gung ho in their actions.

Mate, you're not seeing these checkpoints in action, the Thais just wizz around the Police and laugh at them, also putting the Police in Danger.

To be quite honest I feel the police in traffic stops are far to Passive.

Everytime a checkpoint is broken by an offender, he tells 10 of his mates and they feel they can avoid capture also.

Please Police department, get more active in stopping these criminals.

4 hours ago, VYCM said:

Well done o the Policeman for doing his job. Should be more of it.

I drive down the Sukhumvit around the time school is out and see these students, 4 on a bike no helmets etc. the police let them pass without stopping.

This is encouraging bad behaviour.

If the kids are not adhering to safety requirements and no parental guidance, then if any untoward incident happen, who is to be blamed but themselves... 

Archived