Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

Our exports went up in 2017 (year after the referendum)

granted exports were on a downwards trend from a peak in 2013

https://www.statista.com/statistics/472364/united-kingdom-uk-export-value/

A better source

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/exports

Click max and it will show exports are up even after the referundum

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The next European election could open the door to populist parties – shame I can't vote in it 

Until now, the vast majority of MEPs has colluded in wanting “more Europe”. The parliament has gained greater powers to enforce this. Under the “Spitzenkandidat” system which now chooses the president of the European Commission, the parliament bands together to prevent an open contest and make sure that the next head is in the “right” mould.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/02/11/next-european-election-could-open-door-populist-parties-shame/

2 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

yes, he was, born and bred and shot

me? how so? brexit/remain pretty much same same for me

brexit; interesting to see how UK manages on her own

remain; UK serves as a valuable handbrake against the wildest ideas in EU

Aha. So we should stay in to just to slow down the wildest EU ideas (of which there are many)!

That's just using us. Not fair.

21 hours ago, Grouse said:

I thought it might have taught you another lesson - be kind and generous to others. That's Karma; not something that appears in The Brexit Lexicon.

21 hours ago, bomber said:

dick sounds like a scrounger to me,having to rely on others at 47 is shocking,typical leave voter 

14 hours ago, nontabury said:

In 10yrs reading post on T.V.  Yours is the most nasty and disgusting post I have read. If you were half a man 555, you would issue a public apology.

Though I would’t hold my breath.

Thank you nontabury.

I couldn't be bothered to reply to either of the above posts, as they are both completely ridiculous.

wait for it, the UK has signed a 'trade continuation deal' with Switzerland.

https://www.ft.com/content/2341f6e8-2dd5-11e9-ba00-0251022932c8?fbclid=IwAR0mV2OPr5Kb4iRIclxju29ugrmvI-cDyyv4geJVxTG5gNrk0NomzunexGk

Saves about 12 million quid in potential tariffs (That you don't pay at the moment). Cuckoo clocks will still be just as check for the UK!

Now with Switzerland, the Faroes and Chile done in 2.5 years, just another 68 comprehensive agreements and 700 sectoral agreements to go (in 46 days) just so that you can be no worse off.

28 minutes ago, samran said:

https://www.ft.com/content/2341f6e8-2dd5-11e9-ba00-0251022932c8?fbclid=IwAR0mV2OPr5Kb4iRIclxju29ugrmvI-cDyyv4geJVxTG5gNrk0NomzunexGk

Saves about 12 million quid in potential tariffs (That you don't pay at the moment). Cuckoo clocks will still be just as check for the UK!

Now with Switzerland, the Faroes and Chile done in 2.5 years, just another 68 comprehensive agreements and 700 sectoral agreements to go (in 46 days) just so that you can be no worse off.

Yes! Continuation of the existing EU FTA’s, same rules, same tariffs etc. Now that is really ‘taking back control’ - or isn’t it?

9 hours ago, samran said:

Why would the EU offer the UK a zero tariff zero quota FTA? They have absolutely no incentive to now.

Well we are constantly told that the Irish border is a hugely important issue for the EU, and that it is imperative there is no border in order to maintain peace. A comprehensive FTA solves that issue. 

Furthermore, the FTA would be of huge benefit to EU countries who export to the UK. 

Last but not least, the FTA would go a long way to prevent a disruption to world trade. 

Or are you suggesting the EU are more interested in vengeance and points scoring? 

13 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Did you read the graph? 

All based on 'forecasts' as far as I could see.

yes, looks like forecast, and the forecast for household income is seriously down,

for whatever it is worth

don't like it? not to worry, just walk on and turn the nearest corner to the right

and pick up a paper displaying a forecast possibly more to your liking

forecasts and predictions are cheap these days

11 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

approaching Bleak House .. . .

David Copperfield, more like. Politicians of all stripes are guilty of failing to observe Mr Micawber's dictum, The Micawber Principle. 

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness," he declared. "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery." 

If political leaders across the world had practiced what this Dickens' character preached, we would not now be debt slaves to the bankers.

36 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Well we are constantly told that the Irish border is a hugely important issue for the EU, and that it is imperative there is no border in order to maintain peace. A comprehensive FTA solves that issue. 

Furthermore, the FTA would be of huge benefit to EU countries who export to the UK. 

Last but not least, the FTA would go a long way to prevent a disruption to world trade. 

Or are you suggesting the EU are more interested in vengeance and points scoring? 

It doesn't

We need to be in the customs union and single market to solve the Irish border.  

8 hours ago, nauseus said:

If you were to analyze the frequency of fallacies. misinterpretations and misrepresentations, with good anti-bias detection but without prejudice, then your main worry would be the discovery of Mount Moron in the Remain Range.

But you know that's not true.

I won't push it, I've made my point...

6 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

yes, he was, born and bred and shot

me? how so? brexit/remain pretty much same same for me

brexit; interesting to see how UK manages on her own

remain; UK serves as a valuable handbrake against the wildest ideas in EU

So, you don't give a damn?

I'm rather disappointed in you.

Why contribute? I for one will ignore your contributions in future. Bye.

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Thank you nontabury.

I couldn't be bothered to reply to either of the above posts, as they are both completely ridiculous.

Yes indeed, kindness and generosity are ridiculous. Ever since Thatcher actually.

If you were to analyze the frequency of fallacies. misinterpretations and misrepresentations, with good anti-bias detection but without prejudice, then your main worry would be the discovery of Mount Moron in the Remain Range.

13 minutes ago, Grouse said:

But you know that's not true.

I won't push it, I've made my point...

You frequently make your point - which boils down to leavers being stupid, uneducated etc.....

Sorry, I screwed up the order of posts, my post is directed at grouse.

21 minutes ago, tebee said:

It doesn't

We need to be in the customs union and single market to solve the Irish border.  

Yes, but as I understood it this 'comprehensive' FTA would have extra provisions in it regarding customs arrangements. I'm sure some clever people could figure it out when push comes to shove. 

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

You frequently make your point - which boils down to leavers being stupid, uneducated etc.....

Sorry, I screwed up the order of posts, my post is directed at grouse.

I didn't say a word ????

26 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Yes, but as I understood it this 'comprehensive' FTA would have extra provisions in it regarding customs arrangements. I'm sure some clever people could figure it out when push comes to shove. 

The problem is we also need to agree to maintain single market standards and I would assume somehow prove to the EU  that we are enforcing them.

Otherwise some unscrupulous person imports US hormone treated beef into the UK, relables it, ships it to NI, then across the border the ROI then on to Europe 

So we need to maintain customs parity and adhere to all single market standards - what is the point of leaving the EU then? 

2 hours ago, samran said:

1 hour ago, damascase said:

Yes! Continuation of the existing EU FTA’s, same rules, same tariffs etc. Now that is really ‘taking back control’ - or isn’t it?

Also :- 

So govt says that by signing a trade continuity agreement with Switzerland they will avoid WTO terms thus securing significant savings, safeguarding British jobs. Says it all, doesn’t it?

5 hours ago, bomber said:

goods actually fell,services offset this,and we still have a big trade gap,brexit and the motor industry moving out will send it crashing

Where does it say that goods fell ? The Trade gap would be there whether Brexit happened or not. It's been widening since God was a boy...

Where is your reference to the motor industry moving out ?

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

Granted, that’s is a consideration which can be solved by the backstop. 

For the UK proper, there is absolutely no incentive to offer you a comprehensive FTA. For the same reasons why other parties to the current EU deals aren’t lining up to grant continuity arrangements: because they’ll get a better deal now you are weaker.

15 minutes ago, tebee said:

Otherwise some unscrupulous person imports US hormone treated beef into the UK, relables it, ships it to NI, then across the border the ROI then on to Europe

I don't think this would happen in reality, when you consider the relabelling costs and extra shipping / transport costs, not to mention the time lapse on this extended journey for perishable goods. 

Archived