Jump to content
BANGKOK 23 March 2019 13:18
webfact

Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

Recommended Posts

guys, a question

 

I am now looking again at TMs latest HoC performance

 

I wonder

 

when you look at TMs face/front,

on the bench to the right of her, there is a relatively tall and slim chap

who is he?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

guys, a question

 

I am now looking again at TMs latest HoC performance

 

I wonder

 

when you look at TMs face/front,

on the bench to the right of her, there is a relatively tall and slim chap

who is he?

 

 

Hammond to the right, Lidington left?

theresa_may_survives_confidence_vote_of_tory_mps.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, aright said:

Yes David Lidington MP for Aylesbury . 

Should have been on Question Time last night!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I missed it, I was in the grip of the grape at the time but will catch up on I Player. Anything to report?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, aright said:

I missed it, I was in the grip of the grape at the time but will catch up on I Player. Anything to report?

Mogg was on form but overall it wasn't a particularly gripping episode.

HTH

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Correct. If there’s one thing the EU must be scared about, and one thing the UK has in terms of negotiating power, it’s the right to cancel A50. The biggest nightmare for the EU is not a no-deal; a big club can easily manage that. The biggest nightmare is ending up with that failed democracy, that divided nation and all its lunatics wracking our countries and blocking our future the same way they did with the UK. 

 

The number one priority for the EU now must be to get the UK out, so it cannot use the A50 cancellation anymore. The second priority would be to let the UK leave with a deal to make things easier. 

 

So, I am almost inclined to argue in favor of giving in on the backstop. Making some concessions there and getting the deal through parliament would remove the biggest threat from the process, which is an A50 cancellation. After that, we would be in the same situation as now, I.e. the UK begging for a trade agreement, but without any negotiating power, and without anything to threaten with. 

 

And I actually think that’s the EU’s current negotiating strategy. They will probably make some concessions last minute to achieve exactly that. They are just holding back until the last minute so that there’s more pressure and less chance to add other things to the negotiation. 

You could actually be right. Which is all the more reason why it was ridiculous to agree to pay £39bn to the EU without  a guaranteed trade deal. 

 

I disagree that the UK would have no negotiating power on a trade deal though. If the withdrawal agreement goes through your EU masters will be satisfied they achieved a sort of victory, and then give us a FTA because it's in both sides' interests. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

555. Beware what you say here. All those who have been living in thailand for several years know the currency development of the pound exactly.

You're neglecting the fact that the THB has been growing in strength over the past 5 years or so. The recent correction of the pound (it was over valued) has added to the difficulties for UK expats in LOS, but it is not the main cause. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

You could actually be right. Which is all the more reason why it was ridiculous to agree to pay £39bn to the EU without  a guaranteed trade deal. 

 

I disagree that the UK would have no negotiating power on a trade deal though. If the withdrawal agreement goes through your EU masters will be satisfied they achieved a sort of victory, and then give us a FTA because it's in both sides' interests. 

don't make an issue of that

nobody is interested in that money any longer

 

39 b pound is small money in the UK and small money in the EU

 

events have overtaken interest in that sum long ago

 

now it just serves as a debate trigger

 

 

Edited by melvinmelvin
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spanish prime minister calls snap election after budget fails to pass

  • Spain will elect a new government after the Socialist Workers' Party failed to pass its 2019 budget.
  • The vote will be held on the April 28th.
  • The door could now open for a radical right-wing party to take seats in the Spanish Congress.

This could present a major problem for Spain and the EU.

 

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/15/spanish-prime-minister-calls-snap-election-after-budget-fails-to-pass.html

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, aright said:

Spanish prime minister calls snap election after budget fails to pass

  • Spain will elect a new government after the Socialist Workers' Party failed to pass its 2019 budget.
  • The vote will be held on the April 28th.
  • The door could now open for a radical right-wing party to take seats in the Spanish Congress.

This could present a major problem for Spain and the EU.

 

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/15/spanish-prime-minister-calls-snap-election-after-budget-fails-to-pass.html

 

 

and what would the possible bearings be on Spain and Gib?

and Castilla and the Catalan separatists?

 

 

Edited by melvinmelvin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...