Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

18 hours ago, Loiner said:

You’ve missed the point. Same product, both sides of Brexit day. Same manufacturers and same trading businesses.
You are just looking for problems that don’t really exist. Anybody would think you didn’t want to Leave the EU.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

And anyone would think that those that are quite prepared to ignore procedure would be happy for anarchy to reign. Would appear to be the intention of many.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, nontabury said:

Correct. No jobs are expected to be lost. Regarding the x-trail, this model has been put on hold,due to market uncertainty, not exclusively to Brexit.

What you will see now,is that every time a company makes a negative decision based on market expectations, the remoaners will delight in trying to put the blame on Brexit. 

Not on hold and leaving the EU is a relevant factor.

"For those reasons the company has decided to optimise our investments and concentrate production in Kyushu, instead of adding another production site. For the European business, this does not change the fact that X-Trail is – and will continue to be – a crucial model for us.

“Today’s announcement will be interpreted by a lot of people as a decision related to Brexit. We have taken this decision for the business reasons I’ve explained, but clearly the uncertainty around the UK’s future relationship with the EU is not helping companies like ours to plan for the future.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/nissan-brexit-sunderland-japan-job-cuts-uk-eu-trade-exports-no-deal-gianluca-de-ficchy-a8760756.html

21 hours ago, Loiner said:

So not a real problem then, just EU protectionist measures. They could just say "Well we used BS to make many of our EN anyway. Unless UK suddenly starts changing their standards from 30th March, a new (or the old) BSI kitemark will suffice for a while." But they and you Remainers wouldn't would you?

Yes it is about protection, consumer protection, but consumers are not very high on the paranoids list of priorities.

As for BSI, I used to sit on a committee but you are free to think what you like.

Yes it is about protection, consumer protection, but consumers are not very high on the paranoids list of priorities.
As for BSI, I used to sit on a committee but you are free to think what you like.

I’m not the paranoid one here, I’m quite relaxed about interim standards markings.

As a nod to Laurel & Hardy, regarding my freedom to think what I like: “I certainly will.”

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, bomber said:

the model has not been put on hold at all,youre wrong,it WILL be produced in japan after initially being meant to be built in sunderland,how much is down to brexit only the big chiefs will know,a brexiteer will claim 0% a remainer 100%,probably nearer the latter imo,you will find the job loses will come later as to break the bad news in stages,as will the future moving of production overseas,as i have stated on here oh so many times,i expect similar to come from toyota,jal,and honda in the next week few weeks/months,do you?  or maybe you can tell us which big companies are expected to land,cos ive not read/heard of any,just 2bob agreements with tinpot chile,iran ????

I doubt Brexiters have the cross cultural skills to know that the Nissan statement is as close as they will ever get to saying "It's because of Brexit, you morons, BREXIT"

35 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I doubt Brexiters have the cross cultural skills to know that the Nissan statement is as close as they will ever get to saying "It's because of Brexit, you morons, BREXIT"

Real reason why Nissan not producing new diesel model in the UK or EU

DIESEL cars are set to be banned in three major European cities in a bid to clampdown on emissions.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1060112/diesel-cars-ban-Europe-EU-Madrid-Paris-Brussels

MOTORISTS can now be fined for driving on ultra-low emissions streets in areas of London. Here's what areas will be affected and how much a motorist can be penalised.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1012260/Petrol-diesel-ban-London-air-pollution-fine

European commissioner: 'Diesel cars are finished'

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/european-commissioner-diesel-cars-are-finished

11 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

This wouldn't be front page news if it wasn't for Brexit. The plant in Sunderland produces the Juke which is a successful car sold across Europe and as I understand it no jobs are being lost. Am I missing something ?

You may be missing something if you read the link from madmen.

Try this link from the BBC news website this morning.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47107561

By Rob Young, BBC business reporter

There's been a run of bad news from the car industry in recent months.

Job losses have been announced at Jaguar Land Rover and Ford and the cancellation of Nissan's X-Trail investment at its Sunderland plant is just the latest disappointment from a sector that was booming a few years ago.

There are many who want to say this is all down to Brexit. But it's not.

Declining car sales in China, the world's biggest car market, have unnerved the industry worldwide. As have falling car sales and an economic rough patch in Europe.

There are questions over whether diesel technology has a future after governments, who pushed it hard until a few years ago, and drivers, who previously liked its fuel efficiency, have become less keen on it.

In the UK, this is all set against the backdrop of Brexit uncertainty.

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

It never ceases to amaze me how you university intellectuals stick together.

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

8 minutes ago, vogie said:

With a bit of luck his insulting post will be deleted, but even if it isn't - there's no point in stooping to his level.

Edit - These types of posts are best ignored....

7 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I am very much so. Was brought up watching them as a child. Great memories. They both had a great but sad life and both died poor considering their fame. I use to be a member of their fan club years ago. Laughing Gravy was one of my favourite films. I will look out for this one. Comedy geniuses.

My kids love 'em too despite not being born until this century ????

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

That is because he is a university intellectual and much smarter and cleverer that all us uneducated dumb Brexiteers who don't know their place in society.

Sadly I don't have a forelock to touch and say "Yes Master" every time he condescends to speak (or post) to us lower classes.

I believe that he thinks that his is the John Cleese role in life while the rest of us peasants belong in the Ronnie Corbett role.

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Its you who doesnt have the ability to understand what was written .

It was stated that Brexit wasnt the reason for the move , it was the low sales forecasts and the new emmission rules , although it was stated that the uncertainty over Brexit wasnt helpful .

You read the report, completely ignored what was stated and then made up a quote to fit in with your misguided opinion .

23 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It was stated that Brexit wasnt the reason for the move , it was the low sales forecasts and the new emmission rules , although it was stated that the uncertainty over Brexit wasnt helpful .

You read the report, completely ignored what was stated and then made up a quote to fit in with your misguided opinion .

Nissan can withstand the loss of the xtrail regardless of how much brexit was or wasnt  behind it,the big decisions are to come in the next 12-24 months,it already makes the electric leaf so you would think it would build the other models there that will eventually have to change,the other producers will also have to make their decisions in the near future,but i will be amazed if the industry employs the same amount of people it does at present in 3-6 years,brexit love it or hate it has shown the world the UK is not the best place to do bizzness,also iam still waiting for someone to show me a statistic or a report where a company has came here in the last 2.5 years and created 100s of jobs through the rewards of us leaving the EU,over to you vinny,vogie,aright and co

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

DIESEL cars are set to be banned in three major European cities in a bid to clampdown on emissions.

Complete <deleted>, typical Express manipulation. Not surprised you fell for it. And then complaining about The Guardian and being called uninformed? Wonder why...

14 minutes ago, bomber said:

iam still waiting for someone to show me a statistic or a report where a company has came here in the last 2.5 years and created 100s of jobs through the rewards of us leaving the EU,over to you vinny,vogie,aright and co

I doubt if any of these qualify but i'll post anyway as they're nonetheless current.

17 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Complete <deleted>, typical Express manipulation. Not surprised you fell for it. And then complaining about The Guardian and being called uninformed? Wonder why...

It’s the only way forward': Madrid bans polluting vehicles from city centre

From Friday, only vehicles producing zero emissions will be allowed to drive freely in downtown Madrid – making it a pollution pioneer in Europe

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/nov/30/its-the-only-way-forward-madrid-bans-polluting-vehicles-from-city-centre

Greater Paris to ban old diesel cars from summer 2019

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-paris-pollution/greater-paris-to-ban-old-diesel-cars-from-summer-2019-idUSKCN1NH2BC

Cities Around Paris Strike a Rare Agreement to Ban Diesel Cars

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2018/11/ile-de-france-metropole-paris-diesel-car-ban/575710/

Which vehicles will be banned from driving in Brussels from 2018?

• Old diesel vehicles (EURO 1 and vehicles without a
  • EURO standard) are banned from the Brussels region from 1 January 2018. The ban will gradually be extended to other vehicles up to EURO 5 standard diesel vehicles in 2025.

• In 2019, the access criteria are changing: EURO 2-standard diesel vehicles and EURO 1-standard petrol vehicles or petrol vehicles without a EURO standard will also be prohibited in the Region. 
  • The Mayor's new £10 'Toxicity Charge' for London’s most polluting cars

The Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has launched a £10 toxicity ‘T-Charge’ aimed at older, more polluting vehicles on London roads.

The T-Charge, which went into force on 23 October 2017, applies mainly to diesel and petrol vehicles registered before 2006, but also includes later models.

https://www.london.gov.uk/what-we-do/transport/mayors-new-ps10-toxicity-charge-londons-most-polluting-cars

How European cities are battling diesel-polluted air

https://phys.org/news/2018-10-european-cities-diesel-polluted-air.html

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

It’s the only way forward': Madrid bans polluting vehicles from city centre

From Friday, only vehicles producing zero emissions will be allowed to drive freely in downtown Madrid – making it a pollution pioneer in Europe

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/nov/30/its-the-only-way-forward-madrid-bans-polluting-vehicles-from-city-centre

Greater Paris to ban old diesel cars from summer 2019

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-paris-pollution/greater-paris-to-ban-old-diesel-cars-from-summer-2019-idUSKCN1NH2BC

Cities Around Paris Strike a Rare Agreement to Ban Diesel Cars

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2018/11/ile-de-france-metropole-paris-diesel-car-ban/575710/

Which vehicles will be banned from driving in Brussels from 2018?

• Old diesel vehicles (EURO 1 and vehicles without a
  • EURO standard) are banned from the Brussels region from 1 January 2018. The ban will gradually be extended to other vehicles up to EURO 5 standard diesel vehicles in 2025.

• In 2019, the access criteria are changing: EURO 2-standard diesel vehicles and EURO 1-standard petrol vehicles or petrol vehicles without a EURO standard will also be prohibited in the Region. 
  • The Mayor's new £10 'Toxicity Charge' for London’s most polluting cars

The Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has launched a £10 toxicity ‘T-Charge’ aimed at older, more polluting vehicles on London roads.

The T-Charge, which went into force on 23 October 2017, applies mainly to diesel and petrol vehicles registered before 2006, but also includes later models.

https://www.london.gov.uk/what-we-do/transport/mayors-new-ps10-toxicity-charge-londons-most-polluting-cars

How European cities are battling diesel-polluted air

https://phys.org/news/2018-10-european-cities-diesel-polluted-air.html

Thanks for confirming that you and the Express wrote nonsense. The clickbaiting of yellow press papers like the Express works because people like you only read the headlines. 

22 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Thanks for confirming that you and the Express wrote nonsense. The clickbaiting of yellow press papers like the Express works because people like you only read the headlines. 

Nothing of the sort it confirms the real reason why Nissan have chosen not to build the new x-trail in the UK or the EU , Brexit may have play a part but the main reason is the EU diesel emissions and falling diesel sales

NISSAN bosses have confirmed the next-generation X-Trail SUV will be made in Japan instead of Sunderland but new European diesel emissions rules rather than Brexit lie behind the change of heart.

Chairman Gianluca de Ficchy said so much had changed since October 2016 when plans to build the X-Trail and Qashqai in the UK that the Japanese firm had been left with little choice but to switch production to its Kyushu plant. He said the Japanese factory was already geared up to make the X-Trail and that it now made sense to concentrate production there. Mr de Ficchy said: "At that time they were both planned as 'traditional' models, powered by internal combustion engines."

He continued: “X-Trail was already going to be made in Kyushu, but there was a good business case for bringing production to Europe as well.

"Since that time, as you know, the environment for the car industry in Europe has changed dramatically.

“To meet the changing emissions regulations we've had to invest much more in new powertrains for our future models like X-Trail.

“At the same time, the volume forecasts for X-Trail in Europe have reduced.

"For those reasons the company has decided to optimise our investments and concentrate production in Kyushu, instead of adding another production site.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1082140/EU-brexit-latest-news-theresa-may-withdrawal-agreement-european-union-june-election

Makes all your anti Brexit posts pointless

20 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Nothing of the sort it confirms the real reason why Nissan have chosen not to build the new x-trail in the UK or the EU , Brexit may have play a part but the main reason is the EU diesel emissions and falling diesel sales

You claimed the “Real reason why Nissan not producing new diesel model in the UK or EU” is because “DIESEL cars are set to be banned in three major European cities (...)” That’s complete nonsense, an outright lie — diesel cars are not set to be banned anywhere in Europe. You should read more than the headline, especially with yellow press media like the Express who love to manipulate people that way. 

35 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

You claimed the “Real reason why Nissan not producing new diesel model in the UK or EU” is because “DIESEL cars are set to be banned in three major European cities (...)” That’s complete nonsense, an outright lie — diesel cars are not set to be banned anywhere in Europe. You should read more than the headline, especially with yellow press media like the Express who love to manipulate people that way. 

I Suggest you re-read my posts which clearly details which cities in Europe where certain types of diesel cars will not be permitted 

Suggest you also read past the headlines for example when you posted that Carmaker taciturn on reports about Sunderland plant, as fears grow over Brexit impact , completely ignoring major drop in diesel sales and new EU diesel emissions rules 

6 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I Suggest you re-read my posts which clearly details which cities in Europe where certain types of diesel cars will not be permitted 

now we have it,certain types,probably 20-30 year old euro 3 and 4 models which are as rare as rocking horse siht,i remember reading a while back france wanted all diesels obsolete by 2030 or 2040 

So we are 2 months away from crashing out of the EU with no deal and no idea of what we want to do for the future. Nothing is ready for this eventuality .

When will we admit our political system is broken?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-times-view-on-the-poverty-of-leadership-exposed-by-brexit-the-state-of-politics-37vldzqpg

44 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Re-reading your post again, I can confirm that you wrote the “Real reason why Nissan not producing new diesel model in the UK or EU” is because “DIESEL carare set to be banned in three major European cities (...)”

You definitely did not write “certain types of diesel cars will be banned”. 

7EE160BC-6266-4DE2-8D96-E76EF57CC8BF.jpeg

6 hours ago, vinny41 said:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1060112/diesel-cars-ban-Europe-EU-Madrid-Paris-Brussels

MOTORISTS can now be fined for driving on ultra-low emissions streets in areas of London. Here's what areas will be affected and how much a motorist can be penalised.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1012260/Petrol-diesel-ban-London-air-pollution-fine

European commissioner: 'Diesel cars are finished'

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/european-commissioner-diesel-cars-are-finished

In which case they will use a different engine!

We should be seeing more capital investment NOT less. Electric, hybrid, petrol? You think there will be no 4x4s? 

????

5 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

With a bit of luck his insulting post will be deleted, but even if it isn't - there's no point in stooping to his level.

Edit - These types of posts are best ignored....

So do you have cross cultural skills via a vis Japanese business culture?

Well? Do you?

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

I doubt you have done much business in Japan. It is hard to get direct responses in the way one would like. Maybe really means no etc. interesting and complex culture.

Archived