Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

The backstop is not a problem, it is a solution to a problem. 

That problem has nothing to do with the EU or is “manufactured”; you should know that there are borders between countries and that these borders have infrastructure to control them. After all, that’s what you campaigned for, to “control your borders”. 

If anything, the root cause of why there has to be a new solution, is because the existing solution, the EU membership of both sides of the border, is being removed due to Brexit. 

If you haven’t noticed by now, the EU cannot keep the UK in the EU. Please inform yourself before posting nonsense; only the UK can revoke Article 50. 

It was clearly mentioned, you just preferred to listen to the sweet lies and false promises of your leaders. Good that you realize that now. 

Actually I’m tired of responding to posts that keep spreading the old lie of “unelected” EU politicians. Maybe I should just do the same and call UK politicians “unelected”. Another lie is that the EU wants to throw Ireland out of the EU. Typical nonsense and lies of desperate Brexiteers realizing how hopeless their situation is. 

If it wasn't for the EU, there would not be a call/need for a backstop - the GFA was primarily brokered by the USA, not the EU. The EU want to keep the UK, they don't want anyone to leave. 

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

Those sounded completely genuine!

Not a single pause, 'er' or sign of thinking. Clearly scripted. Some people will do anything for money.

Typical Brexiters tactics.

If these statements really are false, then I would say they are more akin to remainer tactics.

I loved this one: "sovereignty-sucking"! ????

13 minutes ago, nauseus said:

If it wasn't for the EU, there would not be a call/need for a backstop - the GFA was primarily brokered by the USA, not the EU. 

Brexit is causing the need for a backstop, or any other solution that ensures the provisions of the GFA. 

13 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The EU want to keep the UK, they don't want anyone to leave. 

The EU wants the current UK to leave. You may apply for EU membership again when you cleaned up and became a functional state that can be taken serious again. 

12 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Well if I was a Brexiteer I would expect to enforce a border for people and goods same as the border to the East. Unless I was a flannelling Hard Brexiteer who had their head in the sand.

Enforce people and goods, so that's pretty much everything except services that you want to enforce. Not really very free trade but there you go, neither is the EU. But why do you think we need to have the same enforcement between NI and the border to the East?

Post Brexit we could easily maintain different borders - why not? The NI/Ireland border has long been a special case for the UK. If we want (not the EU bloc) we can allow free passage of people and goods over that border. Just like the GFA for the past 20 years, British and Irish nationals come and go, as do goods. There are still unseen customs procedures between two countries with differing tax regimes that function perfectly well. That's pretty much what Ireland wants anyway, so why do Remainers think that shouldn't continue after Brexit?

Not so much head in the sand, as always take a good look under the surface.Related image

8 hours ago, bomber said:

the main brexit issues where about immigration and an overstretched NHS,they are barely ever mentioned these days

It's all about deflection at the moment. Concentrate the MSM on backstop and NI, while Theresa happily surrenders with her and Angela's 'agreement'.

Immigration, Contribution and Sovereignty were the main ones but not necessarily in that order. Those main headings cover most detailed issues. Have you forgotten already? An overstretched NHS was never an EU referendum issue, no matter what you think about a sticker on a bus.

53 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Some interesting points here too:

So despite my gut warning me not to, I watched the Farage speech, but vomited a little with the Christian zealot fanboys.

So Farage’s demand was ‘EU give us a 2 year tariff and quota free period’ 

The problem with this is you are outside the EU as of a few weeks. The  EU offer this to no one, unless of course you sign up to being a member. So why should they do you a special deal. Wasn’t your chant ‘out means out’.

Well. Suck it up and live with what you asked for. 

22 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Brexit is causing the need for a backstop, or any other solution that ensures the provisions of the GFA. 

The EU wants the current UK to leave. You may apply for EU membership again when you cleaned up and became a functional state that can be taken serious again. 

And you think Leavers are morons????????? Get it right:

The backstop is not caused by Brexit. It's an imaginary problem invented by Merkel & May for the Remain campaign.

The EU wants to keep their beneficial trade status quo and our 39Bn. Especially the 39Bn. It could well do with out our membership and MEPs often interfering with their master plan, so May's capitulation by BRINO kills two UK birds with one EU stone. 

10 hours ago, bomber said:

did enough sums to have more than enough money to retire on at 45,but still do some work if its lucrative enough to motivate me,  and yourself

31 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I still need to work if I can. Thanks for caring.

I retired at 47 having planned (I thought....) everything.

Things went horribly wrong, and I was suddenly short of income :sad:.

Happy to say that thanks to landlord, brother and friend - I managed to stay here, and then ex died and my own pensions 'kicked in', so that I'm now comfortable financially and have absolutely no need or desire to work.

But it taught me a lesson - never ASSUME anything.

16 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Enforce people and goods, so that's pretty much everything except services that you want to enforce. Not really very free trade but there you go, neither is the EU. But why do you think we need to have the same enforcement between NI and the border to the East?

Post Brexit we could easily maintain different borders - why not? The NI/Ireland border has long been a special case for the UK. If we want (not the EU bloc) we can allow free passage of people and goods over that border. Just like the GFA for the past 20 years, British and Irish nationals come and go, as do goods. There are still unseen customs procedures between two countries with differing tax regimes that function perfectly well. That's pretty much what Ireland wants anyway, so why do Remainers think that shouldn't continue after Brexit?

Not so much head in the sand, as always take a good look under the surface.Related image

For the 657th time. 

Sure, you can do that, but under WTO rules you have to offer that arrangement to all 180 WTO members. No ifs, no buts.

26 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I retired at 47 having planned (I thought....) everything.

Things went horribly wrong, and I was suddenly short of income :sad:.

Happy to say that thanks to landlord, brother and friend - I managed to stay here, and then ex died and my own pensions 'kicked in', so that I'm now comfortable financially and have absolutely no need or desire to work.

But it taught me a lesson - never ASSUME anything.

Sorry about your loss but glad you are comfortable.

Best wishes to Muttley.

On 2/9/2019 at 1:08 PM, Loiner said:

Entirely possible to treat different borders with different countries in different ways. 
The backstop is only an EU/May construct to frustrate Brexit, remember?

Wrong. On 29th March the situation on the is;and of Ireland will change, the ROI will be in the single market and NI will not. International law dictates that the border regulations on the Irish border are consistent with all other borders between the EU and a non member state.

The conundrum is how to make an effectively hard border look like an open border, and we all know how that is progressing.

28 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Sorry about your loss but glad you are comfortable.

Best wishes to Muttley.

Thank you, but no need to be sorry about the loss of my ex.  He let me down badly at the worst possible time, and having been together for 30 years, I seriously disliked him for this - whilst still (as it turned out) caring about him.  i.e. when it became obvious that he had a serious medical problem, my attitude towards him softened, and I tried to help.

He never gave up on the idea of us being 'best friends' :sad:.....

The loss of two of my 'muttleys' has affected me far more badly.

32 minutes ago, Loiner said:

And you think Leavers are morons?????????

Many of those I meet seem to be. Actually they are just not the brightest bulbs in the box so I wouldn’t call them morons. 

Get it right:

The backstop is not caused by Brexit.

Again, I am explaining to you: The backstop is a solution to a problem caused by Brexit. A solution doesn’t have a cause; a problem has. Get it right. 

It's an imaginary problem

What problem is “imaginary”?

invented by Merkel & May for the Remain campaign.

The EU wants to keep their beneficial trade status quo and our 39Bn. Especially the 39Bn. It could well do with out our membership and MEPs often interfering with their master plan, so May's capitulation by BRINO kills two UK birds with one EU stone. 

You really mastered to throw all your nonsense into one big bowl to stir it together to make an even bigger nonsense. And I’m pretty sure enough Brexiteers will willingly eat from your big bowl of nonsense. And then you’re complaining when people call you uneducated and informed?

7 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Many of those I meet seem to be. Actually they are just not the brightest bulbs in the box so I wouldn’t call them morons. 

Again, I am explaining to you: The backstop is a solution to a problem caused by Brexit. A solution doesn’t have a cause; a problem has. Get it right. 

What problem is “imaginary”?

You really mastered to throw all your nonsense into one big bowl to stir it together to make an even bigger nonsense. And I’m pretty sure enough Brexiteers will willingly eat from your big bowl of nonsense. And then you’re complaining when people call you uneducated and informed?

"Many of those I meet seem to be. Actually they are just not the brightest bulbs in the box"

Know what you mean, as many of the remainers on this thread are far from "the brightest bulbs in the box"....

The rest of your post doesn't deserve a reply.

29 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Thank you, but no need to be sorry about the loss of my ex.  He let me down badly at the worst possible time, and having been together for 30 years, I seriously disliked him for this - whilst still (as it turned out) caring about him.  i.e. when it became obvious that he had a serious medical problem, my attitude towards him softened, and I tried to help.

He never gave up on the idea of us being 'best friends' :sad:.....

The loss of two of my 'muttleys' has affected me far more badly.

Know what you mean. We've had 25 hounds over the years. Only 5 left and the youngest is 10 now.

1 hour ago, samran said:

So despite my gut warning me not to, I watched the Farage speech, but vomited a little with the Christian zealot fanboys.

So Farage’s demand was ‘EU give us a 2 year tariff and quota free period’ 

The problem with this is you are outside the EU as of a few weeks. The  EU offer this to no one, unless of course you sign up to being a member. So why should they do you a special deal. Wasn’t your chant ‘out means out’.

Well. Suck it up and live with what you asked for. 

I also watched it (2nd time now).

The speech would have been better if he had not mentioned those 39b pounds,

completely unnecessary and drags the whole speech down to the primary school level.

"Buy me that ice cream or else!!!"

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

I voted UKIP at the referendum, switched tactically to the Tories at the snap election as UKIP stood no chance and I will take a long hard look at the party that Nigel Farage has joined for the next vote. 

I have just registered with the "Brexit Party".

https://www.thebrexitparty.org/

and with that BP registration,

what do you hope or wish to achieve?

please, just very curious-not critical,

days without learning smth new are wasted days

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Ex Brexit Ministers reveal the truth of how they were constantly overruled by Number 10 Downing St.

this is both frightening and sickening

ex ministers crying for sick mamas and sick buffaloes

quite some bunch of politicians you enjoy in the UK

5 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

this is both frightening and sickening

ex ministers crying for sick mamas and sick buffaloes

quite some bunch of politicians you enjoy in the UK

These are the MPs that want to enact the wishes of what the majority voted for, the public are getting sick and tired of being brushed aside, lied to and having to listen to the likes of Soubry and Boles. If they don't want to give us what we voted for, well why don't they stop fudging and come clean and say so. Nobody voted for a remainers Brexit, nobody voted for all this cloak and dagger Brexit. 

Now Ken Clarke is having clandestine tryst with the speaker of the house Bercow, one can only guess what they are colluding between themselves. The whole system stinks, and when someone like Nigel Farage comes on the scene, a very intelligent and a natural born leader it's no wonder remainers show a dislike to him, he's a man that appeals to people who don't like being lied to.

Hopefully this fiasco will bring about a change to British politics, because at the moment it is worse than useless.

9 minutes ago, vogie said:

These are the MPs that want to enact the wishes of what the majority voted for, the public are getting sick and tired of being brushed aside, lied to and having to listen to the likes of Soubry and Boles. If they don't want to give us what we voted for, well why don't they stop fudging and come clean and say so. Nobody voted for a remainers Brexit, nobody voted for all this cloak and dagger Brexit. 

Now Ken Clarke is having clandestine tryst with the speaker of the house Bercow, one can only guess what they are colluding between themselves. The whole system stinks, and when someone like Nigel Farage comes on the scene, a very intelligent and a natural born leader it's no wonder remainers show a dislike to him, he's a man that appeals to people who don't like being lied to.

Hopefully this fiasco will bring about a change to British politics, because at the moment it is worse than useless.

I understand that. This is still totally sick.

They did not manage to survive with PM and cabinet politics and got ditched.

Fine.

Leave it at that. Don't complain later that PM did not fancy their views on politics,

this is just childish and sick.

These guys have nothing to do at upper shelf politics, they are waste.

(if something like that happened in Norway half the population would fall over puking)

2 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Fine.

Leave it at that. Don't complain later that PM did not fancy their views on politics,

(if something like that happened in Norway half the population would fall over puking)

"Leave it at that. Don't complain later that PM did not fancy their views on politics,

this is just childish and sick"

In all fairness melvin, do you think the PM really fancied the views of anybody.

May is simply not a leader nor a negotiator. What happened nearly three years happened, it cannot be changed. So when some MPs try to accomodate the wishes of the majority of the electorate that voted to leave, don't expect the leavers to be hostile to the MPs that are speaking up for them, it simply won't happen. It's totally pathetic what is happening in the HoC, maybe Nigel Farage should give PM May a masterclass in being a leader, unfortunately I think Corbyn is beyond that stage.

This is the most crucial time in British history for a very long time and all we have is these excuses for MPs doing their damnest to screw it up.

15 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Fine.

These people weren't fired. They all resigned and that's because they weren't allowed to the jobs that they were given to do by May. It is May who is sick. It is May who has wasted time, hoping that the referendum can will get blown off the road by incessant gusts of anti Brexit winds.  

37 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Fine.

Davis was given a new dept and told to get on with it. O(i)lly Robbins (unelected civil servant) was allowed to undermine him at every step which IMO should have lead to resignations inc that of the PM if found to have been behind it.

I can't think of a bigger ballsup since Profumo.

3 hours ago, samran said:

For the 657th time. 

Sure, you can do that, but under WTO rules you have to offer that arrangement to all 180 WTO members. No ifs, no buts.

Please go back and check, cos i don't think it is.

Who is to say that the UK wouldn't offer the same WTO rules? We will be trading with the whole world. The constant Remainer wail "It's too difficult." does not wash. You all spend too much effort trying to make problems and looking for 'rules' to prevent Brexit.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Wrong. On 29th March the situation on the is;and of Ireland will change, the ROI will be in the single market and NI will not. International law dictates that the border regulations on the Irish border are consistent with all other borders between the EU and a non member state.

The conundrum is how to make an effectively hard border look like an open border, and we all know how that is progressing.

Not wrong. Trade could continue under current arrangements until a FTA is made. There could be a waiver with WTO, or we could just carry on until another country complained. So long as we have left the EU, by the time any complaint was at the International Court we should have an agreement on the border non-issue.

It's only not progressing at this time because the Remain lobby in UK parliament, Dublin and the EU like the idea that it's an unsolvable conundrum.

Archived