Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Not allowed any more under the health and safety rules. The ink may come off the paper, soak through the next layers contaminating the fish and chips and possibly giving you food poisoning.

wow

do I remember that from my student days

black print colour dripping through soggy guardians colouring hands and making

stripes on the fish etc

regardless - enjoy we did

23 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Oh, no - ignored by Grouse! A fate worse than death!

You are indeed honoured (and fortunate) by Grouse ignoring you.

Mostly it is the other way around as people tend to ignore Grouse. He has been on my ignore list for months.

2 hours ago, talahtnut said:

Please don't upset old Grouse, he's the Billy Bunter

entertainment of the forum.

That's an awfully beasty thing to say, Tallers, you rotter. Let's just hope Moderator Quelch missed it!

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

You are indeed honoured (and fortunate) by Grouse ignoring you.

Mostly it is the other way around as people tend to ignore Grouse. He has been on my ignore list for months.

I'll try not to miss him. But it won't be easy.

"OMG, how will we live without our German overlords!!!"

No-deal Brexit is best Brexit.

Good on you boys. There may be a few bumps in the transition, but you'll be better off without that EU cancer infesting you any longer.

Fistbump from 'muricuh.

1 hour ago, Sporf said:

"OMG, how will we live without our German overlords!!!"

No-deal Brexit is best Brexit.

Good on you boys. There may be a few bumps in the transition, but you'll be better off without that EU cancer infesting you any longer.

Fistbump from 'muricuh.

Welcome to the Forum.

Nod and a wink from Blighty.

On 1/27/2019 at 7:21 PM, Grouse said:

Many of my antagonists have disappeared without trace. Whether any of them have gone for the ivory handled revolver and the bottle of scotch I have no idea. We can live in hope! ????

incidentally I originally used my full name but was advised to have an Avatar; I suspect mods thought I might up facing said revolver!

I do miss the Sgt who was my spell checker. Say hi if you come across him and ask if he's got on top of semi-colons yet? Another budding proctologist you see.

Finally, if any "social media" company is found to be a contributing factor in a young person coming to harm, I hope they are fined 1billion for each occurrence followed by a visit to the CEO by Sgt proctologist;

Sorry to disappoint you - but I'm still here..... ????.

22 hours ago, Grouse said:

My point is that staying in CU avoids problems with the Irish Border and resolves the major difficulties for large scale manufacturers. Seems impossible to have a rational discussion here now ????

Exactly. I sense that you may have taken my point the wrong way round. I was merely pointing out to the source of the ridiculous post, I seem to recall the word twit, that the GFA needs to be respected in whatever 'leaving' arrangements are made. A CU would be a fairly sensible solution but as the single market has worked well for the last 20 years it would be a more obvious option.

What many would prefer to ignore regarding the GFA

Irish ministers have tended to focus more on the "spirit" argument rather than making specific legal claims.

For example, last year Foreign Minister Simon Coveney wrote that the agreement had removed "physical and emotional" barriers between communities in Ireland.

He described "the genius" of the agreement as providing a framework for "all of the relationships on our two islands - between communities in Northern Ireland, between north and south on the island of Ireland, and across the Irish Sea."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-46988529

We used to hear about the brain drain, now its all down the brexit drain.

Barclays has been given the all clear by the High Court to shift €190bn (£160bn) of its clients' assets to Ireland as it ramps up preparations for Brexit.

The move which affects around 5,000 clients, can take place after judges approved it on Wednesday.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/barclays-moves-assets-uk-ireland-no-deal-brexit-preparations-a8755336.html

It was all claimed to be project fear, of course there are those that believe the government will do the decent thing and step up to the plate.

The UK lost more than €5bn (£4.5bn) in infrastructure funding in a year as lending from the EU collapsed following the Brexit vote, a powerful Lords committee has said.

Peers warned that major infrastructure projects would be hurt further if the government fails to "plug the funding gap" when Britain loses access to the European Investment Bank (EIB) after Brexit, as ministers have relied on the EIB to fund major projects such as Crossrail and Manchester's tram extension.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-brexit-cost-referendum-eu-finance-eib-lords-transport-a8754656.html

The only noteworthy article seen this morning that isn't yet on these boards:

There has been a lot of talk over the last couple of days about the so-called ‘Malthouse Compromise’, but what does it actually entail? Below is a summary of the proposals.

https://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2019/01/what-the-malthouse-compromise-entails.html

Further example of UK 'getting on with it':

The UK and Chile have today signed a new trade continuity agreement.

This trade continuity agreement will see British businesses and consumers benefitting from preferential trading arrangements with Chile after we leave the European Union. 

Her Majesty’s Ambassador to Chile Jamie Bowden signed the UK-Chile agreement in Santiago today (Wednesday 30 January) with Chilean Foreign Minister Roberto Ampuero. 

The news has been welcomed by the Wine and Spirit Trade Association, which confirmed that this is important to protect parts of the UK’s wine industry, which contributes almost £19 billion to the UK economy supporting around 190,000 jobs.

More:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-and-chile-sign-continuity-agreement

17 minutes ago, evadgib said:

This trade continuity agreement will see British businesses and consumers benefitting from preferential trading arrangements with Chile after we leave the European Union. 

Her Majesty’s Ambassador to Chile Jamie Bowden signed the UK-Chile agreement in Santiago today (Wednesday 30 January) with Chilean Foreign Minister Roberto Ampuero. 

The news has been welcomed by the Wine and Spirit Trade Association, which confirmed that this is important to protect parts of the UK’s wine industry, which contributes almost £19 billion to the UK economy supporting around 190,000 jobs.

More:

I assume such a deal has to be formally approved by Parliament, before it enters into force?

Anyhow, apparently the trade deals the UK got through the EU weren’t really that bad, as they are being copied into bilateral deals now?

44 minutes ago, evadgib said:

More:

very good,

relations with Chile should not be taken lightly, vast country with vast resources

and quite a bit more focused on reality than the average ass-licking South American countries

52 minutes ago, evadgib said:

More:

Here's a link to the UK's top 49 trading partners as of 2015. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_largest_trading_partners_of_United_Kingdom

Chile is nowhere to be found.

Think you all missed the goal of  Baldrick's cunning plan ..... by the time we re-apply to join we'll be slimmer, and even meaner, gdp and gbp will plummet and so we will eventually become a net gainer rather a net contributor even taking into account the loss of all the present rebates which Mr Barnier would insist upon us losing! Win-win?

9 minutes ago, Disaantri said:

Think you all missed the goal of  Baldrick's cunning plan ..... by the time we re-apply to join we'll be slimmer, and even meaner, gdp and gbp will plummet and so we will eventually become a net gainer rather a net contributor even taking into account the loss of all the present rebates which Mr Barnier would insist upon us losing! Win-win?

Does this mean British plumbers will be on the London-Warsaw express (third class)?

Extreme Brexit 'could' be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

Use of the word 'could' also can mean it could not.

My saying 'I could win the lottery tomorrow' also might mean 'I could not win the lottery tomorrow.'

The BoE are pro EU financiers who are just scaremongering.

5 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Extreme Brexit 'could' be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

Use of the word 'could' also can mean it could not.

My saying 'I could win the lottery tomorrow' also might mean 'I could not win the lottery tomorrow.'

The BoE are pro EU financiers who are just scaremongering.

What is it with the block capitals and bold print? Are you suffering from Brexit Blindness, a chronic condition where the patient is both long sighted (unable to see looming events), and short sighted (unable to see long distance outcomes clearly). 

31 minutes ago, bannork said:

What is it with the block capitals and bold print? Are you suffering from Brexit Blindness, a chronic condition where the patient is both long sighted (unable to see looming events), and short sighted (unable to see long distance outcomes clearly). 

Dont take any notice of bannork, he uses a white stick.

Sometimes he forgets to put a rubber on the end of it.

1 minute ago, talahtnut said:

Dont take any notice of bannork, he uses a white stick.

Sometimes he forgets to put a rubber on the end of it.

I need the white stick to keep gnasher at bay when she has has a turn having heard too much classical music.

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

More:

chile ???? what are we going to sell them,maybe a lot of nissans,toyota's,landrover's and honda's,whoops i forgot they wont be built here soon,and the UKs wine industry is not worth £19 billion to the UK ecomomy i know,and 190,000 jobs are not dependant on it either and as we import 99% of our wine,this preferential trading agreement will benefit Chile not the small UK wine producers,if anything it will harm them,total nothing of an agreement which is why it was only signed by the ambassador,no jobs created in the UK from it,total nothing of an article that would of gone unnoticed without brexit,and will probably be void anyway with us remaining in the CU and SM

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Here's a link to the UK's top 49 trading partners as of 2015. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_largest_trading_partners_of_United_Kingdom

Chile is nowhere to be found.

the brexiteers are clutching at straws,iam still waiting to see one worthwhile example which will replace the EU,SM and CU,Chile is just embarrassing,that agreement isnt worth the piece of paper its written on to the UK economy,pathetic,i bet the UK wine makers are furious,what next an agreement with argentina to import their whisky????

11 hours ago, sandyf said:

We used to hear about the brain drain, now its all down the brexit drain.

Barclays has been given the all clear by the High Court to shift €190bn (£160bn) of its clients' assets to Ireland as it ramps up preparations for Brexit.

The move which affects around 5,000 clients, can take place after judges approved it on Wednesday.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/barclays-moves-assets-uk-ireland-no-deal-brexit-preparations-a8755336.html

no fear we have deal with chile to buy their wine,the UK is not doomed just yet.

Archived