BANGKOK 19 March 2019 14:49
webfact

Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

On 2/19/2019 at 1:51 PM, dick dasterdly said:

Probably nearly as "flustered" as you and another poster, who seem to think brexiteers care about having a blue passport 😀!

Don’t forget you’ll also get your bendy bananas back. No more EU bureaucrats telling you how bendy they need be.

• Haha 1

On 2/19/2019 at 11:11 AM, wilcopops said:

Well they DID vote LEAVE didn't they? I don't think most Brexiteers realized that's what they meant, though.

They didn't vote to crash the car though.

12 minutes ago, samran said:

It was a figure of speech. 

But thanks for highlighting to us how long trade deals do actually take. Kinda bursts the bubble of brexiter fantasyland that they’ll be able to sign off a plethora of trade deals just as soon as they rid themselves of the shackles of the EU.

What I mean though is that with the heft of the EU behind you, you can push through substantive trade arrangements. If you are on your own, you just can’t. 

Australia and Thailand have been slugging it out on whether Australian avocados can be sold here.

It’s taken a couple of years, and they are still only talking about it. One product, avocado’s F.F.S and all because Thailand won’t recognise a certain procedure in Australia which verifies they are free from a particular pest. 

But when the EU red flagged Thailand over slavery in its shrimp supply chain - at the risk of cutting off lucrative EU markets, the Thai government pulled out all stops to address the problem. They changed laws left right and centre for the EU. 

That will all be gone for you guys. Get used to squabbling over how many jars of jellied eels the Chinese will let you export tariff free. And that discussion taking 4 years. 

But the EU/Canada deal had to be approved by all 28 nations for it to pass. When there are only 2 nations involved surely it will be a lot easier and many years quicker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, samran said:

Don’t forget you’ll also get your bendy bananas back. No more EU bureaucrats telling you how bendy they need be.

I eat bendy bananas every day, either from my garden, my neighbours garden, from the local market or form the Thai family depending on what they have.

That is why a bunch of bananas are called a hand, simply because in their natural state they follow the shape of the human hand.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But the EU/Canada deal had to be approved by all 28 nations for it to pass. When there are only 2 nations involved surely it will be a lot easier and many years quicker.

No.

Thailand and Malaysia can’t even agree to let each other’s tour busses and lorries enter each other territory beyond certain limits.

Thai cars aren’t even allowed onto Vietnamese roads. 

Australia cant negotiate to get a higher quota of beef into thailand tariff free. Under current rules the tariff free quota is snapped up by the 10th of January each year.

That FTA was scheduled - as per the actual FTA text - to be reviewed 4 years ago. Do you think they’ve even had a meeting?

Silly examples such as this are much more the norm of the brave new world you are entering. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

That’s not the way these things work in the EU. When the actual negotiations start, the - still - 28 Member States have already reached agreement on the framework and the desired content/scope/limits of the FTA. On that basis, the Commission gets a mandate to negotiate. Member States are permanently informed about the ongoing negotiations and have the power to change the approach, if and when deemed necessary. So they won’t be confronted with nasty surprises after these negotiations. Ratification can indeed be time-consuming, especially so when a government has failed to properly inform parliament about what was ongoing.

Edited by damascase
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

As we can see in the current negotiations between the 27 EU and 1-4 UK countries.

Edited by welovesundaysatspace

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I eat bendy bananas every day, either from my garden, my neighbours garden, from the local market or form the Thai family depending on what they have.

That is why a bunch of bananas are called a hand, simply because in their natural state they follow the shape of the human hand.

I have to hand it to you there, Bill. 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posts violating Fair Use Policy and replies removed.  

12 hours ago, SheungWan said:

They didn't vote to crash the car though.

The misdirected English car crashed in '73.

And the English car industry collapsed when you sold

your Allegro.

• Haha 1

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:25 PM, simoh1490 said:

We, as a country, pay 1 Billion Pounds a week in interest because we were forced to borrow money to cover the deficit left to the country at the time the last Labour governement left office in 2010.....and you want to see Labour voted in again! Really!

ukgs_chartDp11t.png

Bureaucrats cannot be voted out of office in the UK too.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:21 PM, aright said:

It's true the EU economy has grown in size but unfortunately not in proportion to the market size. Put bluntly they have lost market share. The world economy did not get significantly larger In 24 hours, there were long term signs,  and in business terms no CEO would excuse a Sales Director who lost 5% of market share in a growing market.

And the UK is expecting to take away EU market share by grabbing its business with Bangladesh!