Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

3 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

A lot different from calling people "remoaner scum" for wanting another election.

Loon is a crazy person. And the fact that he was threatening other UK citizens who are exercising their right to be in opposition is the kind of things that a crazed and nasty person would say.

And the European Union's Convention on Human Rights does provide considerably more robust protection for individual Britons' liberty than does that vaporous quantity known as the British Constitution.

Concentrate on posts rather that posters (or their proxies where applicable) as has previously been suggested & if that doesn't work you could try the ol' 'report you to the headmaster' which appears to work quite well in lieu of reasoned debate.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, baboon said:

In which case, I would urge you to back May's deal. Yes, it pleases nobody but what else will? The country is roughly split down the middle, so 'winner takes all' is simply not practicable. What other answer can there be, given the deep polarisation of the UK? 

Then there is the question of what will remain of the UK if we can't get our act together...

Unfortunately neither I, you or anyone else here can back May's deal simply because there is no way that the UK public can do it either.

What I would prefer to see is the current referendum carried out BEFORE another referendum comes along.

Once this one is finished then by all means start another, but first Brexit and work from whatever deal is chosen by parliament, who after all are the people that we elected to do the job for us.

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Unfortunately neither I, you or anyone else here can back May's deal simply because there is no way that the UK public can do it either.

What I would prefer to see is the current referendum carried out BEFORE another referendum comes along.

Once this one is finished then by all means start another, but first Brexit and work from whatever deal is chosen by parliament, who after all are the people that we elected to do the job for us.

Then we are screwed. Another referendum ending in stalemate or a parliament who can't agree between themselves that water is wet. I really don't know where we can go from here.

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Logically that could only mean that once UK is out, it will stay out for good.

When the March 30th comes and UK is out, there is no way UK could rejoin the EU with the same extra privileges, which it has now. 

This would mean that British people will not want to rejoin the EU with worse deal they already had, unless they are really desperate?

One can only wonder what that means to UK's unity. At that time, Scotland has the possibility to decide, will it be a equal member country of UK or EU. Which union will give Scottish people the best possibilities for the future?

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

yes, you have a democratically  elected parliament,

trouble is it doesn't do anything

they leave it entirely up to your unelected remainer PM and her dodgy

cabinet to crap down current and future relations with EU

brexit is a fairly major decision,

one could expect parliament to show some responsibility

rather than letting PM call all the shots as she feels fit

2 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

What would you do if you were an MP desperate to keep your perks? Me, I would probably go with the 'you broke it, you own it' path of least resistance...

11 minutes ago, baboon said:

Then we are screwed. Another referendum ending in stalemate or a parliament who can't agree between themselves that water is wet. I really don't know where we can go from here.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride on the roller coaster.

This month and March will be particularly interesting and the other parts of 2019 will be just interesting. 

8 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Actually Teresa May WAS elected by the largest party in parliament (the Tories) most probably as the rest of the contenders could see that the chalice was poisoned.

What she has done since is entirely her own work.

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Just sit back and enjoy the ride on the roller coaster.

This month and March will be particularly interesting and the other parts of 2019 will be just interesting. 

Clearly you are on a comfortable enough pension to be able to enjoy that ride. A good number of us are not in as fortunate a position.

5 minutes ago, baboon said:

What would you do if you were an MP desperate to keep your perks? Me, I would probably go with the 'you broke it, you own it' path of least resistance...

If I were an MP I would seriously consider what my constituents want as they are the ones who voted for you to become an MP. They too have memories and votes.

2 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Logically that could only mean that once UK is out, it will stay out for good.

When the March 30th comes and UK is out, there is no way UK could rejoin the EU with the same extra privileges, which it has now. 

This would mean that British people will not want to rejoin the EU with worse deal they already had, unless they are really desperate?

One can only wonder what that means to UK's unity. At that time, Scotland has the possibility to decide, will it be a equal member country of UK or EU. Which union will give Scottish people the best possibilities for the future?

- The EU in it's current format will likely implode in the fairly near future.

- Scotland has a very long journey before being considered as first time applicants to the EU & IMO won't ever sit on the top table. EU will treat them as 'also rans' as per the likes of Malta. IMO GB will best thrive on the world stage in it's current (intact) state.

2 minutes ago, baboon said:

Clearly you are on a comfortable enough pension to be able to enjoy that ride. A good number of us are not in as fortunate a position.

I used to be but when I voted to leave I fully expected a drop in the forex rate but I hadn't expected so much for so long.

I will only be comfortable if I win a goodly sum on the Thai lottery.

Indeed, the democratic (not Democratic; that's an American political party) will of the people must be respected.

Which is why they should be given a say on the final deal; as I suggested earlier.

As you are so much in favour of democracy, why are you so afraid of giving them that democratic choice?

A question oft asked, but each and every one of you Brexiteers never answer it.

Don't waffle on, yet again, about time scales; answer the simple question.

Why are you afraid of holding a second referendum now, or rather after a final deal has been reached between the UK and EU?
It's a loaded question, phrased that way, because it assumes the only possible reason a person could have for objecting to a second referendum must be the fear of losing.

I don't FEAR a second referendum. I don't WANT one. My reasoning for that is the exact same reasoning that you would be here giving had remain won and had leave been now trying to overturn the decision. You and all the other remainers would be saying, "look, the decision has been made, the PM promised it was one-off and would be abided by... sorry guys, that's democracy, you lost... if we have another vote so soon, all that will happen is the side that loses will call for another vote and so the cycle will go on".

Implement the 2016 vote first. Then campaign for another vote. At least then the integrity of that vote isn't lost, and at least then the matter of Brexit can be proven one way or the other - success or failure. Then you can say, "look, we gave Brexit a fair shot, we left the EU, things didn't work out, lessons have been learnt, let's vote back in and move forward with this issue put to bed once and for all".

You want to skip all that and just go straight to the part where the 2016 vote gets consigned to history, and you get your way. It won't work. Even if you get another referendum and even if you win it. Even then. You'll still end up losing. Not allowing the 2016 vote to be implemented will come at a great cost, most especially for those who still harbour hopes of Britain remaining in the EU.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I used to be but when I voted to leave I fully expected a drop in the forex rate but I hadn't expected so much for so long.

I fear that soon, 43 Baht to the GBPeso will be considered a golden age...

10 minutes ago, baboon said:

Realigning to the winning side has been the norm for donkeys; notably in English History by the Stanleys @ Bosworth.

18 minutes ago, baboon said:

those people should probably not be in parliament then,

you get the MPs you vote for (apart from the fptp skew)

the ballot is the tool available to the people, still

I can remember the happy days of over 80 THB to 1 GBP.

Sadly, even nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Me too. But even if we live another hundred years, I doubt we will see those days again.

21 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Actually Teresa May WAS elected by the largest party in parliament (the Tories) most probably as the rest of the contenders could see that the chalice was poisoned.

What she has done since is entirely her own work.

sure, know that, but not through a GE,

picked by tories

2 minutes ago, baboon said:

Me too. But even if we live another hundred years, I doubt we will see those days again.

After the initial wobble I can see the pound rising again. I'd be happy with 50 or 55 although like anyone would prefer more. Imagine how much harder Brexit would be if we had their mickey mouse currency too!

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

"and work from whatever deal is chosen by parliament"

And if MPs vote to accept May's appalling deal?

Whatever happened to "no deal is better than a bad deal"????

55 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It was inevitable that the uncertainty would continue (and hence the exchange rate remain low) when the govt. made no attempt to prepare for a no deal brexit and continued 'negotiations' for more than 2 years - even though it was obvious that the eu had no intention of genuinely negotiating.....

56 minutes ago, baboon said:

I fear that soon, 43 Baht to the GBPeso will be considered a golden age...

You may be right.  Our MPs have made it clear that they have no intention of a genuine brexit, but also realise that accepting May's 'deal' could result in them losing their seats as the populace know that this is a very bad deal indeed....

Continued uncertainty results in continued low exchange rates.

16 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

You may be right.  Our MPs have made it clear that they have no intention of a genuine brexit, but also realise that accepting May's 'deal' could result in them losing their seats as the populace know that this is a very bad deal indeed....

Continued uncertainty results in continued low exchange rates.

I wouldn't sweat it if I was on your side. A hard Brexit is a distinct possibility given that MPs are only wittering on about what they DON'T want, not what they DO want. There is a fair chance we will simply blunder into a no deal Brexit.

6 hours ago, bristolboy said:

A lot different from calling people "remoaner scum" for wanting another election.

Loon is a crazy person. And the fact that he was threatening other UK citizens who are exercising their right to be in opposition is the kind of things that a crazed and nasty person would say.

And the European Union's Convention on Human Rights does provide considerably more robust protection for individual Britons' liberty than does that vaporous quantity known as the British Constitution.

Here are some examples of loon's that are on the remain side 

Watching Children drown becuase they parents voted leave

Asking Children that are on Life Support Machines if their parents voted Brexit and turning off the life support machine of the child if the parents voted brexit

Or from 

@laurencehazlew1 in France 

Pity we couldn't put the 52% to sleep Permanently.One day euthansia WILL not only be legal but  compuslory for the dregs of Society like Wrecksitters. We'll call it Moral Cleansing

https://twitter.com/JackBMontgomery/status/1078348438784409602/photo/1

I can't recall any video from Pat Condell where he has suggested killing everyone that voted remain

20 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Very pretty, and it does bear a faint resemblance to the EU flag; if the EU had expanded to 32 members! But one small part of the whole display.

Yes, the mayor did say that the fireworks would celebrate London's connections to Europe, not just the EU, as part of the London is open campaign.

Why not? 

What is wrong with trying to attract international business to the capital?

Why are you and the failure Condell and the Brexit media afraid of that?

Do you really think a firework display will influence how people would vote?

Archived