Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, damascase said:

No, I have no crystal ball, but none of this is going to happen if a Member State does not want it. If you understand how the EU works, you should now that such major decisions require unanimity.

And everyone knows about Mission Creep and how The EU has moved gradually from unanimity to qualified majority voting for EU Foreign Policy Tax is next on the list for qualified majority voting

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/beta-political/files/soteu2018-factsheet-qmv_en.pdf

The end game for the EU is everything will be decided by qualified majority voting

3 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

And everyone knows about Mission Creep and how The EU has moved gradually from unanimity to qualified majority voting for EU Foreign Policy Tax is next on the list for qualified majority voting

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/beta-political/files/soteu2018-factsheet-qmv_en.pdf

The end game for the EU is everything will be decided by qualified majority voting

3 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Again, one vote of an elected government against is all that is needed to prevent a subject being moved from unanimity to qualified majority voting. 

7 minutes ago, damascase said:

Again, one vote of an elected government against is all that is needed to prevent a subject being moved from unanimity to qualified majority voting. 

And you are stating the current status not the potential future status hence my comment

Do you have a crystal ball that can 100% guarantee that the Eu army question or the requirement for the UK joining the Euro isn't go to happen in the next 45 years

On 12/29/2018 at 8:39 PM, owl sees all said:

Phone him up on a Friday Evening and put that to him.

Well George G  cant deny selling his house for a near  1/2 million ( pre Brexit ) pounds because it is a matter of fact .

Regarding the "Mariam "  iraq "unregistered ' charity some 84 k was apparently paid to his wife !

Nothing  else  to say really , the question was whether he was a true working mans friend  , democrate and Brexit supporter .

Only the last  one fits with me -and only for the time being I would imagine .

48 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Indeed, the democratic (not Democratic; that's an American political party) will of the people must be respected.

Which is why they should be given a say on the final deal; as I suggested earlier.

As you are so much in favour of democracy, why are you so afraid of giving them that democratic choice?

A question oft asked, but each and every one of you Brexiteers never answer it.

Don't waffle on, yet again, about time scales; answer the simple question.

Why are you afraid of holding a second referendum now, or rather after a final deal has been reached between the UK and EU?

Because the P.M of the day, Cameron promised that the Democratic will of the people would be implemented. This was further enforced when the two major political parties included this commitment in their election manifesto for the 2017 General election.

Why should we hold another referendum to uphold the result of the people’s referendum of 2016. And the 2017 G.E.  Next you’ll be suggesting that should the Conservatives retain power at the next G.E. That it would be understandably for Labour to demand a re-vote. Likewise should Labour gain power, then the Conservatives would be in order to demand a re- vote, stating that the electorate did not know what they where voting for.

Is’t it about time that you and your fellow remoaners stopped this incessant waffle,in trying  to argue for a re-run of the Democratic peoples vote, and simple accept their decision. Or are you incapable of understanding,what the alternative could be.

7 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Because the P.M of the day, Cameron promised that the Democratic will of the people would be implemented. This was further enforced when the two major political parties included this commitment in their election manifesto for the 2017 General election.

Why should we hold another referendum to uphold the result of the people’s referendum of 2016. And the 2017 G.E.  Next you’ll be suggesting that should the Conservatives retain power at the next G.E. That it would be understandably for Labour to demand a re-vote. Likewise should Labour gain power, then the Conservatives would be in order to demand a re- vote, stating that the electorate did not know what they where voting for.

Is’t it about time that you and your fellow remoaners stopped this incessant waffle,in trying  to argue for a re-run of the Democratic peoples vote, and simple accept their decision. Or are you incapable of understanding,what the alternative could be.

The vote was manipulated. A democracy cannot rely on or implement manipulated votes. The vote has to be declared void and maybe re-run under fair conditions. Of course, the manipulators don’t want that, that’s why they are fighting against it. 

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

So there we have it; a Remainer is allowed to change his mind, Brexiteers aren't!

Boris changed his mind before the campaigning started. If that had no effect on how people voted, why have a campaign in the first place?

If the campaign had no effect on how people voted, why the obsession with the so called 'Project Fear' displayed by so many Brexiteers?

As a leaver I haven't changed my mind.

I don't fear another referendum but I do object to the Remain campaign demanding one at this point as the original referendum has not been enacted yet.

Let that one be finished, and THEN propose a new one or are the Remainers worried that they may lose the second referendum before the first has been completed?

3 hours ago, 7by7 said:

@evadgib,

I wont comment on your poor mathematics in saying that November 2014 to June 2016 is "more than 2 years!"

But I see that you haven't commented on my response to you about Boris's ambivalence towards Brexit.

Namely

Of course, you are not obliged to respond; but let me phrase it as a question.

As you defended Boris's change of mind within a two week period over Brexit from Remain to Leave, why do you wish to deny the British people the opportunity to do the same, i.e. change their mind, via a second referendum?

If you are so sure that Brexit is in the best interests of the country and supported by the majority; why are you so afraid of a second referendum?

(OK, that's two questions. I'm asking the second again because it's been asked many times in various topics, but has yet to be answered!)

Of course, I would be interested in answers to these questions from any Brexiteer, not just evadgib.

Real answers, @nontabury, not dodging the issue with a childish comment and image.

Boris is often assumed to be chasing a winning side, but he does have a certain following across the social divide. I as a leaver didn't trust him in any case, but my opinion. However, nor did I trust Cleg, and the remainers.

However, I have a few questions to answer?

If we have a second referendum will we then have a third will it be best of three?

Will it be equally financed so that both sides have the same spend, unlike last time when remain had much more?

Will we stop big foreign billionaire money funding the remain lobby? Will they return the money already taken?

Will remain be honest about the immense risks, with well remaining, think EU army which is dangerous as only the UK, France and Lithuania contribute a fair share of GDP to their armed forces?

How much forward debt are the EU not telling us about? Like the 39 billion we are suposed to owe? I can't remember any remainers telling us that the EU was running up debt behind our backs ?

Will we get lots of tax exiles like Branson telling us remaining is best, whilst living in tax  economical domicile?

Will more Soros money flow in? 

Will Blair ever be convicted of war crimes? He's the biggest bennefit leave have whenever he speaks.

How much will we actually be paying the EU moving forward? Lots of hidden cost?

lots of questions remain do not want to discuss?

But,  here is another one who doesn't know what side he's on Comrade Corbyn?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46721507

33 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I don't fear another referendum but I do object to the Remain campaign demanding one at this point as the original referendum has not been enacted yet.

Let that one be finished, and THEN propose a new one or are the Remainers worried that they may lose the second referendum before the first has been completed?

Actually I couldn't agree more how can we have another referendum when the first has not been completed? We don't have another general election  before the new government is installed, just because the EU didn't like the first?

The EU has form on this and disregarding and undermining the results of referendums, and our political class do the same even when their constituents voted leave but ' they know best'.

May fell into their trap and negotiated with the EU in the first place she should have gone straight to WTO rules, the remainers undermined her negotiating position by going to Brussels and most likely doing backroom deals, where's Cleg the great patriot remainer? Now working for Facebook utilising his EU contacts.

On WTO rules we could have stopped paying into the EU gravy chain, made 10-15 billion of the EU in tariffs and lower the cost of living by doing trade deals, without EU tariffs driving our prices up?

https://brexitcentral.com/world-trade-deal-brexit-wto-terms-highly-advantageous/

What would remain do if they did lose, as I don't know anyone who has changed from leave to remain despite project fear run by our gracious leaders? But, people don't discuss voting leave as much as remainers as there is some real nasty tactics used by self rituous know best remain fanatics. However, like the Great Donald's win in the privacy of the ballot box they will vote leave as before!

I would suggest people best start having some faith in their country without giving away our historical won freedoms from the tyranny of being controlled by a foreign power!

Actually second referendum bring it on! When we win again remain will need best of 5!

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

Indeed, the democratic (not Democratic; that's an American political party) will of the people must be respected.

Which is why they should be given a say on the final deal; as I suggested earlier.

As you are so much in favour of democracy, why are you so afraid of giving them that democratic choice?

A question oft asked, but each and every one of you Brexiteers never answer it.

Don't waffle on, yet again, about time scales; answer the simple question.

Why are you afraid of holding a second referendum now, or rather after a final deal has been reached between the UK and EU?

Why do we not want another referendum, because we had one and until it's enacted there is nothing to vote on. The only referendum I would support is one in which the choices were leave with no deal or leave with the poor deal May has negotiated. Frankly I'm sick of hearing childish whining from remoaner scum demanding a second referendum because the first one didn't go the way they wanted it to.

8 minutes ago, Patriot1066 said:

I would suggest people best start having some faith in their country without giving away our historical won freedoms from the tyranny of being controlled by a foreign power!

......the tyranny of being controlled by a foreign power? Are you referring to the Roman Empire?

43 minutes ago, Chartist said:

Why do we not want another referendum, because we had one and until it's enacted there is nothing to vote on. The only referendum I would support is one in which the choices were leave with no deal or leave with the poor deal May has negotiated. Frankly I'm sick of hearing childish whining from remoaner scum demanding a second referendum because the first one didn't go the way they wanted it to.

+1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

In which case, I would urge you to back May's deal. Yes, it pleases nobody but what else will? The country is roughly split down the middle, so 'winner takes all' is simply not practicable. What other answer can there be, given the deep polarisation of the UK? 

Then there is the question of what will remain of the UK if we can't get our act together...

1 hour ago, Chartist said:

"remoaner scum"

Good thing that name calling like this isn't childish or you would have to be classified as infantile. 

3 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

The vote was manipulated. A democracy cannot rely on or implement manipulated votes. The vote has to be declared void and maybe re-run under fair conditions. Of course, the manipulators don’t want that, that’s why they are fighting against it. 

So You think the vote was manipulated,fair enough, but the same could be said of any vote. And as I’ve already pointed out, in the event of the next G.E not going your way, that could also be contrived by you as a manipulated decision.

Try and accept the Democratic decision of the people,it’s not a hard concept.

2 hours ago, Chartist said:

Enjoy your 30 baht pound HNY from a remoaner scum.....let's hope your dreams of your precious BREXIT  are shattered in 2019.

On 12/31/2018 at 8:30 PM, candide said:

The EU already has or is negotiating free trade agreements with most of its members individually. Mind you, the EU, like USA, prefers to negotiate trade deals with individual (smaller) countries directly, rather than with larger aggregates with higher negotiating power.

But the UK are so hung up on self importance they think they can do better than everyone else.

Time people started to face reality.

12 hours ago, 7by7 said:

With the majority of leavers it is an emotional argument and they do not want reality getting in the way.

How many leavers would advocate major operations or switching off life support be done on the basis of a single test?

Even criminals are entitled to a larger majority result.

11 minutes ago, sandyf said:

With the majority of leavers it is an emotional argument and they do not want reality getting in the way.

How many leavers would advocate major operations or switching off life support be done on the basis of a single test?

Even criminals are entitled to a larger majority result.

A chalk and cheese argument.

You cannot compare life and death with politics.

What would you like - the best of 3 at every general election just because you couldn't trust (didn't like) the first result.

14 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Did I call him scum or anything like that?

'Loon' and 'a nasty piece of work' in this example while failing to address any of his content. Others have been on the receiving end too; with the common denominator being that you despise the fact that we're leaving.

12 minutes ago, evadgib said:

'Loon' and 'a nasty piece of work' in this example while failing to address any of his content. Others have been on the receiving end too; with the common denominator being that you despise the fact that we're leaving.

A lot different from calling people "remoaner scum" for wanting another election.

Loon is a crazy person. And the fact that he was threatening other UK citizens who are exercising their right to be in opposition is the kind of things that a crazed and nasty person would say.

And the European Union's Convention on Human Rights does provide considerably more robust protection for individual Britons' liberty than does that vaporous quantity known as the British Constitution.

Archived