Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

leaving with no deal what so ever is not a good idea, that is asking for severe problems

leaving without a trade deal - ok - if you so wish

but there is a host of issues where formal deals are needed

note that most crossings of the UK border - one way or the other

are regulated by a EU based regulatory framework

which is not there anymore come 29th late evening

the future of uk families in eu needs a formal deal

the future of eu families in uk needs a formal deal  - not just political intentions

marine - road - rail - air transport need a proper deal

its not only a matter of flying BA in/out of EU but also a matter

of using UK airports for EEA planes, there will no longer be qualified pilots and mechanics in the UK,

can't do ground clearance of planes anymore

unless a deal is made

CAA will no longer be a recognized agency/control organ.

leave without a trade deal if you fancy

but there is a host of practical deals that need to be made for necessary activities to continue

without disruption

shouldn't be too difficult - but needs to be done

no deal no deal Brexit is hardly wise

---

and you really need to speed up the sorting of your WTO stuff,

must establish your own trading profile/schedule faster than lightning,

such efforts are not tricky as such but takes time because UK will be dealing

with a lot of DIFFICULT countries

can't continue to use the EU deals, maybe an extension could be asked for,

doubtful though.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, baboon said:

I would disagree. The vote was 52 - 48. You can't trample on the wishes of either side, so where do you go from here? You compromise.

I'll tell you where the UK will go from here.

in the new year, May will propose another referendum. The choices; do you accept the deal on the table or do you wish to stay in the EU.

5 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

in the new year, May will propose another referendum. The choices; do you accept the deal on the table or do you wish to stay in the EU.

Unfortunately I think it is equally as likely that May will blunder and procrastinate us into a No Deal, Hard Brexit.

34 minutes ago, baboon said:

Unfortunately I think it is equally as likely that May will blunder and procrastinate us into a No Deal, Hard Brexit.

I hear you baboon, but keep in mind that May was (is?) a committed Remainer, and the Breiteers that she chose to lead negotiations were systematically outed. IMO she had no intention of letting the UK leave right from the start.

12 hours ago, nontabury said:

You had better have a word with this guy.

Could it be the same Guy Verhofstadt. That you so admire

Nice one Cyril. I wonder what he has been drinking/taking?

I need to know so that I don't take any by mistake.

Perhaps it was Harpic that cleans right around the bends, which it seems to me, is where he is now.

Clean round the bend.

9 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I hear you baboon, but keep in mind that May was (is?) a committed Remainer, and the Breiteers that she chose to lead negotiations were systematically outed. IMO she had no intention of letting the UK leave right from the start.

I hope to God you will be on here in a few months telling me you told me so. I do NOT want to be proven right.

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Nice one Cyril. I wonder what he has been drinking/taking?

I need to know so that I don't take any by mistake.

Perhaps it was Harpic that cleans right around the bends, which it seems to me, is where he is now.

Clean round the bend.

probably drinking HB, hjemmebrent - home burnt (Moonshine in Norwegian)

I always have to look twice when SW talks about HB,

ahh - hard brexit not moonshine

I would disagree. The vote was 52 - 48. You can't trample on the wishes of either side, so where do you go from here? You compromise.
Compromise? Nah. It's that sort of wishy washy half in, half out attitude, trying to please everyone, that has led to this mess. Had remain won by the same margin, we wouldn't be talking about soft remain, hard remain, or trampling on the wishes of the leave side. It was a binary vote. Whichever side won, for better or for worse, the country should have simply proceeded positively in that direction.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, rixalex said:

Mommysboy said he thought the vote needed to be respected. Sadly he's one of the few remainers with the integrity on this forum to take that view.

Neither revoking of article 50 "until we can get our act together" (read, "leaving the EU ain't never going to happen") or going with May's current deal, does respect the vote.

Are you STILL going on about an advisory poll two years ago before anyone knew anything?

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

It didn't stop you voting though did it ????

Correct. And I did not know anything like as much then as I know now

One never knows what what doesn't know until one learns more.

What point are you trying to make?

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

This is just trying to scare TVForum members.

I say get the warships in the Med and assert our authority. Send a few shivers down the spins of the unelected EU bullies. The US would help us in this. Payback for Libya and Iraq.

Sounds like..

Related image

35 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Parity re intelligence despite the constant drivel to the contrary.

Intelligenceis not the issue. Education, knowledge accrued has everything to do with this issue.

The 2016 referendum was not only advisory, the people had little knowledge at the time. I don't know about you but I have learnt a great deal. A referendum on what the CONs have achieved would be useful.

You surely don't want a Corbyn government AND a no deal Brexit?

I hope May decides to remain and calls a referendum to ratify her decision or otherwise

7 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Intelligenceis not the issue. Education, knowledge accrued has everything to do with this issue.

The 2016 referendum was not only advisory, the people had little knowledge at the time. I don't know about you but I have learnt a great deal. A referendum on what the CONs have achieved would be useful.

You surely don't want a Corbyn government AND a no deal Brexit?

I hope May decides to remain and calls a referendum to ratify her decision or otherwise

You are wrong.

The 2016 referendum was not advisory.

.........or was David Cameron fibbing.

Listen.... and I mean go away and listen....to his Chatham House speech, then put your hand on your heart and state categorically that it said the referendum was advisory.

This could be interesting test of intelligence.

35 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Are you STILL going on about an advisory poll two years ago before anyone knew anything?

Stop Grousing about, it was not advisory, it was a decisive

vote, and most people knew at the time that the EU was

as bent as a failed EU banana, ask the French, Italians, etc.  

The word 'could' in the topic headline betrays the nonsense.

16 minutes ago, rixalex said:

Compromise? Nah. It's that sort of wishy washy half in, half out attitude, trying to please everyone, that has led to this mess. Had remain won by the same margin, we wouldn't be talking about soft remain, hard remain, or trampling on the wishes of the leave side. It was a binary vote. Whichever side won, for better or for worse, the country should have simply proceeded positively in that direction.

A binary vote. And a bloody stupid one because of just that. Yes, you voted to leave. But staying in the EEA is not being in the EU. Staying in the Customs Union is not being in the EU. So the government can claim they delivered on what you voted for...

14 minutes ago, baboon said:

A binary vote. And a bloody stupid one because of just that. Yes, you voted to leave. But staying in the EEA is not being in the EU. Staying in the Customs Union is not being in the EU. So the government can claim they delivered on what you voted for...

Yes, I would agree with that.

...... and if that is the ‘best’ exit that can be negotiated so be it, I will have (arguably) got what I voted for........... except, it is not ALL of what the Prime Minister said we were voting for.

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

.........or was David Cameron fibbing.

No, just got carried away making promises he couldn't keep.

Theresa May said she could invoke Art 50  - was she fibbing.

No, just got carried away making promises she couldn't keep, and she hasn't stopped.

Brexit: The Abysmal Reality Of Becoming Poorer

https://www.forbes.com/sites/randybrown/2018/12/10/brexit-the-abysmal-reality-of-becoming-poorer/

The Brexit drama has been an abysmal fractious saga. Polls show that U.K. voters more readily identify as either “Leave” or “Remain” more than they do their political party. That polarization seriously undermines democracy and may dominate politics for decades to come. At this point, May’s plan is pragmatic, and the fact that the extreme element on either side don’t like it implies she may have found a workable center.

6 hours ago, rixalex said:

Mommysboy said he thought the vote needed to be respected. Sadly he's one of the few remainers with the integrity on this forum to take that view.

Neither revoking of article 50 "until we can get our act together" (read, "leaving the EU ain't never going to happen") or going with May's current deal, does respect the vote.

It doesn't necessarily disrespect it- it's just saying that we have to take a step back and properly work this thing out- a solution could involve cross party agreement over Brexit- it then ceases to be a party pinball game.

Both revoking or just leaving take EU out of the equation for the time being, which is not a bad thing.  Any negotiated deal with the EU will leave us with the dirty end of the stick.

42 minutes ago, tebee said:

Brexit: The Abysmal Reality Of Becoming Poorer

https://www.forbes.com/sites/randybrown/2018/12/10/brexit-the-abysmal-reality-of-becoming-poorer/

The Brexit drama has been an abysmal fractious saga. Polls show that U.K. voters more readily identify as either “Leave” or “Remain” more than they do their political party. That polarization seriously undermines democracy and may dominate politics for decades to come. At this point, May’s plan is pragmatic, and the fact that the extreme element on either side don’t like it implies she may have found a workable center.

I have never liked any of your posts tebee but you can have one for that quote.

So that's worked out very nicely for you hasn't it. You give yourself the two choices that you'd most prefer.

Archived