Pattaya high season hotel bookings well down on 2017 - but there could be a reason say THA

webfact

A lot could be argued her but for the most part, this is a great post. Someone is finally noticing that problems cannot be viewed from a single systems point of view. For instance, the drop in Chinese tourists are not just from the Phuket boat accident, but maybe that incident stopped a certain type of Chinese traveler or most are getting tired of Thailand and want to travel more out west, or a dozen of other reasons. I'm glad, I prefer those Chinese from the COUNTRY of Taiwan a lot more and those from the country of China who do not travel in big groups.20 and 30 year old Chinese are much more well-mannered. Still, those from the country of Taiwan are even more well mannered.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SheungWan said:

Tell us where you are and we'll do a comparison.

Went on a trip to Vietnam recently. Has all the things Thailand used to have and none of the things Thailand has now. Don't think I saw one Indian whilst I was there.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

"What? If anything Thailand's visa rules are easy for tourists".

Not for the under fifties who want to stay long term they are not.

The thread relates to tourism , ex pats or those wishing to stay year on year are not tourists.

8 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Yes, I get that but the invasion is complete, you can't get away from them. Went for a swim and lunch in the Areca Lodge last week. Mostly farangs with their farang wives, a few farangs with their Thai "girlfriends. Large group of young Indians spread round the pool and started acting like complete idiots. Really annoying. Most people, us included, packed up and left the pool area.

Sometimes one has to move on elsewhere. Sorry about the Areca though.

8 hours ago, onera1961 said:
8 hours ago, mercman24 said:

all the agents Agoda etc do this to try and get you to panic buy, its a sells routine,when you get in touch with the hotel direct , and the answer has always been , *yes no problem, we have a room for you *

But they of ten charge more. And each hotel site is allocated a certain number of rooms to market and fill. 

Yes the Agoda and Booking .com are more expensive than if you called and booked direct. Such is life  😑

7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Went on a trip to Vietnam recently. Has all the things Thailand used to have and none of the things Thailand has now. Don't think I saw one Indian whilst I was there.

Maybe the Communist Party locked them all up.

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

What? If anything Thailand's visa rules are easy for tourists. 30 day stamp for many countries, easy tourist visas. E-visa would be nice though.

Easy, really? Have you looked at Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia visa rules?

Try being under 50, and being a tourist more than 6 month. See how easy it is, compared to 3 neighboring countries.

I have been coming to Thailand for 20 years , will no doubt continue because I have made friends and frankly im too lazy to start over.

However its far from cheap these days and unlike before I would never now highly recommend it to others.

The reasons for its decline have been well documented on this thread , were I 40 again I would certainly not choose to holiday in Thailand .

1 hour ago, greeneking said:

The visa rules which change all the time.  Are they making it more easy or more difficult this month - I can't keep up!

Malaysia offers, I believe, 90 days on arrival and has done for years without any problems that I know of.

Why is Thailand so paranoid?

Not paranoid. Incompetent. 

9 hours ago, mercman24 said:

hey did you forget the INDIANS i was in Pattaya a few nights ago, thought i was in INDIA lol, even cheaper charlies than the Chinese

If you take a stroll down Beach Road in the later part of the evening you will see them negotiating a "5 for the price of 1" deal with the freelancer ladies. :cheesy:

10 minutes ago, Kim J said:

Try staying here beyond 90 days, having a 60 day tourist visa, with the 30 day extension. Then I think you will understand what was being said.

I know exactly what was being said , just not relevent to this thread.

There are actually travel related definitions distinguishing between 'tourists ' and ' visitors ' but lets not get pedantic. Suffice to say that anybody who stays for an extended period and does not spend most of their time visiting 'touristic ' attractions, is classified as a visitor.

Archived