BANGKOK
webfact

Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

1 hour ago, My Thai Life said:

The UK Office of National Statistics reports that exports in the last year to non-EU countries were £342 billion while exports to EU countries were £274 billion.

In the same period, the growth in exports continued to outstrip the growth in imports, almost halving the UK’s trade deficit from £23.4 billion to £15.8 billion. Most exceptionally, since the referendum, exports have increased by £111 billion to £610 billion. (This demonstrates that the BoE pre-referendum forecast was wrong.)

Add to this the fact that British firms raised by far the most venture capital in the EU this year – over 70pc more than France or Germany.

While you are doing the numbers. Calculate what amount of those deals were done by (free) trade agreements, negotiated by EU on behalf of UK and other EU member countries.

The trade agreements UK will no longer have after 3 months. 

44 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

As reported by me a couple of weeks ago:

John Longworth, the former director general of the British Chamber of Commerce, has organized a letter to Conservative MPs to vote down Theresa May’s Brexit deal, describing it as “the worst of all worlds”.

The letter, signed by the heads of medium-sized businesses who have a combined turnover of over £2 billion a year and employ at least 45,000 people nationwide, says that the deal “offers the EU carte blanche to impose uncompetitive and deliberately punitive policies on the UK, selling British business down the river”.

Their preferred alternative is to leave the European Union without a deal. “At present, 92% of British companies do not trade with the EU at all. And this 92% account for 87% of the UK economy.”

While on your previous message you talked about 500 billion exports, now you are talking about 2 billion turnout. That's less than 0.5% of the 500 billion of exports, not turnout. 

45 minutes ago, sandyf said:

For a truly global Britain, we need the Government to enhance specific support for small exporters to reach new customers and to negotiate ambitious UK-specific trade deals with large and emerging markets.

Agreed 100% Sandy.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Grouse said:

By any rational analysis, remaining in the EU is the best option

We should change the EU from within; I think we have many allies now.

The UK economy is knackered. The EU economy is knackered,

so we remain, is your 'rational analysis', why? 

The best way out of this is to be independent from the EU, 

our government must cease being subservient to the banks,

I cant see the EU allowing that if we remain.

UK Banks must be brought to heel and regulated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, My Thai Life said:
3 hours ago, sandyf said:

For a truly global Britain, we need the Government to enhance specific support for small exporters to reach new customers and to negotiate ambitious UK-specific trade deals with large and emerging markets.

Yeah UK banks are not fit for purpose, only 3.5 percent

of business lending by UK banks went into our

manufacturing whilst 60 percent went to financial

intermediaries like private equity funds.

Wheres the government when you need it?

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

They've only just started listening despite ferage & co working among 'em for donkeys.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

I'll remind you again that employment in the UK is at a high,

Work is the best route out of poverty – it’s a slogan popular with politicians both left and right for the past two decades.

But as the country surges towards record numbers of people in work – the number of those in work and in poverty too is also rising.

https://www.channel4.com/news/the-working-poor-britains-families-living-on-the-breadline

• Like 1

By any British person, living and working in the EU, remaining in the EU is the best option, more like.

As for changing the EU from within, well yes, because after all this, if we do end up remaining, the EU will surely be terrified that if they don't listen to our issues, we'll just leave. Can see it now. Britain's PM to the EU: "We've shown you once how easy it is, don't let us have to show you again".

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, rixalex said:

By any British person, living and working in the EU, remaining in the EU is the best option, more like.

As for changing the EU from within, well yes, because after all this, if we do end up remaining, the EU will surely be terrified that if they don't listen to our issues, we'll just leave. Can see it now. Britain's PM to the EU: "We've shown you once how easy it is, don't let us have to show you again".

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You probably don't know but things have changed over the last two or three years. The EU will now be more approachable and changes could be achieved.

Not with Corbyn though. He is not good enough to be leader of the opposition.

This is not a zero sum game. Do you understand that

Aggressive negotiating will fail. The EU is much more interested in mutual consent and concordance.

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 1