Type 2 diabetes health insurance

Binger

Hi everyone hope this is right place if not Sorry anyway my question is

I am 56 English male moving to si rattana next year with Thai wife i have type 2 diabetes which i take 2 metformin tablets a day i will be looking for health insurance and wanted to ask if any members with type 2 diabetes in isaan can give me any information on any good insurance company’s for health insurance and a ruff idea of cost thank you for any help in this matter

Unless it is a government subsidized program, then health insurance would exclude know medical cost and charge a premium for average medical cost for your health

i would suggest you continue your previous insurance (assuming you had insurance before you knew about guaranteed medical costs)

Was on Metformin for over a year and caused very many problems, including dropping from 62k to 51k until I went to insulin. My internal medicine doctor of 15 years said it was the best decision I made. He let me make the choice. I am on Eli Lilly Humilin 70/30. Insulin is very cheap here in Thailand/Asia. 250 baht a vial. I went to the Eli Lilly cartridges for injector pen. So simple to use and travel with. Uses very short tiny needles needles. My Chiangmai pharmacy ordered the injector pen. I think 2300. Cartridges/5 to box at my once a day injections of 21 units cost 1200, pen needles extra short for injector is 800 baht a box. Good luck. I love the once a day injection without all the side effects. Just have to learn not to go low. I get my meter and all my test strips through a very good medical company through AliExpress atba fraction of cost of Thai supplies delivered direct to door in Chiang mai. Good luck!

I am not diabetic so I cannot advise you on that side of things sorry. But I see a few good blokes have thrown their two bobs worth in,good on them. All the info you can get from people living here can make things so much easier for you.

As for the medical insurance,I made the mistake of going with a big local insurance company,thought it would be easier to deal locally. Big #($”=@%§ mistake that was. Been in hospital twice this yr,once for urinary tract infection,once for pancreatic infection. Both times they refused to pay on the day of discharge. Still waiting for my money back. 

The waiting period was three months,i was 8 months into the policy with no claims as of that time . This was the first time any of my conditions had appeared and they still would not pay up.

i come to find out,the policy needs to be underwritten and guaranteed to pay out if admitted.

looking at a new provider now. (Pacific Cross health insurance).

They are underwritten and the policy is cheaper,once accepted the policy can be taken out untill 99 yrs of age,and they can’t cancel the policy if you become a risk.

They have an office in BKK and there is a guy named Jamie that handles expats.Spoke to him on the phone a few times and got good answers to some questions and concerns I had.(lessons learnt from current provider).

They all promise you the world until it’s time for them to pay up,so do some homework. But so far this company is looking good,be interested to hear from anyone that has cover and how they have been treated.

cheers Mike.

I had Regency for 2 years and both illness and injury that required a Hospital stay was immediately deemed ' diabetes ' related and they would cover nothing. Switch over to Krungthai Bank KTB's 6200 health plan last year. Cheaper by 18,000 baht to any comparable International plan with my diabetes declared. Haven't needed to use it yet, but up front it offers everything the International ones promise they'll do.

you know it is cure-able right ? ok, let's say you can get off insulin & other crap if you want to if you stick to some rules in your life.  It is called a lifestyle change and only works if YOU really want it. If you prefer injecting insulin, which , come on, what a joke as ..

every diabetes type 2 person is INSULIN RESISTANT ... about 5-10 years before they become T2D... do a fasting insulin test (homa-IR) and you will see how high your number is...

so taking INSULIN to push sugar into cells your body does not want, as you are resistant to it, is as useful as putting more air in your already over extented football, car tire, etc...

I know out of experience that many people love to continue to eat their crappy diet that is causing their disease, than to change that.... insulin injections, insulin pumps, metformin ....

metformin does lower blood glucose.... haha ... but it does not lower INSULIN levels ... ding ding ding ... ring a bell ?

if your MD does not want to do those tests or not covered by insurance, go to PATHLAB (.co.th) and order the tests you want and pay out of pocket

that is if you want to get rid of that pesky insulin,  injections, metformin, maybe some blood pressure medication or whatever else you are on...

just my 2 cents

many deniers will say: no, it is for life, only pills & injections, no "cure" ...guess what is their business.... MD, pharma resellers, etc...

55 minutes ago, Morty T said:

I had Regency for 2 years and both illness and injury that required a Hospital stay was immediately deemed ' diabetes ' related and they would cover nothing. Switch over to Krungthai Bank KTB's 6200 health plan last year. Cheaper by 18,000 baht to any comparable International plan with my diabetes declared. Haven't needed to use it yet, but up front it offers everything the International ones promise they'll do.

Thanks for the info,the misses was looking at that mob last night,but with being another local company i wasn't to sure.

1 hour ago, Morty T said:

Ktb does not have a health insurance,at least not at their website

From personal experience I can definitely tell you thsat having type 2 diabetes and not even diet controlled, that once you need to make a claim, anything even slightly related to diabetes will void the claim, such as:

Heart disease and stroke

loss of feeling – pain  and nerve damage

foot and hand problems – like sores, infections, blood flow

vision loss and blindness

problems with your kidneys and liver

Because of this, I felt is better to reserve some of my savings rather than insure, when they will avoid a claim.

Even when I managed to clear any indication of diabetes by exercise and improved diet etc, I still was considered as having a hifher likelihood of future problems.

Good luck.

16 hours ago, dickjones2018 said:

you know it is cure-able right ? ok, let's say you can get off insulin & other crap if you want to if you stick to some rules in your life.  It is called a lifestyle change and only works if YOU really want it. If you prefer injecting insulin, which , come on, what a joke as ..

every diabetes type 2 person is INSULIN RESISTANT ... about 5-10 years before they become T2D... do a fasting insulin test (homa-IR) and you will see how high your number is...

so taking INSULIN to push sugar into cells your body does not want, as you are resistant to it, is as useful as putting more air in your already over extented football, car tire, etc...

I know out of experience that many people love to continue to eat their crappy diet that is causing their disease, than to change that.... insulin injections, insulin pumps, metformin ....

metformin does lower blood glucose.... haha ... but it does not lower INSULIN levels ... ding ding ding ... ring a bell ?

if your MD does not want to do those tests or not covered by insurance, go to PATHLAB (.co.th) and order the tests you want and pay out of pocket

that is if you want to get rid of that pesky insulin,  injections, metformin, maybe some blood pressure medication or whatever else you are on...

just my 2 cents

many deniers will say: no, it is for life, only pills & injections, no "cure" ...guess what is their business.... MD, pharma resellers, etc...

You are correct (!in my opinion) but your post comes across as elitist and patronising, a good way in fact, to make people ignore it, ding a ling, get it, ding a ling ha ha?

16 hours ago, dickjones2018 said:

just my 2 cents

DT2 is potentially manageable not curable, unless the patient maintains the lifestyle and dietary changes the condition will return. PS: I don't work in pharama. etc.

I have been living in Thailand for 18 years and I am an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic. I have NEVER been able to get medical insurance, even back in the UK, and it is not for the want of trying! However I do have a comprehensive accident policy with Bangkok Bank - no problems. Treatment for other medical conditions I have to fund myself. 

fyi:  almost every T2D that undergoes a stomach reduction operation, is "cured" from the first week...

and it is not the operation... it is because they cannot eat anymore ...

they do something they never thought was possible in their life of overeating:  not eating for a week (as they will vomit like hell if they try)

but still, many people will never try fasting... prefer to get cut open / get most of your stomach reduced and are able to only eat an "egg seize" portion of food

and all the other problems (gallbladder stones, but we have an operation for that too, you don't need it, says the MD)  and vitamin & mineral deficiencies

fasting for 7 - 30 days would CURE diabetes but even skipping one meal in the T2D or average person seems soooooooooooooo impossible as they will starve to death & other excuses

On 12/3/2018 at 11:22 AM, Burma Bill said:

I have been living in Thailand for 18 years and I am an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic. I have NEVER been able to get medical insurance, even back in the UK, and it is not for the want of trying! However I do have a comprehensive accident policy with Bangkok Bank - no problems. Treatment for other medical conditions I have to fund myself. 

Hi all,

I am a type 2 diabetic and have been for 28 years. I have been insulin-dependent for most of those years but managed to reduce the dosage a little bit mainly with diet. I weighed 131 kilos (177 cm tall) and my doctor said if I get a gastric bypass the diabetes would be cured. Had the operation in 2009 and lost 45 kilos the following year. It did not cure the diabetes. Although today I weigh 67 kilos.

Gastric bypass operations cure some people who have had the “cultural” version of diabetes. i.e., onset by bad eating habits. Everyone is different. Both my parents had diabetes. But while heredity loads the gun, environment pulls the trigger.

The following year I found another doctor who put me on a vegan diet. He also claimed it would cure diabetes. 3 months after starting it, I passed out in a parking lot. I had a one-night’s stay in a hospital. I had not cut back on my insulin enough to meet the new diet’s regime. I continued the vegan diet for another year, but due to my small pouch, I could not get enough protein from most vegan food. But there were beans. While it is true that there is more protein in 100 calories of broccoli than there is in 100 calories of beef, I began to dislike beans so much that I eventually stopped eating them. I could not eat too much of anything else. Eventually, I developed edema in my legs and anemia from protein deficiency. I could barely walk then. I have had to wear compression socks for these past few years, but exercise moderately now and eating plenty of dense, animal protein.

I agree with the comments about pre-existing conditions and appreciate this gent’s comment, in my case-- to get personal accident insurance in lieu of renewing my policy next year. Thank you.

I hope this has been helpful.

22 hours ago, moogradod said:

Sorry, my mistake.

However it is interesting to note that some banks in Thailand offer health insurance at all.

AFAIK as broker only.

Take into account that part of this health insurance policy is a compulsory life insurance. It is in itself not as pure health only cover.

Archived