Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

22 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Please go back and check, cos i don't think it is.

Who is to say that the UK wouldn't offer the same WTO rules? We will be trading with the whole world. The constant Remainer wail "It's too difficult." does not wash. You all spend too much effort trying to make problems and looking for 'rules' to prevent Brexit.

Hard to imagine that the UK would be willing to have zero tariffs in trade with all WTO-Members. Or to just ignore the rules as long as there is no court ruling on a Member’s complaint, as you seem to suggest in another reply......

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Not wrong. Trade could continue under current arrangements until a FTA is made. There could be a waiver with WTO, or we could just carry on until another country complained. So long as we have left the EU, by the time any complaint was at the International Court we should have an agreement on the border non-issue.

It's only not progressing at this time because the Remain lobby in UK parliament, Dublin and the EU like the idea that it's an unsolvable conundrum.

No. It can't continue under current arrangements. We will no longer be a member of the single market. The whole legal basis for our trade with the EU has changed. 

Try going into Costco after your membership has expired and explaining you want to continue with the previous arrangement but not be a member 

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

These people weren't fired. They all resigned and that's because they weren't allowed to the jobs that they were given to do by May. It is May who is sick. It is May who has wasted time, hoping that the referendum can will get blown off the road by incessant gusts of anti Brexit winds.  

the line between being fired and resigning is pretty thin at this level

point is, they couldn't work within the cabinet - their fault not May's - she is the boss

PMs command of the cabinet and cabinet politics must be respected-at all cost, that is one of the crucial elements

keeping UK democracy together, that failing - UK is on the slope pointing sharply downwards

not happy with PM and her doings? ditch her

however, it is very clear that UK politicians just love her 

weird,

going gets a bit tough Tory,  including unruly mob, and DUP, and even Farage rally behind her.

temperature down

they all say

PM is piss artist

PM is piss artist

PM is piss artist

this ain't sound at all

the guys in that video should never ever be MP again, they lack understanding of the fundamentals

2 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

this is both frightening and sickening

ex ministers crying for sick mamas and sick buffaloes

quite some bunch of politicians you enjoy in the UK

Not sure whether this exists in English language, but where I come from we know a feeling of shame

or embarrassment that you have when you’re watching someone else making a fool out of himself so much that you’re feeling embarrassed and ashamed on his behalf. My dictionary calls is second-hand embarrassment. 

Watching leaders whining like little kids that no one is enthusiastically following them is just so sad. What’s the job of a leader if not uniting people behind a shared vision? Of course, you need a compelling vision for that in the first place. People can smell when an idea is just a castle in the sky or complete nonsense. That’s why good leaders never take such jobs, whereas David Davis burns himself and then cries in front of cameras. Sad bunch of losers. 

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

Please go back and check, cos i don't think it is.

Who is to say that the UK wouldn't offer the same WTO rules? We will be trading with the whole world. The constant Remainer wail "It's too difficult." does not wash. You all spend too much effort trying to make problems and looking for 'rules' to prevent Brexit.

Fantasy land stuff.

As if the world won’t care. They’d retaliate in a heartbeat, and they’d be totally within their rights to leave british goods rotting at a port.  So so much for your strategy for dragging it out in court. 

As if your local industries and consumers won’t be complaining when fifth rate pesticide laden Chinese vegetables get to come through the border on the same basis as EU product. 

3 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

and with that BP registration,

what do you hope or wish to achieve?

please, just very curious-not critical,

days without learning smth new are wasted days

Probably nothing.

It will depend on when the next election or referendum will come along and if a candidate will stand in the constituency where my current (Tory) MP stands.

At the referendum I voted for UKIP as I did 2 general elections ago. At that election when NF was the UKIP leader, UKIP came from nowhere and took 3rd place. When NF left UKIP there was nobody who could take his place so UKIP went through more leadership changes than the Tories went through Brexit ministers.

Nowadays UKIP are a fragmented party and attract less supporters.

I thing of the things I like about NF is that he does his best all the time, unlike today's politicians in the UK who seem to have 3 or 4 agendas going at the same time, and TBH I wouldn't more that 5 baht for the lot of them.

1 hour ago, vogie said:

"Leave it at that. Don't complain later that PM did not fancy their views on politics,

this is just childish and sick"

In all fairness melvin, do you think the PM really fancied the views of anybody.

May is simply not a leader nor a negotiator. What happened nearly three years happened, it cannot be changed. So when some MPs try to accomodate the wishes of the majority of the electorate that voted to leave, don't expect the leavers to be hostile to the MPs that are speaking up for them, it simply won't happen. It's totally pathetic what is happening in the HoC, maybe Nigel Farage should give PM May a masterclass in being a leader, unfortunately I think Corbyn is beyond that stage.

This is the most crucial time in British history for a very long time and all we have is these excuses for MPs doing their damnest to screw it up.

since you ask, the way I read it, no I don't think so

but that does not change ANYTHING

PMs role and PMs command of cabinet and its politics is the kernel in UK

democracy - it is VITAL,

if people (read politicians) are not happy - ditch her

don't have the guts to ditch her - respect her and her role and her command

don't boomboom with the role of the PM and PM's cabinet

that is the kernel of the UK democracy

parliament is just waste if you dont have a functional PM/cabinet

don't appreciate the PM/Cabinet - ditch it

don't dilute it and its role

the PM and the cab is the glue in UK democracy - do respect it and protect it

parliament? lube to prevent overheating and breakdowns

upper house - maybe some vestigial sound comments

See DD?, I said dilute rather than bb

2 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

But we do have the opportunity of voting them out at the next election.

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Probably nothing.

It will depend on when the next election or referendum will come along and if a candidate will stand in the constituency where my current (Tory) MP stands.

At the referendum I voted for UKIP as I did 2 general elections ago. At that election when NF was the UKIP leader, UKIP came from nowhere and took 3rd place. When NF left UKIP there was nobody who could take his place so UKIP went through more leadership changes than the Tories went through Brexit ministers.

Nowadays UKIP are a fragmented party and attract less supporters.

I thing of the things I like about NF is that he does his best all the time, unlike today's politicians in the UK who seem to have 3 or 4 agendas going at the same time, and TBH I wouldn't more that 5 baht for the lot of them.

thanks a heap billd766

when reading this with my Norwegian eyes I understand that you joined this

newly established party more because you cannot identify with the existing parties

rather than expecting wonders from the new birth.

agree with you that Farage is by and large fairly consistent

you know,

foggy island needs more people like you

not happy with parties of yesterday - join the new ones

32 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But we do have the opportunity of voting them out at the next election.

yes, you do

but I think recent history shows that the electorate has short memory

most of the undesirable chaps will reappear

NHS has a challenge re Alzheimer

14 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

thanks a heap billd766

when reading this with my Norwegian eyes I understand that you joined this

newly established party more because you cannot identify with the existing parties

rather than expecting wonders from the new birth.

agree with you that Farage is by and large fairly consistent

you know,

foggy island needs more people like you

not happy with parties of yesterday - join the new ones

Someone referred to the two parties, Lab and Con as

'two cheeks of the same arss.

Whichever party we have voted for, nothing really changes.

10 hours ago, tebee said:

It's the only viable solution to the border post nodeal - the GFA mandates a referendum on a united Ireland if there appears to be a majority for this and polls show that in the case of no deal there would be. 

Unionists are stupid - their policies will result in the very thing they don't want.

If the Irish want reunification I don't think there would be much opposition to that from the rest of the UK. I didn't know about the GFA mandate for a referendum. 

But surely if the only concerns are goods/people moving illegally from the EU to NI (because beyond NI checks would be made at the UK ports), the risks are small enough to only warrant some minor operational changes. Barnier said himself that is what they'd do. 

1 hour ago, tebee said:

No. It can't continue under current arrangements. We will no longer be a member of the single market. The whole legal basis for our trade with the EU has changed. 

Try going into Costco after your membership has expired and explaining you want to continue with the previous arrangement but not be a member 

Costco membership at 50/60 gbp is a loser unless you

spend the right amount. it could be considered to be a

crafty loyalty card by some.

37 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

If the Irish want reunification I don't think there would be much opposition to that from the rest of the UK. I didn't know about the GFA mandate for a referendum. 

But surely if the only concerns are goods/people moving illegally from the EU to NI (because beyond NI checks would be made at the UK ports), the risks are small enough to only warrant some minor operational changes. Barnier said himself that is what they'd do. 

Well if further checks had to be made at UK ports then you’d be treating NI differently to the rest of the UK, precisely what the DUP don’t want. 

1 hour ago, tebee said:

As I understand it under Article 24 of the WTO, two parties can agree to maintain current tariff and custom arrangements for a reasonable period of time (2-10 years seems to be the expected period), to allow the two sides to work out their future trading relationship. 

This would mean that the UK could leave the EU as planned on 29th March with minimal disruption to trade, no issues with the Irish border, and have at least another 2 years to agree a comprehensive FTA with the EU. 

Article 24 would require both parties to sign up, and I can think of no reasons why the EU wouldn't agree to this. Perhaps they might insist on the UK continuing to pay some contributions to the EU budget. 

This seems like the ideal solution to me assuming it is true - and I've heard nobody disputing it so far. 

5 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

As I understand it under Article 24 of the WTO, two parties can agree to maintain current tariff and custom arrangements for a reasonable period of time (2-10 years seems to be the expected period), to allow the two sides to work out their future trading relationship. 

This would mean that the UK could leave the EU as planned on 29th March with minimal disruption to trade, no issues with the Irish border, and have at least another 2 years to agree a comprehensive FTA with the EU. 

Article 24 would require both parties to sign up, and I can think of no reasons why the EU wouldn't agree to this. Perhaps they might insist on the UK continuing to pay some contributions to the EU budget. 

This seems like the ideal solution to me assuming it is true - and I've heard nobody disputing it so far. 

That's a fundamental misunderstanding of how that article is meant to work.

read this 

4 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

and these are the politicians the leave voters tell us are going to make Britain Great again,they live in a fantasy world.

6 hours ago, nauseus said:

If these statements really are false, then I would say they are more akin to remainer tactics.

I loved this one: "sovereignty-sucking"! ????

Fair enough

I do think it is unacceptable to portray actors reading scripts written for them as genuine. Poor show

I have never seen this sort of thing from the Remain camp. Have you? 

6 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I retired at 47 having planned (I thought....) everything.

Things went horribly wrong, and I was suddenly short of income :sad:.

Happy to say that thanks to landlord, brother and friend - I managed to stay here, and then ex died and my own pensions 'kicked in', so that I'm now comfortable financially and have absolutely no need or desire to work.

But it taught me a lesson - never ASSUME anything.

I thought it might have taught you another lesson - be kind and generous to others. That's Karma; not something that appears in The Brexit Lexicon.

34 minutes ago, tebee said:

That's a fundamental misunderstanding of how that article is meant to work.

read this 

Without us having to read through the entire legal text, what are the basic arguments against it? I haven't heard a single public statement from anyone opposed to it explaining in basic terms why it doesn't hold water. 

3 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I thought it might have taught you another lesson - be kind and generous to others. That's Karma; not something that appears in The Brexit Lexicon.

dick sounds like a scrounger to me,having to rely on others at 47 is shocking,typical leave voter 

5 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Many of those I meet seem to be. Actually they are just not the brightest bulbs in the box so I wouldn’t call them morons. 

Again, I am explaining to you: The backstop is a solution to a problem caused by Brexit. A solution doesn’t have a cause; a problem has. Get it right. 

What problem is “imaginary”?

You really mastered to throw all your nonsense into one big bowl to stir it together to make an even bigger nonsense. And I’m pretty sure enough Brexiteers will willingly eat from your big bowl of nonsense. And then you’re complaining when people call you uneducated and informed?

This one is so ------- I had to put him on ignore to avoid damage to my iPhone....

5 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

"Many of those I meet seem to be. Actually they are just not the brightest bulbs in the box"

Know what you mean, as many of the remainers on this thread are far from "the brightest bulbs in the box"....

The rest of your post doesn't deserve a reply.

That's just a childish retort.

There is a clear difference between the knowledge and intellect of average leavers and Remainers as we witness here regularly. That worries me and the result of this is clear to see. Whether superior knowledge and intellect is always a good thing, I couldn't say.

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

That's just a childish retort.

There is a clear difference between the knowledge and intellect of average leavers and Remainers as we witness here regularly. That worries me and the result of this is clear to see. Whether superior knowledge and intellect is always a good thing, I couldn't say.

"Whether superior knowledge and intellect is always a good thing, I couldn't say."

Oh I'm sure you could if you tried, it's never stopped you before.

40 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Fair enough

I do think it is unacceptable to portray actors reading scripts written for them as genuine. Poor show

I have never seen this sort of thing from the Remain camp. Have you? 

It is indeed surprising considering everyone in the Remain camp is a prima donna actor

Archived